LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

Mine fan's began to stay on last weekend at 35,500 miles. Car now has 36.100 miles and the fans are still on. I have the 100,000 mile program. I'll have to remove AP and MBC and call the dealer.

Yes I have had the A/C drain plug up and the carpet get soaked, that was back in July.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just made an appointment to drop my car off next week for the fans being on. I mentioned the studdering problem and the tech bulleten about it. The Service Manager said, they had never heard of that problem.

Why am I not surprised, it's amazing how out of touch the dealers and SOA are with the real world.

I still have not heard back from SOA on the wind whistle noise that I told them about last Aug 04.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just got back from dealer, and they have ordered the ECU and both fan relays. told me they should be in on Wednesday.( yea right, dont thing I'll hold my breath on that one.) They said that my car is the first one they have had to repace the ECM on, that makes me feel great.........NOT! They also said I don't need my other keys because thats stored in the BCM. I think I will leave the extra keys in the cup holder anyway. Just in case.

Wish me luck!

My fan stuck on sometime during August. Talked to Serv Mgr today at Charlie's Subaru in Augusta, ME; never heard of the problem. I suggested SOA tech folks know all about it. She phoned, confirmed they do know about it and have a fix. After having mechanic confirm that fan stays on, ordered the ECU and relays. Claim they'll have parts in 2 days. In and out in less than 10 minutes; barely finished my free coffee!

Dealer called a little while ago. They need the key code tags on the other set of key's that are at home. They can't start the car with the code numbers. I wish they would have reminded me they needed them.

My son will drive the Suburban home during college lunch break to get the numbers. Great fuel mileage. Shouldn't take more then 4 gallons of gas. It's only about 55 miles round trip.

Lesson here is, remember to bring all the keys with you for a ECU change.

edit, 2PM, cars ready, I'll pick up it soon.

Add another to the list. Dropped my car off for diagnosis, they confirmed that it needs a new ECU which will be in early next week. No mention of relays on the work order.

FWIW, my symptoms went from fan-stuck-on-randomly, to fan-stuck-on-constantly.

My freaking dealer sucks. I brought it in yesterday and told them that the AUX fan is stuck on after a cold start. It's only happening after it sits for a while now. When it was warmer out it was happening anytime the A/C would come on.

So they called @ 5pm yesterday and said it was working fine. After talking with him for a minute I realized he was looking at the climate control blower.

So today they call and said everything is working properly. So I'm going up there at noon to show them what it's doing.

The only reason I brought it in was to get a loaner and they didn't have any.

So I called them back and they keep telling me it's normal operation. I told them to just call the Tech Line and if they don't know anything about this then I'm fine with it. I even offered the case number on the invoice above and they said they can't look that up.

And then when I mentioned that I've seen at least 15 people on this forum that have had the same problem and their dealers have replaced the ECM he told me not to "believe everything on the internet."

-This pissed me off.

Went back to my dealer for installation of ECU and relays they ordered earlier in the week. I forgot the second set of keys, and after about an hour, they came around and asked me if I had them with me - they hadn't realized that both sets and the key tag were needed to do this job. Tried to do it with just one key, and ended up with the security light on the dash blinking all the time! End result, they put the original ECU back in; changed the relays, and the fan seems normal! They're going to sit on the ECU for a while 'til I report back on the fan operation.

So I called them back and they keep telling me it's normal operation. I told them to just call the Tech Line and if they don't know anything about this then I'm fine with it. I even offered the case number on the invoice above and they said they can't look that up.

And then when I mentioned that I've seen at least 15 people on this forum that have had the same problem and their dealers have replaced the ECM he told me not to "believe everything on the internet."

-This pissed me off.

My dealer said they didn't hear about that problem either. What I did was printed off a couple of pages from this thread showing the symptons and calling the techline and after they re-produced the problem, they went ahead with the warranty work. The thing that I stressed was after the Aux fan came on, it would never turn off. If your Aux fan only comes on after the AC is on, turn off the AC and if you have the problem, it will stay on.

They're fixing it now. I told them to call the tech line to see what I was talking about.

I was explaining that when the AUX fan came on it never turned off. The guy I was talking to on the phone said he has a GT as well and his does the same thing. After he called the Tech line he realized that both our cars have the problem. HA!

They said they're checking to see how to fix it. I told him new ECM but they have to hear it themselves.

And this guy was discrediting what I found on the IntarWeb!

Archived