LegacyGT.com

Second Generation Legacy Suspension FAQ

i now have a set of 2002 wrx suspension, with 2004 wrx tanabe gf210's. hopefully it'll drop atleast 1.5"

I have the same setup right now, picked up some 02 wrx sedan suspension, and i had what i thought to be 02 wrx tanabe gf210 springs. The gf210's turned out to actually be 04 and up wrx.

Im stuck right now as the rear 02 top hats dont work for the 04 springs. I assume im going to need to purchase 04+ wrx top hats to get this to work? Can i use 04+ STi top hats? There is a set locally that i could get right away so i can get this done. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found the answer myself on NASIOC. all 04-07 Impreza tophats will work (including STI) and are needed for the 04-07 springs.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the same setup right now, picked up some 02 wrx sedan suspension, and i had what i thought to be 02 wrx tanabe gf210 springs. The gf210's turned out to actually be 04 and up wrx.

Im stuck right now as the rear 02 top hats dont work for the 04 springs. I assume im going to need to purchase 04+ wrx top hats to get this to work? Can i use 04+ STi top hats? There is a set locally that i could get right away so i can get this done. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found the answer myself on NASIOC. all 04-07 Impreza tophats will work (including STI) and are needed for the 04-07 springs.

I got the setup on and sits really nice. No sagging butt or anything! It sits pretty low too, but not unbearable at all. Just have to fine tune a few things and it should be good to go!

I got the setup on and sits really nice. No sagging butt or anything! It sits pretty low too, but not unbearable at all. Just have to fine tune a few things and it should be good to go!

now be sure to go get a nice alignment ;) have any pics of how it sits?

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, and as mentioned, with the short GC/GF impreza springs.

This is my wagon on the stock bilsteins, but with GF8 STi springs all round. Note how the rear end sits a good 20mm's lower. Not cool:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/Pilot_Reuben/IMG_4375.jpg

I think it looks fine, ground clearance is even, it just LOOKs like it sags, my STI had the same thing, the wheel well is lower on the rears.

If you get the 04-07 rear tophats the springs will work in any 93-07 Impreza. Since the rear tophat bolt spacing is different on the Legacy than the Impreza it doesn't work out quite as well.

im not concerned with them working IN an impreza. Im concerned with specifically with what springs will work with my 96 legacy wagon struts.

im not concerned with them working IN an impreza. Im concerned with specifically with what springs will work with my 96 legacy wagon struts.

Then I guess I'm not concerned with answering your questions if you are just going to act like I'm not answering you.

Then I guess I'm not concerned with answering your questions if you are just going to act like I'm not answering you.
dude, the only thing I got out of your post is that if I get 04-07 tophats that the springs will work in a 93-07 impreza. I dont have an impreza. Im looking for springs that fit in a legacy, with stock legacy struts and tophats.

You NEED tophates to match your springs on legacys for the rears. Our rear tophats are different. Find 02-03 wrx tophats and then any 02-07 spring will work unless it says 04-07 only.

ok, now that explanation makes perfect sense, thanks. So basically what Ive gotten out of this is that the legacy struts themselves will work with any wrx/sti/gc spring. You just need the right tophats to match the springs.

And from what im getting at is all front tophats are the same then? I just got 04 wrx struts n springs w/ rear tops with only 12k on um. I was about to ask if my lego tops will fit on the fronts. From the sound of it the answer is yes. I guess ill be verifying it soon.

Archived