LegacyGT.com

Racer X (itsme) FMIC install

itsme

Tthe oem TMIC is covered in comparison 80% or more. If I want to expose my FMIC more I simply have to cut out the center vertical bumper skin post in the middle of the opening exposing the FMIC. I have been considering cutting and glassing the opening and tossing a grill on as others have done.

I find it comforting that my FMIC is partically BEHIND my bumper beam for practical reasons: When the guy gets his F150 back, from the body shop, after the fatality offset collsion with the sti san bumper beam, backs into my car parallel parking I hope my bumper beam takes the hit not my FMIC. (If it crushes more than the foam it was more than a parking collision IMO). Maybe I should just order a spare core from Bryan considering my luck.:spin:

...and I don't want an sti front end. I would have gotten an sti in that case.:p

Having a FMIC where only 50% of the core is exposed seems to me a design flaw. The other 50% is serving what purpose?

To solve it, obviously a new bumper is needed. You say the OEM TMIC is covered 80% or more, how did you come up with this?

To reiterate, I'm not here to argue, just curious.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not actually covered. But the airflow from the scoop and diffuser is poorly "aimed". If you hold the hood barely open and look with a light you see that the top (firewall) 30% of the TMIC has no real airflow. Members have devised scoops off the TMIC to get the air flowing. Also consider that the damn thing is sitting on the engine. Its pretty warm right there. Then, if your splash guard is broken or gone you lose most of the flow through the TMIC as the air coming up from the ground and swirling in the engine bay stops the natural "suction" effect.

FMIC's are better than TMIC's because even if they are blocked more air gets through them. You can place a piece of paper on mine and when the rad fans kick on its stuck the the core. I know that even in traffic I get more flow over the core than before. Our front ends suck for a FMIC. We know. But its better than the alternative, so we do what we can. Without completely removing the beam and having a custom "Big Mouth" bumper fabbed up its what you get.

Having a FMIC where only 50% of the core is exposed seems to me a design flaw. The other 50% is serving what purpose?

This should bediscussed in the FMIC sales/q&a thread instead of the install thread (sorry guys). Assigning a operational functionality of nothing to whatever part of a FMIC core is partially covered is false. It is merely not operating at optiomal efficiency = FACT.

To solve it, obviously a new bumper is needed. You say the OEM TMIC is covered 80% or more, how did you come up with this?

Based on how little the scoop actually does relative to a partially covered, "small"... fmic. Changing from TMIC to FMIC granted me an advancement of 5-7 degrees of timing in my tune!!! Thats a substantial hp gain my man.

Without the bottom engine cover/skirt, air does not flow properly through the hood scoop anyway and my headers would MELT the OEM bottom engine cover and would not fit any pre-made rally/aluminum pans.

This should bediscussed in the FMIC sales/q&a thread instead of the install thread. Assigning a operational functionality of nothing to whatever part of a FMIC core is partially covered is false. It is merely not operating at optiomal efficiency.

Based on how little the scoop actually does relative to a partially covered, "small"... fmic - 5-7 degrees of timing difference for me!!!

The bottom engine cover/skirt is required the hood scoop does not even function properly too.

I respectfully disagree with your statements. I'll leave the subject alone, I'd rather not start arguments.

Thank you for the input.

I respectfully disagree with your statements. I'll leave the subject alone, I'd rather not start arguments'.

Thank you for the input.

Dont leave the subject alone, ask questions and educate yourself! Check out the original thread (I know, a load to read) or just post at the end. There are more than a few people here with a LOT of technical experience that will very clearly answer questions or post links (even with a little sarcasm). The bottom line is any FMIC in a TMIC car is going to have some compromise - particularly when you examine a LGT front end.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gi-new-low-cost-fmic-05-09-lgt-and-08-wrx-112489.html?t=112489&highlight=itsme+fmic

It is not an STi. It is an LGT. There are many differences. Get to know the car better.

