LegacyGT.com

Second Generation Legacy Suspension FAQ

I'm looking at a set of '05 WRX springs and struts for my OB. I'm currently running JDM BE5 wheels with 55 offset, and 215/55 17 tires (stock was 205/70 15 w/48 offset). Should I be concerned about tire clearance (fender or suspension) with this combo?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Searched all around and can't be 100% sure so I figured this would be the best place to ask...

When I look at the stock springs on a BD/BG/BK, they appear to be roughly the same height (may be a VERY slight difference.) However, there are two that have noticeably more coiling (wrap around about 1.7 more times) and are also more tightly coiled than the other two.

So, my question is, which springs are for the front and which are for the back? Any help would be great!

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Hey Zues, I found this on a 240 site. Good info for those who are new to the world of suspension.

There are 2 kinds of springs. Progressive, and Linear.

With progressive springs, as they compress the lighter rate coils compress, and force higher rate colis into action. Effectively increasing spring rate as they are compressed. Stock 240sx springs are progressive. (most stock springs are.) This type of spring is good for street driving b/c they are comfortable over small bumps, but tighten up as you start turning, or braking harder.

Linear springs are the same spring rate no matter how much they are compressed. Almost all coilover systems come with linear rate springs. Linear springs are much better for sport driving, b/c they are much mroe predictable, and make tuning your suspension much easier.

You can only preload springs with threaded shock body coilovers.

To preload a spring, you compress it b/w the upper and lower spring perches by adjusting the lower collar with the spanner wrench.

With linear springs:

When you put the weight of a corner of a car (probably around 700lbs) over your spring it compresses to absorb that weight. With 400lb spring, it will compress about 1 3/4". So, if you start with the lower collar so that it is just tight enough to hold the top of the spring against the upper perch this would be 0 preload. Raise the collar 1 3/4", and you now have 700lb's of preload. (arbitrary #'s for the sake of illustration.) Since you have preloaded the spring, the same weight as the car's corner, when you put the car on that spring, it will not compress at all, and will simply sit on top of the spring. If you were to hit a bump, the force would still compress the spring the same amount it normally would if you had set the spring to 0 preload. Now if you set the spring to say 900lbs of preload, when you hit the bump (say its a bump that generates around 250lbs of upward force), the spring will compress much less b/c the spring is already beyond the load specified to absorb the bump. Since there is only 50lbs beyond the preload, the spring will only compress about 1/8th inch, and the car will likely be launched over the bump.

You will likely never ever preload a spring beyond the weight of the corner of the car it is on for that exact reason. Springs are there to absorb bumps, if there are any bumps at all, this is a bad idea.

What good is preloading the spring then?

It can provide you with more suspension travel in certain situations. In the ideal world, having the spring at 0 preload would place the piston inside the shock exactly halfway through it's stroke (middle of shock) once the car's weight is resting on the spring. This is almost never the case. by preloading the spring, you can adjust the amount of rebound, or compression travel you have in the shock. If you preload like 200lbs, this will give you more compression travel, and will help keep your car from bottoming out when cornering. You have to be careful though, b/c you don't want to sacrifice too much rebound travel, or you could cause all sorts of other problems.

Progressive springs:

With progressive springs, preloading the spring does all the same things as linear springs, but it also increases the initial rate of the spring. So say you have a spring with a 200lb/in initial rate, and a 400lb/in max rate. (all progressive springs are rated this way.) Preloading 200lb's will compress the spring just under 1". Since the rate goes up with a function, it will have increased to probably somewhere around 250lb/in by the time you reach a 200lb preload. So now your initial rate is 250lb/in, with a max 0f 400lb/in.

You will likely never deal with this though, b/c very few coilover systems come with progressive springs, and remember you can't preload without adjustable spring perches. (coilovers)

Searched all around and can't be 100% sure so I figured this would be the best place to ask...

When I look at the stock springs on a BD/BG/BK, they appear to be roughly the same height (may be a VERY slight difference.) However, there are two that have noticeably more coiling (wrap around about 1.7 more times) and are also more tightly coiled than the other two.

So, my question is, which springs are for the front and which are for the back? Any help would be great!

im not sure exactly, the fronts should be a little shorter, but i havent looked at the stock springs in a long time :(

Far as I can tell this has not been covered yet.

Can I use the '05 STi stuff if I am looking to go to the 114 hub size. The rims I want to use on my car are the factory "Black Chrome" STi wheels.

Rab

if you have the 5x114 hubs, yes, the 05-07 STi struts will bolt up fine :)

im not sure exactly, the fronts should be a little shorter, but i havent looked at the stock springs in a long time :(

Exactly. I haven't seen stockers in so long I have no idea which are which. Haha. My guess is the more coiled and slightly more narrow struts are the rears... I'll take a look at the strut cups tomorrow and see what those say.

Yup. It seems that's exactly the case. The rears are ever so slightly taller, more coiled (2.7 more twists) and about 3/4 of an inch more thin. Thanks for input everyone!

• I Donated

will the wrx springs fit stock GT or OB or L struts and tophats?

iirc, they wont....im trying to figure out if i have wrx or leg struts on my OB lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 1 month later...
  • I Donated

The wrx, sti, and legacy struts have different dampening rates.

There has been a new consolidated suspension thread at the top of the forum. Please use that

Can a mod please close this thread?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived