LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

oh well now my radiator fan is on all the time regardless of whether A/C is switched on or off... heh didn't take long for things to go from bad to worse..=(

Anyways my baby's going in for service on the 18th for a 30K km tune up and to get the fan problem looked at ( again )

I just wish Subaru would issue a service bulletin to officialize this problem once and for all so things would speed up for all those affected

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took mine in today...they replaced the relays and the ECM. Presumably the ECM is the same as ECU. They had to call SOA Tech Line (which I told them to do to begin with to save time, but God forbid they listen to a customer....) when they couldn't figure out what the deal was.

They cannibalized parts from a newer and supposedly "known good one" GT they had on the lot. If they know they are good, then they know there is a problem, but hey.....back to the story. The fan is now off, and I have to break in a new computer. They also had to reprogram the keys, and of course I only drove in there with one, soI have to go back to do the others.

I guess the short story is my car appears to work now. We'll see how it does in 5000 miles. Might need another computer then. Also, there was a mechanic note on my invoice saying there was a weak ground at the relays...don't know what if anything that might mean, but thought I'd throw it out as info for the rest of ya'll.

exactly what they did to me 10K km ago but now the problem with the radiator fan is back and they may have to replace the ecu again. My car is now running better than it ever has and the idea of breaking in a new computer does not sit well with me, especially since the new ecu only turned out to be a temporary fix anyways. I don't think I'm gonna stand for plugging in a new ecu each time there is a fan problem and besides I wonder if Subaru's gotten the message yet that there may be a real problem out there... I mean those 'defective' ecus may are prob stacked pretty high up by now.

Well while driving to work today my fan came on and would not shut off. I noticed it while sitting at some red lights and thinking "why is the fan on?" I remember reading this thread a while back and so I paid closer attention. The thing never turned off. It was 42* F this morning, no need for the fan to be on a whole trip to work. Got to work, shut down the car for a bit to let it cool, turned on the car and there was the fan again. Blows.

The coolent temp at the highest was 190*. Does anyone know what temp the fan is supposed to turn on at? Looks like I will be unmarrying the AP and heading to the dealer... I have to wait until next week though, I'm leaving for FL today and will be home Tuesday..

Guys have you made sure the 2 green connectors hidden under the dash on the passenger's side are not connected ?

Check out this thread, http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7480 and this too

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6873

I remember seeing another thread where someone took pictures of their location, I have been trying to dig them up but still can't find it.

I keed I keeed

RTFAs please.

Yes they do, l tried it yesterday and the cooling fan turns on and off repeatedly.

One thread states that it took a dealer 3 hours to figure out that the green plugs where connected, which they shouldn't be and that fixed the guys cooling fan on problem.

I keed I keeed

Yes, you are correct, it does turn on and off repeatedly, but if your car has the same problem as ours, under normal circumstances (green plug disconnected) our fan is on ALL the time. Also note that when connected, the car is in "test" mode so that is why the fan fluctuates on and off. Also you will notice the odometer display is different.

I reverted back to stock ECU settings and took my car to the dealer this morning to get the new carpet hook, windshield wipers, and have the cooling fan looked at. As previously stated, they will be installing a new ECU to correct the cooling fan issue. Before the tech called the subaru tech line, he wanted to try to blame my aftermarket amp and speaker install. :lol:

Hey Kaptan, Thought:

If they replace our ECU and the new ECU has a new version of software to fix the stuck on fan problem, wouldn't reflashing the ECU with the AP put back the old version of code which was the problem in the first place? Or is it not a bug in ECU code that is causing the problem? Any thoughts?

I don't think it is a bug in the ECU code as it cannot be fixed with a simple reflash. Also, this problem did not exist for the first 5 months of ownership. This problem also is present with some that have gone the ECUTEK route and some that are still stock. Hopefully this is something that I don't have to worry about in another week when the ECU gets installed.

I got my new ecu installed today. This would be my second replacement in about six months, the original computer failed after 20K kms and its replacment after an additional 10K kms.... The reason for failure is always the same FRONT DRIVER SIDE RADIATOR FAN WON'T SHUT DOWN problem. I'll keep you guys posted on how long this one lasts....

I'm glad..well not glad but rather relieved that I'm not the only one having this issue......and to think they tried to blame my after-market HIDs..even after the were removed and the car returned to 100% stock...

FROM A POST BACK IN NOVEMBER.......

About 2 weeks ago, my Legacy GT started to exhibit a rather strange trait. About 5-10 miles into driving, the AUX cooling fan in the engine bay would turn on and run continuously. The fan was really noticable while idling at a stoplight, my car literally sounded like it was going to take off. Now I'm used to the A/C cooling fan cycling on and off with the compressor, and at times during the summer, the main cooling fan would cycle on and off to keep the engine running cool, just as every car I've ever owned has done, however once the fan turned on, it would never shut off. The only way to get the fan to shut off was to shut off the car. Even after leaving the car idling for nearly 20 mins, the fans still wouldn't shut off. Now, it's approaching winter here in New England, so I knew it wasn't a matter of the engine getting too hot. Also, the coolant temp. gauge never passes higher that the halfway point, so I knew it wasn't a heat issue. I innitially figured it had to be a relay, so I promptly made an appt. to have the dealership where I bought the car take a peak at the situation. My dealer was far too quick to blame the HIDs as causing the problem, and to their credit, the service manager did demonstrate just once the fan kicking in immediately after turning on the HIDs. I have since totally removed the HID kit, relays, ballasts, etc...and even with the stock headlight setup the problem persists.I brought my car to another local dealership, with the stock headlight setup in place, and they were able to determine that it was an issue with the cooling fan relay, or something along those lines, but even after replacing the relay...guess what..then fan's still run continuously. The first dealer was able to tell me that they did get an error code from the Body Integrated Unit, which from my understanding is like an ECU for the electrical/computer system.

- Justin

***RALLYON***

mark me down as another victim >: (

Are you stock? Oh and sorry to hear..

Just brought mine to the dealer. Waiting to hear from them. The service guy asked me if I had the defroster on as that fan is for the A/C and that is why it would be on. Told him no, while the car is on, regardless of HVAC, it never shuts off. He seemed surprised so I don't think they see this often at that dealership..

Update:

Well they don't have the car ready yet as they can't figure out what was wrong. They basically said it seems to be a problem with the ECU (as we already know) but they were waiting for a call back from Subaru support to confirm. I have a feeling there will be many more of us with the same problem... Hopefully Subaru will address this.

I don't think it is a bug in the ECU code as it cannot be fixed with a simple reflash. Also, this problem did not exist for the first 5 months of ownership. This problem also is present with some that have gone the ECUTEK route and some that are still stock. Hopefully this is something that I don't have to worry about in another week when the ECU gets installed.

I had the same symptons... My car was fine for the first 4-5 months..then wham..one day I noticed the fan on while pulling into work. After bringing it to the dealership where I purchase the car, they were quick to point blame on the aftermarket HIDs I had installed into the car...claiming that they were the culprit. After returning my lighting back to stock, the problem persisted. I then brought my now stock car to another Subaru exclusive dealership and they told me that the car was operating within specs. I finally decided I had had enough of listenting to the fan all the time and simply unplugged the cooling far from the harness. I ran my GT w/o the fan through the winter, figuring there was little chance of my car overheating during the winter months. I had honestly kinda put off ever getting the problem fixed, until I came across this posting rather by accident.. The whole time while dealing with both dealerships, I was insistant that the car hadn't done this from day one..but no one could pinpoint a problem. Needless to say I've got an appointment with dealership #2 to have the problem looked at again. It also helps that my girlfriend is now working in the parts dept. of said dealership. I'm not glad to hear that so many of us are having issues with our cars, but I am relieved to hear that I'm not crazy and that my gut instinct was right.

- Justin

Are you stock? Oh and sorry to hear..

i was completely stock when it started

i work at a subaru dealership and my buddy in service said he has no idea yet...no bulletins about it or anything

Ok, I got my ECU replaced yesterday. For those that are getting this done, make sure you bring your spare keys/key fob with you as those need to be programmed with the new ECU. Also, FYI - if you have an AP installed - make sure you unmarry it before taking it to the dealer. I have an earlier version of the AP (I got it when it first came on the market) and when I tried to flash the new ECU I got an error stating the ECU version is incorrect. I called COBB and they advised me that I have to send it to them to have new firmware installed on the AP. Apparently there are more than a few different versions of ECU's for the 05 Legacy and the new firmware will work with all that are currently available.

Archived