LegacyGT.com

Sub.Warning!!!!

REX2LGT

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tested my settings on Tribe called quest's "low end theory" arguably one of the bassiest rap cd's ever, and my settings sound fine.

now we're talking :) one of my fave albums of all time. can't think of a better CD to use for testing a subwoofer.

can someone confirm that it's not a PITA to change the settings?

more importantly, for those who had the sub installed afterwards, do you know if the sub limits how far down the seat can go? i need the seat in its lowest and furthest back position in order to have enough headroom and legroom (and it's still not as comfy as my Passat), so if the sub limits the seat position there's no way I can do it.

anyone know if it's easy to use a self-amped 6" Kicker instead of the Subaru subwoofer? Can it easily be connected to where the Subaru sub connects to (provided there is an adaptor plug that matches the Subaru connection).

I am installing this tomorrow:

Infinity 6002i x2 in the rear

Infinity 6000CS x2 in the front

Rockford Fosgate P4004 for the speakers

Sony XS-L102P5 x2 subs in enclosure

Sony XM-D500X to drive the subs

So how did the install go? Any issues with depth problems replacing the door speakers? Where did you mount the amps?

The install went well enough...

Speaker did require 1/2 inch spacers in front and none in back. I added Dynamat Extreme (1 layer for the inside of the door and 1 more layer around the speakers). The crossovers for the Infinity components were hard to secure inside the panel.

The only PITA is that there seems to be a very low volume, high-pitched whine that follows engine RPM when the radio is off... :(

I did a last minute change to the amp setup, I used the MTX 4004 and am happy with that plus its a smaller footprint. we made a custom board to mount the amps behind the seats.

I have the PDFs on how to take off the radio and panels if you need them.

The install went well enough...

Speaker did require 1/2 inch spacers in front and none in back. I added Dynamat Extreme (1 layer for the inside of the door and 1 more layer around the speakers). The crossovers for the Infinity components were hard to secure inside the panel.

The only PITA is that there seems to be a very low volume, high-pitched whine that follows engine RPM when the radio is off... :(

I did a last minute change to the amp setup, I used the MTX 4004 and am happy with that plus its a smaller footprint. we made a custom board to mount the amps behind the seats.

I have the PDFs on how to take off the radio and panels if you need them.

where did you get the spacers for the fronts? and you said no spacers needed in the back. does that mean that when you removed the stockers, the Infinity's screwed right in without any modification?

where did you get the spacers for the fronts? and you said no spacers needed in the back. does that mean that when you removed the stockers, the Infinity's screwed right in without any modification?

I got the spacers at a local audio shop.

The rear speakers I bought went right in the original hole. the only "spacing effect" would come from the 1/8 inch of Dynamat I applied to the speaker hole and surrounding area.

Take note of the model, Infinity 6002i, as I cannot vouch other ones will fit the same way!

I got the spacers at a local audio shop.

The rear speakers I bought went right in the original hole. the only "spacing effect" would come from the 1/8 inch of Dynamat I applied to the speaker hole and surrounding area.

Take note of the model, Infinity 6002i, as I cannot vouch other ones will fit the same way!

nice. you didn't even have to redrill holes? in the front or back?

The VDC has the standard sub in the back, otherwise theoptional sub goes under the driver's seat.

To adjust it you should first set your headunit to flat (0) and at the highest volume you like to listen to, then adjust the sub to the level you like, making sure it doesn't bottom or distort. Once you've set the level, you should play a CD or radio station with a nice deep male voice and adjust the cross-over frequency so that the sub doesn't "muddy" the voice.

Kewl.

I still say just put 2 Dual voice coil, 12 inch Fosgate Subs in a ported box in the trunk. Throw about 800 - 1000 watts through it. That's what I do. I promise yo won't be disapointed.

;)

I have the gain maxed and the cutoff is not even a 1/4 turn. I listened to talk radio to determine the cutoff, when the voices started to distorted I stopped turning it up. Some may disagree about maxing out gain, but the sub does not put out a ton of bass and having it maxed does not make it boomy in the least, I tested my settings on Tribe called quest's "low end theory" arguably one of the bassiest rap cd's ever, and my settings sound fine. In the end sound is subjective so just tweak to your taste. Also my headunit is set to 0 for bass.

Yeah, maxing out the gain will probably have you clipping at even low volumes. You may get better results (and maybe even louder) if you back the gain off a bit.

Too cut down on sub space, get a sealed box instead of a ported box. They take up less space. Sound is not a deep as a ported box, but will still be night and day from what you are use to.

That's not a blanket statement - some drivers require small ported enclosures.

That's not a blanket statement - some drivers require small ported enclosures.

Yes you are 100% correct, however I was only talking about subs not speakers in general.

It can apply to drivers too.

Yes you are 100% correct, however I was only talking about subs not speakers in general.

It can apply to drivers too.

I was referring to subwoofers as well - not all ported enclosures are larger than their sealed iterations.

A properly built box with a single port is bigger than a Sealed box. Sure you can make it smaller, but won't sound right.

Not true. The general rule is that ported enclosures are larger than sealed. As with all rules, there are exceptions.

Surely, with a name like 'Fosgate' you should remember the old Rockford-Fosgate Power series woofers. They went into small ported enclosures.....smaller than the sealed boxes for other series at the time.

Archived