Like I said before there is NO FMIC made for an LGT that does not have the core blocked by the beam or skin. Without a pure custom bumper it can not be done. There is no enough room. The cars design does not allow for it.

There are test done to show that some air is flowing over the entire core. But yes, not as much across the entire core. It still offers better cooling than a TMIC. Thats all we can do. Nothing is perfect. Unless you build a pure race car it is all compromise. The RacerX FMIC is a LOT of compromoises to meet all the engineering requests. We discussed it on the open forum for almost a year before going into production.

Sorry I'm still not able to get black couplers. I have been asked before the size of the couplers 2"x 3, 2 1/4" to 2" reducer x1, 2 1/4 to 2.5" reducer x1 ,2.5" x 2, 2.5" hump hose x1, 2.75" to 2.5" reducer x1. These are coulpers.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Thanks Bryan, it's ok...I'll source them.

Any chance the kit can be purchased sans IC, clamps, and couplers? Josh at ImportImage can coat them inside and out for less than $200. Thinking about it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

My main concern with this setup is air infiltration. It seems a good 50% of the FMIC is covered by the bumper beam. Any thoughts or opinions on this??

This is where I mentioned on another thread that the 06/07 sti front bumper conversion would be a great idea as there is ALOT of room for a FMIC setup.

Just because the top half is covered doesn't mean it is not effective. Go out and beat on the car, put your hand on the inlet and outlet areas of the core, you will see it is cooling just fine.

I don't think fans are an option. No room in there. Put a water sprayer in there or something....or a CRYO2 system? Don't really see the need for it unless you live in Death Valley.

I have shipped about 30 replacement pipes and bolts yesterday. Please let me know if you shipping info has change. I'm only shipping to people that have replied. So I'm going back and emailing everyone that bought a kit. If you haven't got a e-mail yet. it's on the way and if you have already replied I will be shipping everyday. If you get an e-mail even though you already replied disregard. My brain is turning to mush between sending e-mail receiving e-mails, making boxes, stuffing boxes, making label, etc......:spin::spin::spin: But, I will get it done. :)
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

It's ok, we all know you're crazy busy! Fyi, I sent my info via e-mail to you a couple days ago.

Bryan, would you be willing to sell the pipes separately?

To reiterate, I'm not here to argue, just curious.

Why not just fab up some duct-work to direct cooling to the portion of the IC behind the bumper beam?

Really, even removing the bumper beam won't yield that much more airflow since the top half of the IC is still blocked by the bumper.

^^^on that note all you really have to do is block off the air flow over the top of the core. Similar to a radiator shroud.

You could easily screw aluminum sheet to the top of the bumper beam and use door weather strip to cover the edge.

If you look down from the top you can clearly see that there is a gap between the bumper beam and core. Air is hitting the core and some is being diverted up and over the top.

Quick question...I'm going to do my install next week; what do I use as a gasket between the IC and the turbo? Just use rubberized gasket paper and rtv?

Use the Mr. Gasket Part No. 738G. It's a chevy thermostat gasket and works perfectly at that connection. Re-usable too.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVCatalogAssetStore//N3615M/full/6900023_mrg_738g_main.jpg

Quick question...I'm going to do my install next week; what do I use as a gasket between the IC and the turbo? Just use rubberized gasket paper and rtv?

No gasket is needed between the turbo and the IC, rather the included coupler is what you will be installing. If you are referring to the BPV, I was successful just using a paper gasket. There is even a template for this somewhere on this board....

No gasket is needed between the turbo and the IC, rather the included coupler is what you will be installing. If you are referring to the BPV, I was successful just using a paper gasket. There is even a template for this somewhere on this board....

:confused: It's a flanged connection there if you are talking about LGT style turbos, and a gasket is definitely a good idea. If you are using an STI style turbo with the FMIC, it is just a coupler.

:confused: It's a flanged connection there if you are talking about LGT style turbos, and a gasket is definitely a good idea. If you are using an STI style turbo with the FMIC, it is just a coupler.

Ahh, my bad.... I forgot the LGT style turbo connects differently..

Archived