LegacyGT.com

Opinions stg3 on build

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For sure. Send me a PM if you do ever decide to come to town. I have a few friends in West Lafayette too, from when I went to Purdue for a few years. Now I want some Mad Mushroom pizza and cheese sticks. Bring some with you when you visit ;)

I'll make sure to keep the pizza on the passenger seat with the seat heater on full blast on the way up to keep it warm.

It's cool; I'm with the band

• 3 weeks later...

I finally picked my car up last Friday. Everything was perfect, other than a bad front O2 sensor, which has already been replaced. I'm stuck with a 3k RPM rev limit for the first 1500 miles of break-in (only 900 more to go), and hitting fuel cut at 80 MPH on the highway is NOT cool. I had my first oil change and everything looks good. After 1500 miles, I am allowed to get a moderate tune (~16psi max), then at 3000 miles I can go nuts (can't wait!).

I absolutely love the exhaust tone of the Tomei EL headers (yes, the boxer rumble is still there, just much nicer and "cleaner" sounding). The Tomei cams make the idle super smooooth. Considering I'm not boosting more than 3-4psi, drivability feels better than stock. Oh, and I like how my calculated MPGs on the gauge cluster shows me at 45+ mpgs (1000cc injectors)...

I will post more updates as I get tuned and can open her up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

You might have a difficult time finding someone running the same turbo as me, since I have the 4th one made (according to the serial number) and the second one (that I know of) that is installed. I will be getting a mild tune this Friday with about 15-16psi of boost on 93 pump, then come spring I will be tuning on E85 with 25+ psi boost. I am being told expect pretty quick spool (~3500 RPM) and little drop-off up to redline (cams help also). The first person to install TR's TD06-20G blew his motor during the 3rd pull (stock internals), but before that happened, the tuner said he saw a lot of potential and already had some impressive results and can't wait until he starts tuning me for E85. I will be getting road tuned, but when there is an open dyno day at one of the local subi shops, I will get dyno numbers and post them. When will that be? I'm not sure, so stay tuned...

My next dilemma is if i should try to squeeze out every last bit of my Perrin TMIC, or go with AVO's FMIC. I like the 'sleeper' appeal of a TMIC, but the efficiency of a FMIC.

Then it'd be a true sleeper, only saavy car guys would look for the FMIC in the bumper. The others would be like "Oh, no scoop means no turbo which means no power." If you really want to mess with them, take off the spec b badge...sleeper to the extreme ;)

But I really like the hood scoop :( Maybe I can get a 3.0R hood and put a fake scoop on that ;)

Either way, I am leaning a bit more toward the FMIC route. I would just have it coated black. I still have time to figure it out since I'm waiting til Spring for the E85 tune.

I have considered itme's FMIC, but I'm not looking to go the cheapest route. For a bit more money, I can get something with less bends, joints, and rubber piping, and an intercooler that looks to flow more efficiently. I'm not saying I dislike itme's FMIC. He has a very nice product and I was actually looking to purchase it before I went with my build.

AVO:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/images/stories/07_press_release/07PR_bp_leg_fmic/bp_bl_fmic_small.jpg

itsme:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/P1060206.jpg

I think AVO makes the best kit out there... For now. I should have a couple FMICs for my LGTs from a company that has been teasing me for almost 4 years. I won't know for a couple months, but these will be better than the AVO when it comes to quality. I'll keep ya posted...

I like the AVO FMIC but I went with the racerX (itsme) unit. Unless you need a core that large, it's going to create more lag than a smaller core (itsme) would.

Also, I can't believe that for $1200 you still get crappy worm drive clamps.

I think AVO makes the best kit out there... For now. I should have a couple FMICs for my LGTs from a company that has been teasing me for almost 4 years. I won't know for a couple months, but these will be better than the AVO when it comes to quality. I'll keep ya posted...

What a tease!:spin:

:yeahthat:

Went to the shop yesterday for a long day of tuning. Everything was going good until we started doing 4th gear pulls. Knock was showing up at 5500RPM at 22psi and 12* of timing was being pulled. Tweaked the tune and then knock was showing up at 3k RPM. We took it easy on the way back to the shop and knock was showing up randomly while diving.Hooked up some detcans to rule out a faulty knock sensor, and no knock was heard. Just a LOT of transmissions noise and my Perrin TMIC, which isn't the best fit after the turbo swap.

Long story short, I get to go back Thursday to replace the knock sensor and install group-N motor, trans, and pitch stop mounts; then try to finish the tune.

In the meantime, I'm on wastegate boost (~21psi) and the rev limit has been removed. I am driving nicely until Thrusday, so I won't be able to see what the car can really do. But at 22psi during the 4th gear pull, I was hitting 22psi by 3400 RPM and dropping off to 21.7 by 7kRPM. This will be my 93 octane tune. Spring will call for the E85 and 28psi tune :D This thing is a rocket ship...

I have decided to go with the FMIC, so my Perrin TMIC will be for sale soon.