LegacyGT.com

Sub.Warning!!!!

REX2LGT

Ok, Im pretty into bass. I dont want to sound like an annoying teen that pulls up next to you and rattles the sunglasses off your head, but in all honesty, i pretty much am. Now, i can deal with the lower volume of bass, on my current car (Mazda millenia), i had 2 12's which rattled too much for me, so i disconnected one and liked the sound better with only one sub. Should I get the factory sub for the legacy or should i just stick with aftermarket. I need honest, unbiased opinions. Do you think that I will be satisfied with the boom and deepness i get with the factory sub?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, Im pretty into bass. I dont want to sound like an annoying teen that pulls up next to you and rattles the sunglasses off your head, but in all honesty, i pretty much am. Now, i can deal with the lower volume of bass, on my current car (Mazda millenia), i had 2 12's which rattled too much for me, so i disconnected one and liked the sound better with only one sub. Should I get the factory sub for the legacy or should i just stick with aftermarket. I need honest, unbiased opinions. Do you think that I will be satisfied with the boom and deepness i get with the factory sub?

The factory sub will not pass your test. Get something else.

It works for me, but I am not into bass.

i'm into bass inasmuch as i don't like it to be lacking. i don't need it all vibratin' and rattlin' but i definitely need the bottom end to be complete. I think the stereo/speakers/amp in the LGT is pretty much crap compared to the Passat I traded in (8 factory speakers plus a 8" Kicker in the trunk). It was smooth, well rounded and crisp. In contrast I find my LGT audio setup to be tinny. I'm guessing the speakers are shite. i opted for the factory sub because after reading a lot of this forum it seemed pretty clear that the LGT stereo was not going to play nice with anything aftermarket without some major overhauling. So I have an 8" Kicker sitting around unused in my basement. The factory sub does an OK job given the relative quality of the rest of the system. Since it's installed under your seat you definitely feel it. But no way in hell are you gonna roll up at a traffic light and make heads turn (or bop). For that you'll definitely need to drop some major aftermarket dime.

I love my bass. If your car rattles too much, put some dynamate behind where the rattles are. You also might want to consider an indepentent sub volume knob/button so you can choose how heavy you want the bottom end.

nyogi, in your case I'd say you probably won't be happy with the factory sub, it will be a big drop off from a 12" sub in your last vehicle. It's fairly deep and goes fairly loud, but it won't compare with a quality aftermarket set up. It's a good sub for those of us who 1) don't want to tear the LGT apart to add aftermarket stuff 2) Are looking for decent sound, and are happy with not necessarily 'audiophile' or 'competition' level sound.

I just finished reading all the posts in this thread, and I'm regretting that I didn't get the factory sub in my 2.5i ltd order. :-(

But the install seems pretty straightforward. Is there a link to direx online? Or a pdf of the "pictures only" directions anywhere?

Is it really as simple as unbolting the seat, bolting in the new box, and plug and play?

Also, for those folks who purchased the factory powered sub after buying their vehicle, where did you buy from?

Cheers,

Dave

Just put mine in, the difference is really night and day, i set max gain all the way up and the cut out about 2/3 to 3/4ths max. I ordered off ebay and accidentally bought the 04' sub, so i sent it back and payed an extra $80 :( for the 05' sub. The box included the bracket, sub, wiring harness, and picture only instructions. The hardest part of the install was figuring out that i need to tip the console up and ram a screwdriver in there to pop up the tranny cover, and then removing the passenger side trim (that goes along the glovebox and lower trim cover) was pretty hard too. How is the center console connected to the chassis... i was trying to just remove it completely to install some ipod wiring but it seems like its held in by the e-brake or soemthing, do i need to remove the ebrake boot to take the center console out?

Look in the trunk. You will see the ring.

You just won't did in seven days.

;)

The ring in the sedan trunk is for the overseas option of the McIntosh Audio System, which does place an 8" free-air sub in that location. Not available in the US, as usual.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket 8" infinite baffle mid-bass, or sub-woofer that would somehow fit there?

When I get a legacy, and then can afford to do what I want to it, I want to put in a JL Audio Clean Sweep, so that I can listen to my iPod. That precludes using the head-unit's amps, and the factory-option sub. I would like something else small that doesn't take up a whole lot of room, but will provide low audio fill.

With the Clean-Sweep, it will require an aftermarket amp, as well. I am thinking about Memphis Audio main drivers, but it doesn't appear that their sub is an infinite baffle design.

Maybe the clarion underseat setup that someone mentioned...

All this would change for me, if Subaru would just allow people to input other sources into their non-replaceable head unit... I'd go with factory electronics, and sub, with nicer drivers in the doors, an iPod input kit, and probably call it good for a while.

