LegacyGT.com

I'm a Vendor Now! Installs, Repairs, Mods - I make house calls

m sprank

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I ran into an East Coast car today. 100k miles in CT. Was not prepared for suspension work on such a car. Was unaware it had been on the East Coast so long.

I need to clarity, that I am performing repairs on a mobile basis. I do not regularly carry cutting torches.

If your car has been in the snow, I need to know. It is not normal procedure to remove many suspension parts from "snow cars" without torches. I know, remember I am from New York. You dont get to reuse lots of stuff, you need to replace. I spent 4 hours trying to separate the lower ball joint from the knuckle. No go. Even had to drill out the pinch bolt on both knuckles because it was fully seized. The ball joints are one piece with the spindle. I fear the knuckles need full replacement. Dont think the joints are coming out without lots of heat and maybe damaging the knuckle.

So, please let me know. Last thing I want to do is start something I cant finish. I got the car on the road with new arms, new drive axle and old ball joints. If a local shop cant get them out with torches, I am going to have to replace the knuckles just to change ball joints. Got to love snow and salt.

I told the customer 2 hours to swap both lower control arms and an axle. When the first pinch bolt snapped, I knew I was in for a battle.

I even SOAKED everything repeatedly in PB. I probably had the car for 6 1/2 hours.

Its not the worst rust I have seen. The car was actually decent for back east. Its just that after 100k and 4 years, everything is seized. Its like 1 piece. I tried like heck to break it apart.

I made the guy miss a family bar-b-q and I feel awful about it. But man am I sore from wailing on that thing with a 5lb mallet and trying to pry it with a 36" crow bar.

Its gonna be like Rocky vs. Clubber Lang III if/when I get to replace the knuckles. Those shock bolts, tie rod ends, ABS fittings are gonna be FUN. Woot!

Yes! I service most brands. But specialize in Nissan and Subaru. Familiar with Honda, Toyota too.

I actually owned a 2001 Supercharged Frontier Desert Runner too (VG33E). Had it from 01-07. It went to SEMA. Was all Spencer Low Racing suspension (stage4), with body lift and custom glass work. Could SMOKE 35's at 8psi, lol. I am really good with Fronty's. You should see mine now. Getting it ready for drifting. Check out infamousnissan.com for a cool Nissan truck forum.

Welcome to "our" forum.

cool! I mostly hang out at clubfrontier.org, though I haven't been there in a while. My Fronty is an XE 2wd. Besides the PML (rear shackle and torsion front lift) and 32" on 17" SC stockers, the truck is pretty much stock. I was thinking about the e-fan mod, but now that I have the Leggy, that's gonna have to waith. I do some work on my cars myself (suspension, brakes, oil changes, drive belts, starter) but I have my limitations. I'll definitely hit you up when I need services done on my cars.

A little too far to travel, lol. But been hustling all over So Cal lately. O'side to Torrance this morning. Back to O'side at 8. Off to Temecula to deliver a DP. Back to O'side at 1030. Now answering 30+ PM's, ordering parts, etc.

Archived