LegacyGT.com

Racer X (itsme) FMIC install

itsme

that is normal....is simply because the piping is a tight fit in the engine compartment and so now the engine is allowed to move around as much, so that energy gets pushed to other parts of the car thus why your feeling it in your pedals. Think of the effects like if you were to change your engine/tranny mounts to stiffer ones.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i just finished installing my fmic kit today and took it for a test drive the kit is great and made well... i just experienced more lag than i expected i thought i could just run it on my stage 2 tune and it would run decent but its apparent i have to get it tuned for the front mount itself. I have one question though after i installed the kit i noticed more vibration of the car when it starts and from the clutch and brake pedals during driving, is that normal...has anyone else experienced this?

Have you checked to make sure the TB pipe is not touching the brake master cylinder?

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

For any So Cal locals in need of assistance installing the RacerX FMIC, I am now offering installation services for $200. I even come to you.

Any SoCal member that need installing of my FMIC or any other install I recommend Mike. I used his car for the prototype of my FMIC and has installed just as many of my FMIC as I have and is great installer and a really good guy. Bryan

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Got about halfway through the FMIC install today before it started pouring. No big snags so far, just taking my time trying to get everything right. The cold side piping is a bit tricky at first but is coming together nicely now. Dremel w/cutting wheel has done a great job with all the necessary cutting. Should be finishing everything up tomorrow I hope. Will try and post some pics in the next day or two.

Finished up the install today. Really happy with the kit. Had to chase down one minor boost leak but that was fairly easy to find/fix. Just the base map update from Infamous1 is loaded and it feels pretty good already.

The amount of cutting really is minimal and the fact that you keep the bumper beam and fogs makes this kit a no-brainer.

Took some pics of the kit on my 05 w/a VF40:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2450/47260118.jpg

little more than halfway done before it started storming yesterday:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7646/16214957.jpg

FMIC installed:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2516/46516182.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6167/30997812.jpg

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3254/91742955.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8443/44055231.jpg

everything put back together:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5356/87572506.jpg

For any So Cal locals in need of assistance installing the RacerX FMIC, I am now offering installation services for $200. I even come to you.

$200 is a great deal for the FMIC install from MSprank. He will make sure there are no rattles, oem-like fitment, cut for battery removal, etc,etc,etc. If you want it a FMIC installed not right, but JUST RIGHT, the first time - give Mr.Sprank a PM.

that is normal....is simply because the piping is a tight fit in the engine compartment and so now the engine is allowed to move around as much, so that energy gets pushed to other parts of the car thus why your feeling it in your pedals. Think of the effects like if you were to change your engine/tranny mounts to stiffer ones.

THe fit on the outlet side if the IC is tight, just like the X02 . For sure your elbow with the BOV flange is hitting the master cylinder. Small adjustment needed, that should do it.

I must say I was less than enamoured with the fit of the I/C outlet side. Has anyone actually got the pipe installed without removing the coolant bottle? I also had to trim the pinch weld flange down where the outlet pipe on the IC exits to get an extra half inch to rearange that side as to not to hit the master cylinder. I highly recomend going thru the fuel lines, leaving the top one on top and the other two underneath. Other than the lack of brackets to mount the IC core (I made two) it is a nice kit. Also, I'd clock the BOV flange 10 degrees twords the top, not a big deal though, still a nice kit.

Oh, I forgot, this fits nicely around the Typhoon intake too!

Where was your leak?

Why did you remove your headlights?

Thanks

Leak was on the cold side piping at the last clamp near the battery. Simply forgot to fully tighten it. Headlights were removed because I replaced those as well.

I must say I was less than enamoured with the fit of the I/C outlet side. Has anyone actually got the pipe installed without removing the coolant bottle?

I did it without removing the coolant overflow bottle.

I have installed MANY kits on 2008's. Including removing and reinstalling my own several times. I have never had to remove the overflow tank. Its tight getting in, but its all about angle and rotating the pipe as it goes up. Been able to install and remove this way.

Instructions clearly state (here in the thread) that trimming of the pinch weld is required for best fit.

As for brackets, the core is going NO WHERE once the beam is in place. I have tested at HIGH speeds. But we also noted in this thread that two pieces of angle mounted to the pre welded on bungs of the core could be tied to the car easily for extra support if wanted.

For the price, the kit is still the best available. Also, all the concerns you listed have been addressed. Even a V-3 coming out now and Bryan has offered to send all original purchasers the new pipe and bolt for free.

I have installed MANY kits on 2008's. Including removing and reinstalling my own several times. I have never had to remove the overflow tank. Its tight getting in, but its all about angle and rotating the pipe as it goes up. Been able to install and remove this way.

Instructions clearly state (here in the thread) that trimming of the pinch weld is required for best fit.

As for brackets, the core is going NO WHERE once the beam is in place. I have tested at HIGH speeds. But we also noted in this thread that two pieces of angle mounted to the pre welded on bungs of the core could be tied to the car easily for extra support if wanted.

For the price, the kit is still the best available. Also, all the concerns you listed have been addressed. Even a V-3 coming out now and Bryan has offered to send all original purchasers the new pipe and bolt for free.

As for no brackets for the core, thats hack. Sorry, that is just my opinion. My X02 is securely mounted as are the inlet and outlet pipes mounted with brackets. The smaller core and prewelded BOV flange doesn't make this kit worth another 500+ dollars over the X02 either.

I know the pipe is for the sti style turbo.....but what is the bolt for? I missed that somewhere

yes pipe if for better fit using STi style turbos. bolt is to replace timing cover bolt that comes close to cold side pipe and taps on some cars.

Difference with X02.

Lets see...

1. Xo2 kit Designed around a WRX. Kit modified to fit an LGT. RacerX designed using LGT for LGT.

2. X02 kit DOES NOT clear air pump. RacerX does.

3. X02 kit has no beads on pipe ends. RacerX does.

4. X02 kit has no prewelded BPV flange. RacerX does.

5. X02 requires hacking of the bumper beam. RacerX does not.

6. X02 requires loss of fogs. RacerX keeps OEM fogs.

7. X02 requires aftermarket intake. RacerX does not.

8. No engineering, testing,improvement, or manufacturer support from X02. RacerX is still continuing to test and improve the kit. Going so far as to offer FREE upgrades to current owners.

9. X02 not even produced by X02 anymore. All you can get is eBay branded stuff made from same factory as old X02 kit.

10. I'm tired point made. David Lettermans lists are better.

Sorry man, I dont see it. Get over the $1 angles you had to buy from Home Depot.

you know gt, I never rant on here but seriously? Everybody knows how you feel, we don't agree so we'll all agree to disagree. How about that? Can we? I don't want to see this thread go into the toilet. Thanks.

Dudes, lighten up. The fog light comment was to add some levity to a long thread. In no way did I imply this FMIC was inferior. In fact, why in the world someone would compromise with a top mount with this option available? I think we all agree on that. You?

All I commented on was I prefer to mount things in my engine compartment, not leave things dangling and hanging. I'm anal like that. Then Home Depot comment was funny, I thought so anyway.

In fact, I am eternally grateful I have a front mount (you obiviously know who made that set up) and if I had to buy another one I'd buy this one.

Archived