LegacyGT.com

Opinions stg3 on build

I'm just waiting to "wake-up" and have everything back to normal.

But that's just not going to happen.

I did stop by the shop today during my "lunch break" and they seem to think it's just residual oil in my intercooler when the first turbo went. Since I'm running a front mount and went through about 3+ quarts of oil in 200 miles, I could see that making a little sense. I'm going to give it a week or two to clear up, as I'm just starting to go into boost a bit. Or if I find time this weekend, I'll take off the front mount and rinse it out.

Either way, I still have a new turbo on order (which won't ship until July 11) :spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin: :spin::spin::spin::spin: :spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Edited by Strizzy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Sort of an update...

Still pulling my hair out, but I think we got this figured out.

First off, the turbo(s) were never the issue. After installing the Tomei, I was back to my same oil issues. After a lot of cursing, head banging, trying to figure stuff out, etc. (including stumping Rao, after about an hour or so of going through everything), the issue turned out to be my heads being pressurized and spitting oil back into the intake. Lots of oil. About a quart every 10 or so miles. If I don't get into boost though, it's not that bad. My catch can would fill up after 2 or 3 good pulls.

After retracing my steps and trying to figure out when the problems first started, I realized it was when I went FMIC. My air pump had to be removed, and that is where I'm pretty sure my problem lies. When the pump was removed, I never had the block-off plates installed. I left the solenoids in place and figured that they only open during cold starts and that the butterfly valves would do pretty much the same thing as the block-off plates. Considering that is the ONLY thing that was changed when going FMIC (besides the FMIC itself), it's hard to believe it is just coincidence my problem started happening at the same time. And the fact that there is probably a good reason to have block-off plates installed, this is probably the reason.

I finally had time to get around to installing the block-off plates this week, so that will be finished today. I am also swapping back to the TR 20G turbo. I already spend the time/money to get it tuned, and the response and power from it is amazing. I didn't get a chance to really tune the Tomei, but at 18psi it was pretty quick. For what I originally planned for. The 20G is where I want to stay. So I will either hold on to the Tomei for a future change of mind, or sell it to get some of my money back.

As of right now, I'm taking back the bad things I've said about TR. When I initially thought the turbo went bad and sent it in for replacement, they sent me a new one probably for no real reason. So I give them credit for handling the situation as a sort of no-questions-asked deal. Even though they said they inspected the turbo and agreed the seal was blown, they might have just seen all the oil in it and decided to not even open it up to really inspect it. But who knows.

I'll have a final update in a few hours when everything is back together and running again.

UPDATE:

I thought I had bad luck before, but this is getting ridiculous.

I'll just get to the point and tell you my piston took another crap. Yay.

At least I know my problem now and I get to do another rebuild.

How's the saying go? Third time's the charm? Or something like that...

Sucks big time. I just did a complete rebuild a few months ago. Due for my tune in a few weeks. Funny. Even though my motor is built, I feel nervous about really pushing it. As if something bad were,going to happen. Never felt that way with my original motor. Anyways. Here's wishing u the best on ur latest go around. FYI. I went with Cosworth pistons. .1400 miles at 16psi. So far so good.
____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

As of right now, my current rebuild plan is to use Manley pistons and rods, or go completely custom. But going custom means more downtime, which I don't want.

If I order the Manley pistons/rods, I can have my shortblock out and machined by next week and ready for re-assembly. I'd be looking at a 2 week turnaround time then another 1500 miles under 3k RPM for break-in.

As of right now, my current rebuild plan is to use Manley pistons and rods, or go completely custom. But going custom means more downtime, which I don't want.

If I order the Manley pistons/rods, I can have my shortblock out and machined by next week and ready for re-assembly. I'd be looking at a 2 week turnaround time then another 1500 miles under 3k RPM for break-in.

Just my experience. I went totally contrary to what I was told. I was given a low boost map, around 7psi. I ended up switching my map to the Cobb stage 2 map because my idle was so low, the car kept shutting off. Anyway. I drove the car fairly normally. Revved to around 5500 rpm. Occasionally did some WOT pulls around 3 or 4 per day. Let the car decelerate on it's own. So far the motor runs great. Like I said, it's just my experience. If you search on line, I'm sure you'll find around 5 or more different philosophies on how to properly break in a new engine. I'm just suggesting that maybe you don't have to pussyfoot it around for 1,500 miles for your break in. Just a thought.

