LegacyGT.com

Opinions stg3 on build

I'm not on E85 yet. That tune will come hoefully mid-June when I plan on geting a new clutch. But it's still nice to know my build has finally come together. And I thought something was a bit too good to be true when I saw the logs of my airflow.

Interesting. There are different ways to set up those tables, and it is not wrong, just different, the end results can be identical.

But no, you are not flowing 475 g/s, that is seriously GT35R territory. In fact you would need to be pushing 30 psi to hit that g/s territory.

So not ragging on your car, it does sound like a nice 20G build.:)

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I have the worst luck, ever....

Today I start my car to let it warm up in the garage (door open, of course) and the whole garage immediately fills up with smoke from the exhaust. Definitely smells of oil. I have an oil pressure gauge and I keep a close eye on that, but there was nothing out of the ordinary over the past 3 days. I check the oil level and it's just at/a bit under the low mark. It was at the top mark on the dipstick Friday night. I barely went through a tank of gas over the past 3 days (didn't keep track of the miles).

Any ideas what it could be now?

I was actually relieved to find out the turbo went, instead of something more serious. I'm at the point where I'm not even upset anymore. I'm just disappointed and want my car running properly. I've actually considered getting it to a stable condition and just getting rid of it, but I've got a good chunk of money "invested" into it that I'd probably end up being at a bigger loss.

The turbo will hopefully be warrantied by Tomioka Racing (shop is waiting for a call back), so that won't be any cost to me. It sucks that I have such an awesome car that I can't drive.

Good thing I have a second vehicle, otherwise this would suck so much more.

I don't see why Tomioka wouldn't come through... Nobody else that I know of is using this turbo, so they'd probably want a good name for themselves. I almost purchased one of these a few months ago... I wonder what happened with yours.

I have one of their pre-production models. Serial number is 2... That's probably the main reason. I also got it for way less than cost.

EDIT: Got some good news from TR! RMA process has been started and they are sending out a new turbo :D

Edited by Strizzy

Tell me about it...

If we were to trade cars, I'd be back at square 1 and looking to modify. I can't leave ANYTHING stock. It just doesn't work that way for me. :lol:

But then that gives me the chance to do a few things different with that build compared to this one. First things that pop in my head would be to sleeve the block and go with a twin-scroll 30r. Hmmmm..... you might be on to something. Just let me keep my front LSD, wheels/tires, and steering wheel.

• 3 weeks later...
Not yet. I'm waiting for a response from TR. At first they were going to send a new turbo then I would send mine back, but they changed their mind and had me send it in first to be inspected before sending out a new one. UPS shows they got it Monday, so hopefully they realize it's broken and send a new one.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after a long enough time, TR has finally shipped me my replacement turbo. But during that time, I decided I couldn't wait anymore and purchased a Tomei ARMS M7960. And as luck would have it, they are both due to be delivered this week. I got the Tomei for significantly less than what they normally retail.

My question is what some of you would prefer to have if you these had two turbo's in hand. Tomioka Racing TD06-20G (LGT flange) or Tomei's M7960 (STI style). I'm running AVO's fmic, so they both will fit.

I'm already tuned for the TR turbo, so I would need some tweaking of my tune to get the Tomei unit running to it's fullest. But I feel that the Tomei would probably be a more reliable turbo. And from my understanding, I may lose a bit on the top end with it though.

Or does anyone want to make me an offer on either of the brand new turbos? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My luck is just awesome!! The Tomei turbo that was shipped to the shop was NOT the correct one. But I did get my replacement TR, which is now installed. The correct Tomei turbo will not ship out until July 11, and I can't wait that long without a car.

Anyways, so far so good with the new TR. I have about 40 more miles with breaking it in, then I can get into boost :D

I also has some Cusco Zero 2 coilovers installed while I was waiting for the turbo and I like the ride way more than the Cobb springs with my Bilstein struts.

But wait! There's more!

I only had the new turbo in for 120 miles, no boost. Over the last day, I noticed the same thing happening when it went out the first time. I was getting large amounts of smoke from the exhaust and when coming to a stop, I would get a strong odor of burning oil.

I just want it all to end and start working properly :icon_frow

Edited by Strizzy
turbo was not the problem