LegacyGT.com

Sub.Warning!!!!

REX2LGT

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "subwoofer" is really more of a midbass extender. A car (and I know that they work all sorts of tricks with tubes, etc...) isn't really a suitable environment for "real" bass, which needs space for its waves to propagate.

The Subaru sub does a lovely job, in tandem with the stock audio system, of playing music for the occupant of the car. Mind you, not the people in the car next to you, or bumpin' the bass in any way. It's a very nice system for what it is. Those seeking more volume, more "bass," etc, should probably look to the aftermarket.

Kevin

Coming from doing and winning Car Audio Competitions, I was pleasently surprized by the way the audio system sounded in the LGT. That influenced my decision to purchase the factory sub and I'm happy I did. The factory sub only took me 45 minutes to install. The instructions are interesting, no words, just pictures, but it worked. :)

For those wondering, unless you have really small hands, and a small screw driver, you will probably have to remove the one seat bolt that holds in the factory sub to slide it back so you can make the adjustments. Worse case, you might have to loosen the other rear seat bolt to get it out, but that would be it.

As for the quality of the sub... By it's size alone, it was never designed to "rattle" the trunk, as someone put it. It's designed, specifically, to fill that area of sound that the door speakers aren't designed to produce. And to make your butt vibrate. :)

For those that are curious, my old system, (being uninstalled end of this month, so I can sell the old car) was a McIntosh MX405 Head unit, Orion DEQ30 Digital EQ, 2 x Zapco 6.0 Competition Amps (150W per channel), Focal Utopia 13" Sub, Front stage Custom Focal Xpert 3 way set, with custom handbuilt passive crossovers, Tweeter and Mid in Kick and 6" mid bass in Door. I had fun doing it, but I'm done now. Going to sell it all off to fund the home stereo. :D

I installed it myself in 45 minutes, including taking out the seat to run the cable under the carpet. I have $4K worth of audio gear sitting on the shelf, as I think the stock system with sub is good enough for my needs right now. It plays reasonably loud, has enough bass to shake the side mirrors, and has decent tonal balance. Only at higher levels does the sound fall apart.

Thank god i did not buy the factory sub. I went with a jl 12w7 sub,and an jl 1000/1 amp and stock radio. Just waiting on my jl zr comp....

Yeah, cuz those are the same thing. :lol:

Does anyone have experience comparing the sound of the stock sub to the clarion under seat subwoofer? They look about the same price, so was wondering which to spend my money on.

The clarion unit looks to only fit under the passanger's seat and not the drivers seat.

jdkobe

Thats good to know.

Just wondering what did you set the crossover at?

Man I'm not exactly sure what it is set at. I had a friend messing around with the settings on the sub while I was messing with the settings on the head unit. We just tried a number of different settings until we found one that I liked the best. I will suggest that when you adjust your settings on your sub to make sure that the bass is turned all the way up on the head unit. You'll be able to turn the bass down if it gets to be to much...just try it on a bunch of different settings until your happy w/ the way it sounds... Much easier with two people...

I think you guys that have to remove the sub to make adjustments, have a sub that wasnt installed correctly. Mine is cake.. look under the seat use a screwdrive and adjust.. they are right on the front...

http://tcforum.com/tronix/legacy/sub.jpg

Yeah i know.. theres a dead leaf under my seat. ;)

EDIT: oh silly me, i forgot you guys probably have the limited, so you have the extra motors and junk in the way. (excess weight ;))

-Tronix(shopvac)GT

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

Ok so help me out here!

I have the GT Limited and I don't see this at all underneath?!

Does the setup differ if you got the sub stock with the car?

I am starting to be worried the dealer screwed me and there is no sub-woofer in the car.

Ok so help me out here!

I have the GT Limited and I don't see this at all underneath?!

Does the setup differ if you got the sub stock with the car?

I am starting to be worried the dealer screwed me and there is no sub-woofer in the car.

The sub is an option, not standard. It can be factory installed, dealer installed, self installed, or not installed...the option is yours.

Ok I didn't express myself correctly.

I have purchased the sub-woofer option.

however, upon inspection I do not the see the device shown in Tronix's post.

At high volume I seem to notice the sub so I supposed it IS there.

So basically I am asking if it should be on the floor under seat like on the picture or if it could be somewhere else, like inside the back of the seat or something.

Ok I didn't express myself correctly.

I have purchased the sub-woofer option.

however, upon inspection I do not the see the device shown in Tronix's post.

At high volume I seem to notice the sub so I supposed it IS there.

So basically I am asking if it should be on the floor under seat like on the picture or if it could be somewhere else, like inside the back of the seat or something.

The OEM sub should be mounted under the driver's seat. If you move the driver's seat all the way forward then the sub will be easily visible on the floor when looking from the back seat.

As it turns out I am not a completely blind itiot... the subwoofer was never installed. There was "confusion" it seems when I bought the car. I've sorted it out with the dealer but I was very disappointed.

I am installing this tomorrow:

Infinity 6002i x2 in the rear

Infinity 6000CS x2 in the front

Rockford Fosgate P4004 for the speakers

Sony XS-L102P5 x2 subs in enclosure

Sony XM-D500X to drive the subs

... There was "confusion" it seems when I bought the car. I've sorted it out with the dealer but I was very disappointed ...

Hope you were well compensated for their "confusion".

Archived