LegacyGT.com

Second Generation Legacy Suspension FAQ

how much lower would 07 wrx struts with cobb springs bring it down?

no idea, i would assume maybe slightly more than an inch.

the 05-07 sti tophats are the same as the 04 are they not?

correct, they are the same. the only thing that changed on the 05-07s was the lower part on the struts themselves because the hubs changed to 5x114 from the subaru standard 5x100

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check my.subaru.com and register your car and see if you have the recall.

Oh, that's right. I guess I did that few weeks ago. I don't have any control arm recall listed for mine. I do have an open recall for Axle Shaft Grease Leakage, but it seems to me that service has been performed, according to original owner service records. /off-topic from me.

After a few months of driving my car I think I am happy with the stock ride height but not the insane amount of understeer. The body roll is pretty bad too. Problems is I want to maintain stock ride height.

So could I use wrx struts with stock springs? I wouldnt mind using wrx springs but I dont want to lose height.

• 1 month later...

I know this is a TERRIBLE request, but could someone explain exactly what else I'll need for my suspension swap??

What I already have:

- 05 WRX Wagon Springs

What I'm ordering:

- KYB-GR2 struts (Legacy specific) - $190 for all four

http://www.partstrain.com/store/??N=0&PN=4294957074&VN=4294967193+4294964890+4294964576+4294967147+4294966803&Nr=AND(universal:0)&props=Category:Suspension

What else do I need:

- ? Top Hats ?

This may sound alittle strange, but what exactly are the tophats? Everytime I try to search a place to buy them there are different pictures... Can anyone post a picture of what I'll ACTUALLY NEED to order? Or hell, a link to a place to buy the correct items would be even better!!

I'll basically have only one day to do the swap, so I need to make sure that I have everything I need when I start.

Thanks in advance guys!

looks like all you will need are the rear top hats (the part that sits on top of the spring keeping it on the strut and bolts to the body of the car):

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_480_490_1086&products_id=607

those are group N top hats, which might be a bit overkill, but they will work perfectly. the only other thing i can think of are saggy but spacers just incase, but you wont really know if you need them until everything is on the car. some people end up needing them, others dont. you can also find those at TiC:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_480_490_507&products_id=1069

disclaimer: i am not employed by TiC, they are just a great shop that is always awesome to deal with. they are pretty much the go-to guys for making a subaru handle like a beast

looks like all you will need are the rear top hats (the part that sits on top of the spring keeping it on the strut and bolts to the body of the car):

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_480_490_1086&products_id=607

those are group N top hats, which might be a bit overkill, but they will work perfectly. the only other thing i can think of are saggy but spacers just incase, but you wont really know if you need them until everything is on the car. some people end up needing them, others dont. you can also find those at TiC:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_480_490_507&products_id=1069

disclaimer: i am not employed by TiC, they are just a great shop that is always awesome to deal with. they are pretty much the go-to guys for making a subaru handle like a beast

Good GOD!!! $250 for those things?! I may just have to hit a junk yard or something :(...

Thanks for clarifying what I need though man :)

Stupid question... We have gone over this again and again but I can't find where it was... Does anything need to be done to the suspension in order to run 225/45 tires 17x7.5, +48 offset, rims? I know the fenders will probably need to be rolled but anything other than that?

Stupid question... We have gone over this again and again but I can't find where it was... Does anything need to be done to the suspension in order to run 225/45 tires on 17x7 or 17x7.5 rims? I know the fenders will probably need to be rolled but anything other than that?

Depends on the offset. It might not work at all.

I found these springs:

B&G S2 Sports Springs

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Subaru/Legacy/B-and-G/Lowering_Springs/1998/GT/4_Cyl_2-dot-5L/B22881006.html?vdesc=true

while shopping for struts for my car... Just wanted to list them here since they seem like a pretty good price (for anyone looking for new springs that is) :)

I am tired of the same questions being asked over and over again, so here is a FAQ that I have put together with the help of Reuben.

Q: I've heard wagon and sedan rear struts are different, won't you get 'ass sag' with sedan struts in a wagon?

A: Generally it's chassis related. In most cases, second gen. Impreza (bugeye-hawkeye) suspension works just fine in our second gen. Legacy wagons and sedans. The exceptions being the 05-07 STi struts which don't work due to the different hub. GC/GF (first gen. Impreza) stuff also works in Gen 2 Legacy's, but GC/GF Impreza rear shocks and springs are shorter, and so you get the 'ass sag', regardless if it's from a wagon or a sedan.

Q: Ok, I installed some WRX suspension and now my wagon has a saggy butt. How do I correct this?

A: Spacers. Putting spacers in between the top hats and the top strut mounts on the car will help correct the sag.

...;)

OK, I was good until I read this... Can someone tell me if I am going to need the Spacers on my BD ride. Depending on responses from sellers, I am about ready to get an 04 STi OEM suspension, but will I need spacers?

I would rather do coilovers, but the question remains, will I need spacers, or given the correct year coilover set, is it just Plug and Play really...

at this this point I'm at Plug and Pray... :confused:

thanks,

Mark

OK, I was good until I read this... Can someone tell me if I am going to need the Spacers on my BD ride. Depending on responses from sellers, I am about ready to get an 04 STi OEM suspension, but will I need spacers?

I would rather do coilovers, but the question remains, will I need spacers, or given the correct year coilover set, is it just Plug and Play really...

at this this point I'm at Plug and Pray... :confused:

thanks,

Mark

a complete '04 STi strut/spring set-up shouldnt need spacers, but again, it seems to vary from car to car slightly, my wagon has a tiny amount of sag, but its not enough to make me want spacers. if you want to get a pair anyway just as back-up, they are only $25 at TiC

Archived