LegacyGT.com

Racer X (itsme) FMIC install

itsme

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey i just got my racerx installed on my 08 wrx loving it pretty near fully tuned and pullls real good .

went from a perrin tmic and its alot more power through the power band my vf52 is loving it .

seems like the power band went to the right, even the wife says so .

pulls harder to 6000, the tmic seemed to hit harder but not pull as hard up top as this does .

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/aidenkiara/IMG_1207.jpg

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/aidenkiara/IMG_1206.jpg

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/aidenkiara/IMG_1202.jpg

thanks alot, took alot work to line it up .

so far only had a issue with one coupler slipping so my fingers are crossed .

great kit

glad i got the kit and kicked my perrin tmic .:)

Thanks. I'm glad you like it.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Ok so I installed my racerX kit over the weekend, it was a little challenging for me but I got it in. I am getting a fluttering noise now, which I believe is surge or the wastegate. I have a GPB bpv with the standard spring in it. I set it to be looser but I am still getting the fluttering. Should I put the lighter spring in the GFB or just try to keep adjusting the standard one? I still have the stocker so I could throw that on if need be.

Yes I know I need to get a tune for it but that will have to wait for a couple days until I get paid, then I'm gonna get another Infamous1 tune.

What is the easiest or most common way to check for leaks in the intercooler piping? Do you guys make some sort of contraption that you pressurize (I've seen this done using PVC piping and a regulator for your air compressor), or do you use soapy water sprayed at each joint and hope a leak would form bubbles while reving it at idle, or...???? I still have an annoying whistle above 6psi or so that comes and goes.

What is the easiest or most common way to check for leaks in the intercooler piping? Do you guys make some sort of contraption that you pressurize (I've seen this done using PVC piping and a regulator for your air compressor), or do you use soapy water sprayed at each joint and hope a leak would form bubbles while reving it at idle, or...???? I still have an annoying whistle above 6psi or so that comes and goes.

I took off the air filter off my Cobb intake...shoved a soup can in and cranked it down. Then I connected my compressor to that small hose that comes off the bpv. Pressurized until heard and felt leaks...went down the line. That method seemed to work pretty well. I had some major leaks that I found that way.

Although I did blow my hump hose coupler off this evening ( I guess I didn't crank that one down quite enough :o )

Ok so I installed my racerX kit over the weekend, it was a little challenging for me but I got it in. I am getting a fluttering noise now, which I believe is surge or the wastegate. I have a GPB bpv with the standard spring in it. I set it to be looser but I am still getting the fluttering. Should I put the lighter spring in the GFB or just try to keep adjusting the standard one? I still have the stocker so I could throw that on if need be.

Yes I know I need to get a tune for it but that will have to wait for a couple days until I get paid, then I'm gonna get another Infamous1 tune.

Anything? Mike? Bryan?

Is it 50/50, VTA, or recirc? When are you getting the fluttering? Getting off throttle on boost? At shift on boost? Rolling on the throttle from cruising speed? If it is surge the sound reminds me of a turkey gobble when its bad, a cough when its good.

Need more info to help.

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH! BPV hell!

Two of you? Bryan you bought a new tranny :eek:.

The GFB I can diagnose via forum. I need to see yours Bryan. Not familiar with that hulking monstrosity you call a BOV.

But, if the valve is opening too late you get a "surge". If the valve is leaking and not holding boost all kinds of odd noises can be made.

I took off the air filter off my Cobb intake...shoved a soup can in and cranked it down. Then I connected my compressor to that small hose that comes off the bpv. Pressurized until heard and felt leaks...went down the line. That method seemed to work pretty well. I had some major leaks that I found that way.

Sound like a good system. How could I do this test without an air compressor (since I don't have one)?

Make it 3 cars right now having BPV problems with this kit. My OEM one is leaking at times, I'm pretty sure I need to upgrade.

OEMs are a crap shoot. Some hold 21-22psi, some leak past at stage2. Some are leaking past and owners dont know it. Making up for it with turbos working harder.

At stage2+ I would deff be looking into a replacement. I assume your boost levels are at least 18psi w/ a FMIC. Would be nice to have a BPV with some adjustability at this point.

Yeah running 19 PSI peak boost with an Infamous tune on the stock VF40. When I first installed the smaller pill, I was overboosting a bit and the BPV saw 20 PSI a few times.

Really happy with this FMIC though, even on the stock turbo. Running more boost, more timing, and 0 knock with Shamar's tuning skills. Plus obviously much less heatsoak compared to a TMIC.

As far as the compressor goes I didn't have one before either. I went to home depot and bought a 2 gallon compressor for $35. My original intention for that was just to use it for my tires but it really helped out with the leak test.

As far as when I am getting my "noise", it seemed that when I had the gfb (which is full recirc) set to be stiffer I was getting the noise in every gear but since I made it softer or looser the noise only seem to show up in 4th and 5th. But I have to do some more testing I guess. It usually happens as I'm letting off throttle or if on partial throttle. I THINK....I will confirm this after I get to work...I blew a coupler last night so I will have to see what it does today.

A fast cough is good. It might come with a slight flutter while rolling on the throttle in 5th/6th. This is Ok. I can explain it all, but its detailed. In essence the spring is fighting the compressor until the last possible moment before inducing "surge". So you are getting the best possible boost and a small amount of charge air left in the pipes after a shift (better throttle response).

Yup. A slight cough when shifting or getting off throttle (fast) when on boost. Then you might get the flutter at 3-4krpm while rolling on it to accelerate from cruising speed. All normal with a properly set up valve. I can forward lots of docs on the subject. Have posted pages of them on the forum before.

Archived