LegacyGT.com

Second Generation Legacy Suspension FAQ

Not to be rude, but I have a couple sets of '04 STI springs laying around.

Well, I am still thinking about going this route, but my hurdle at the moment is TopHats for front and rear...

I am already certain that I am going with KYB AGXs. If I don't go with STi springs, I may just go with Perrin or H&R springs made for the LGT and call it a day. I think I should be able to just re-use my top hats.

My ultimate goal is to go with the Ground Control CO Conversion.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have 04 WRX wagon springs/struts/tophats and I saw maybe a 1/2" drop from blown stock stuff. I also have no ass sag with the wagon stuff.

Would you mind explaining how you measured it, so I can measure mine before it with STi parts.

thanks,

Mark

From the ground to the highest part of the wheel well. Just measure before and after the install and noticed no change in the front and about 1/2" in the back. My front stock struts were blown bad, so this is why it was uneven.

ok, thanks. I my struts are gone too, but I am installing a set of 04 STi Tein S springs with 04 STi struts. I hope the drop is not too much, but my guess is about an inch or so. I just need something to hold me over until I can get more money to do a coilover conversion kit and AGXs...

the first gens have the same strut bolt patterns as the GC/GF imprezas, the front will bolt up but the rears wont. if i remember correctly they first gens also have a tapered rear spring like the 04+ imprezas, but im not completely sure on that one.

the general rule of thumb for sharing between models and series is in the second letter of the chassis code:

Legacy: BC/BF/BJ - BD/BG/BK

Impreza: GC/GF - GD/GG

Forester: SF - SG

Just got my set of Strut Up bars today. I have a 98 LGT and I picked up the 94-01 Impreza Up Strut bars. The front were too short, I am gonna reorder them for an 02-07 WRX and see if that fits. I'm gonna resell these if someone needs them for their Impreza.

Forgive me if this has been posted before. I'm using tapatalk, which sucks to search....

I've got a '98 Outback and I'd like a bit larger rear sway to reduce roll. What is the best bar for the job and to do so cheaply? Alternatively, are stiffer springs available that won't drop the car?

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

stock wrx springs (04-07 will require differete rear top hats, 02-03 will work with the stock ones) are a little stiffer and wont lower much if at all (though you might notice the rear sagging slightly, which is easily fixed with spacers). for the rear sway bar, i think the only option is for an aftermarket one, iic the outbacks got 18mm bars. you will be looking at $100-150 depending on brand and size, i am running a 22mm adjustable whiteline rsb that is for a wrx (requires some modification to the spare tyre well) and love it.

how much baddog^ what year of uper rear sways can we use. i know there is sticky all about it at the top of the page, but it isnt 100% up to date or missed it, its not just impreza for the rear or am i wrong?

figured it out!

They are decently priced I believe. $160 for a 22-25 rear. $180 for a 22 front. For the front though I would go with a 25mm Tribeca sway and drill out your stock bushings. It makes it act more like a 23mm but I hear its great.

I have always been curious for the rear strut bar. I know they fit wagons easy. But I am not sure about sedans. I will have to just bite the bullet and buy one soon

The '04 STI springs and struts I got are missing the top spring perch, and bumpstops. Can I re-use those items from my 1995 legacy?

you will have to get the 04+ rear strut tops, the fronts are the same though.

I have 04 STi Struts with Tein S Tech springs. The spring rates are like 250lbs in the front and 220 in the rear. Are these springs rates too soft for our 2nd gen Subies? If so, what is considered an Ideal spring rate for our vehicles?

not sure about ideal spring rates, but for as low as those springs are they are WAY too soft (i used to have them on my 04 STi struts). they ride like crap and actually decrease handling performance. the only thing they are good for, imo, is looking good while parked.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2092/runway1.jpg

not sure about ideal spring rates, but for as low as those springs are they are WAY too soft (i used to have them on my 04 STi struts). they ride like crap and actually decrease handling performance. the only thing they are good for, imo, is looking good while parked.

Cool, so, I guess my response would be is it worse than stock? Are these springs softer than the Pink STi springs? The S-Techs are stiffer than the H-Tech, and apparently Tein has made adjustments to the spring rates. Supposedly the 04 STi Eibach springs for 7713.140:

Front 171-303 lb/in

Rear 103-263 lb/in

I have blown struts in the front, so I wonder if I am going to notice a difference.

Were you getting a lot of bounce while driving? I have a Ground control setup on my P10, for those of you who don't know, it's an Infiniti G20, and that seems to work pretty well, very happy with it. I may just go that route, but not sure since it is actually more than I would like to spend anyway.

Is there anyone here that has first hand experience with the S-Tech. If so, what is it that you do not like about your Tien S-Tech setup?

i noticed an improvement in handling when i swapped to the stock '05 STi springs from S-Techs, pinks will be even stiffer. with the stock STi combo there is a little bit of bounce, that that is because they are over-dampened. with the S-Techs it was a lot worse, on some sections of interstate where the panels werent completely level with each other it got VERY annoying every little bump around town also felt 10x bigger (railroad crossings were fun:spin:).

Archived