____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

Mahle has a known issue with their rings, which I got to experience first hand, twice.

I currently have 100mm pistons in the block now, and I'm hoping all I need is an easy hone and be able to drop in another set of 100mm pistons. I should be fine with standard sized main and rod bearings. And since everything will be apart again, I figured I'll just toss in better rods. I'm hoping to get the SB to the machine shop by next week. I'm really trying to "fast-track" this one. I just want to drive my car already...

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who may be wondering what's going on with my never ending build, I couldn't reuse my block, so I've been trying to locate just the case halves for that last two weeks. The shop I've been working with found some and are giving them to me at no cost.

I currently have/have on order:

CP 100mm pistons

Manley rods

ACL bearings

OEM gasket kit

Stg3 6MT Competition Clutch

KillerB Oil pickup

KillerB windage tray

Cosworth TGV deletes

That's pretty much all I'm adding/doing different this time around.

If I continue to have issues after the motor is re-re-re-rebuilt, then I'm sending the car off to Mythbusters to be blown up.

Oh, and my Prodrive mufflers came in yesterday...

Edited by Strizzy

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update:

I decided not to rush things with this final build, so I let the machine shop take some extra time with it to make sure everything is right. I pick up the shortblock today, then in the next couple days swap over my heads and other parts, then put it back in the car.

I also decided to go with an EWG setup. GTSPEC ewg UP with a TurboSmart 45mm EWG.

So just to update my complete build/part list:

Nitrated crank

CP Pistons

Manley rods

ACL Race bearings

ARP Head Studs

OEM Gaskets

Tomioka Racing TD06-20g

ID 1000cc Injectors

Walbro Fuel pump

Tomei EL Headers

GTSPEC EWG up pipe

TurboSmart 45mm EWG

Tomei 252 Poncams

STI 11mm oil pump

GMS inlet

KStech 73mm CAI

AVO FMIC

Forge BPV

Stg3 6MT Competition Clutch

Air pump delete

KillerB Oil pickup

KillerB windage tray

Cosworth TGV deletes

HOA ebcs

AEM MAP sensor

CNT catless DP

Perrin mid/y-pipe

Prodrive mufflers

Cusco Zero2 coilovers

Cobb f/r swaybars

Stoptech BBK 4-pot front/2-pot rear

Project mu brake lines

STI helical front LSD

Rota SVX 18x8.5 +45

Falken Azenis RT-615K 245/45-18

And that is all I can remember off hand.

I picked up the shortblock Wednesday night before the machine shop closed at 8. For anyone wondering and thinking my issues are with the builder, this is the machine shop that is used by AMS, P&L, and some other well known performance shops, for ALL of their motor builds and shortblocks they sell.

Being sick all week sucks. I'm hoping I can get to swapping the heads this weekend. I will have the car running by end of next week though.

I can't wait to get this monster back on the road again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll let you guess how this post is going to end up....

Anyways, here are some pictures of the old shortblock with the heads off.

I initially thought I only had one piston giving me problems, but it ended up being ALL 4.

Here's the driver's side:

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-7g5fxtN/0/X2/i-7g5fxtN-X2.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-hqM8M86/0/X2/i-hqM8M86-X2.jpg

And the passenger side:

(this side wasn't as bad)

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-jnFwW5F/0/X2/i-jnFwW5F-X2.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-wt2n2N9/0/X2/i-wt2n2N9-X2.jpg

Now, to move on to what I never would have expected....

(I'll let the pictures do the explaining)

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-5s49mJv/0/X2/i-5s49mJv-X2.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-HTsR3gt/0/X2/i-HTsR3gt-X2.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-sd5pHsX/0/X2/i-sd5pHsX-X2.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-4z7szcT/0/X2/i-4z7szcT-X2.jpg

http://www.strizzyphoto.com/photos/i-MXZ29nZ/0/X2/i-MXZ29nZ-X2.jpg

This is a Tomei cam. Just found this out last night after removing the cam gears. I sent them pictures and already have a replacement on its way.

I think I'm out of bad luck now... hopefully.

Right now, the cam is the only thing holding me back from putting the motor back in.

On a side note, stay AWAY from Mahle pistons.

That's all for now. I'm just trying not to think about it. I just want this to be over with already.