Manville from JL had posted elsewhere that they still have some 8IB4's in stock....just bug your local dealer to order. One of the few infinited baffle designs I have seen in recent years.

• 2 weeks later...
That's not a blanket statement - some drivers require small ported enclosures.

I have a bass cannon from an old car I used to have that has power coming to it. How hard would it be to add that through the back speakers and have two subs?

Does that even make sense? I have put it a few stereos and speakers in my life, but I am not an audiophile so I though I would see if anyone on here knows.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 05 Legacy GT LTD, but after a major service screw-up I am getting a new Leg GT Ltd. My original has the factory sub, but the new one does not. I am thinking about pulling it and installing it in my new car. How easy is this? I was able to get it out very easily, only took a couple of minutes. My real question is whether or not the car is pre-wired and all I have to do is put it under the seat and plug it in or if there is a lot more involved. If it is more than just plugging it in then I may just have the service dept swap it out for me.... afterall this is all their fault. Anyone have any instructions or stories about putting in a oem sub on their own. Let me know! Thanks!

I have a 05 Legacy GT LTD, but after a major service screw-up I am getting a new Leg GT Ltd. My original has the factory sub, but the new one does not. I am thinking about pulling it and installing it in my new car. How easy is this? I was able to get it out very easily, only took a couple of minutes. My real question is whether or not the car is pre-wired and all I have to do is put it under the seat and plug it in or if there is a lot more involved. If it is more than just plugging it in then I may just have the service dept swap it out for me.... afterall this is all their fault. Anyone have any instructions or stories about putting in a oem sub on their own. Let me know! Thanks!

Don't mean to go off topic, but what kind of service screw up did they do to warrent a brand new car? Just currious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
the oem sub is a great compliment to the stock system. it's a small sub so you're not going to get the trunk rattle. besides, if it was that powerful and made a lot of bass, you'd be complaing that the bass (if it was under your seat) is causing you to take a shit all the time !!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...
wow, been a long time since I last posted. I was pondering the idea of adding a second OEM sub under the passenger seat of my 05 lgt wagon (since there really is no reasonable place to install another sub). Has anyone tried this, or is it reasonable or even possible?
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

• 1 month later...

I installed the factory sub today. The installation went very easy. It is possible to install it with the controls facing toward the rear. The only draw back is the wire harness plugs into the same side so the wires are exposed to a rear seat passenger possibly kicking it. I installed it with controls facing the rear and after final tweaking of the adjustments turned the sub around so the wires and controls faced front.

I adjusted it with the aid of a Radio Shack sound pressure meter and an old Audiophile test CD. I found that the final adjustments were high pass set at 12 o'clock and gain set at about 10 o'clock. The head unit was finally set at bass: 0, middle 3+, treble 1+. This will produce about as flat a frequency response as the stock system is capable of. I measured a -6 db dip at 100Hz, a -3 db dip at 160Hz. Otherwise flat to within +- 1 db from 50 Hz to 1 KHz. Not too shabby for a stock system. It rolls off pretty steeply below 50 Hz, down about -10 db at 40 Hz. There is really not much usable "musical information" below 50 Hz anyway (at least not unless you are sitting in a well prepared listening roon at home).

Disclaimer: My musical preferences are classical (ranging from solo piano to orchestral, jazz (40's through early 70's) and classic rock. Yours may be different. Also a flat frequency response may not be optimal for an autombile audio system, but I beleive that can be tweaked by the controls on the head unit.

In short, the factory unit rounds out the stock system, adding a little "belly" to the mid bass and cleaning up the upper bass and lower midrange. Worth the price of admission.

I installed the factory sub in my spec.B shortly after I bought the car, and I've been more than happy with it (really filled out the music in the car). :)

-Mike-

MIKE!

Glad to hear from a spec b install. Obviously you had to go to the passenger seat because of the DVD system under the driver's seat. Was that a problem? Did the bracket work on that side?

So let me get this straigt I just take everythign apart console, head unit, seats carpet... run the harness that comes with the sub. Plug it into the back of the head unit and put it all back together.

From reading some posts here that's what it sounds like? Right?

No special splicing or crimping. Pretty much plug and play?

There will be an unused plug in the back of the head unit?

Any extra stuff back there from the Nav that I'll have to worry about running into?

I'm always nervous when I'm taking apart the interior of a brand new car for the first time.

Thanks

Matt

the oem sub is a great compliment to the stock system. it's a small sub so you're not going to get the trunk rattle. besides, if it was that powerful and made a lot of bass, you'd be complaing that the bass (if it was under your seat) is causing you to take a shit all the time !!!!!!!!!!!

my heated seat & sub make me want to shit!!!! damn this car:lol: :lol:

Archived