LegacyGT.com

Second Generation Legacy Suspension FAQ

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its a toss-up really, some people need them others dont and you wont really know until you have everything on and the car is sitting on the ground. i would say its worth it to go ahead and order some just incase though

Do it. It's based on the springs that you pick up; some sit "lower" in the rear than others. In reality, it's how the chassis is set up, and it gives the effect that the rear of the car is lower than the front, where rather it's level on both counts. Get a set of 3/8" ones and throw them up before you button everything together so you don't have to tear it apart like I did :p The 3/8" let you keep your stock studs too.

I just put my 04Sti struts with RCE springs and 3/8 spacers on. Feel like I could have gone 3/4" with extended studs though. The rear still sits a good 1/2" lower than the front but its not horrible. I can only imagine how ridiculous it would have looked with no spacers.

Now I need to roll my rear fenders some more. It sits higher than it did with the COs but the struts have more travel so the tire goes further up into the fender over big bumps.

Alright Im sure my question has been answered aleast in parts throuout this thread. I have read most of it so here is my question.

Alright I have a 99 Legacy GT. Ideally I would like to get only about a .5 inch lift on it. If I had to go with a 1 inch lift I would be happy with that too but .5 is ideal.

So my question is what would the exact things I need be? Could I just get some aftermarket shocks and springs for an outback? Or second gen forester? Or do I just need some springs from one of these? I have also heard some springs will raise the car. For example from the STI or the WRX I have heard that with the spring stiffness will actually cause lift on older cars. So what do ya think?

Aftermarket springs will all lower your car, I dont know of any stock height aftermarket springs. I dont remember the name of it, but check the front page of zues marines upgrade parts guide, I know he has a link.

• 4 weeks later...

So this kind of scares me. I got 2 fully ASSEMBLED 04 WRX front struts/springs (this means they had the top hats and everything. I got the rears from another 04 WRX w/o the top hats. I used my stock top hats. But that rubber strip didn't seat right. I have driven 20k miles with hard turns and no noises or anything.

Was I supposed to pull rear top hats off an impreza chassis?

would be best since the legacy rear top hats (and the 02-03 impreza top hats) are wider. the 04+ springs taper at the top and thats why the different top hats. i would recommend picking up a pair sooner rather than later. seeing how you have gone 20k miles as they are i wouldnt say its an immediate issue, but it is still best to have the correct parts as soon as practical.

Yes you need the 04-07 tophats for the rear. The fronts are all the same 95-99 legacy, 93-07 impreza are all the same front tophats.

Im not questioning this, but if this is true, how come you can get coilovers(racelands specifically) with tophats that fit 02-07 imprezas if the 02-03 are supposedly different from 04-07 in the rear?

Im not questioning this, but if this is true, how come you can get coilovers(racelands specifically) with tophats that fit 02-07 imprezas if the 02-03 are supposedly different from 04-07 in the rear?

I agree. most coilovers from other manufacturers are the same way

the difference with the 04-07s is that they have tapered rear springs (skinnier at the top) which the 02-03s dont. other than the difference in rear springs (and different top hats to suit the narrower springs) they are the same. same bolt patterns, etc EXCEPT the 05-07 STi (and ONLY the STi) which are different on the bottom of the strut where it attaches to the hub because the 05+ STis switched to the 5x114 wheel hubs. the 02-07 WRX, along with nearly all other 5-bolt subarus except the SVX use 5x100 wheel hubs

the difference with the 04-07s is that they have tapered rear springs (skinnier at the top) which the 02-03s dont. other than the difference in rear springs (and different top hats to suit the narrower springs) they are the same. same bolt patterns, etc EXCEPT the 05-07 STi (and ONLY the STi) which are different on the bottom of the strut where it attaches to the hub because the 05+ STis switched to the 5x114 wheel hubs. the 02-07 WRX, along with nearly all other 5-bolt subarus except the SVX use 5x100 wheel hubs

Couldnt have said it better

• 3 weeks later...

Archived