LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My gt Indiana facility, fan comes on with just the key on, don't even have to start the engine. Fan is on constantly regardless of climate control. The dealer I contacted was unaware of the problem. I made appointment for Jan. 7, they told me they would research problem before the appt.

I just had the same thing happen to me while idling at a light. Turned car off and back on, hasn't come back. It's always refreshing to read that others are having the same problem, now I have some ammo to bring with me to the dealer.

Part of the problem is that I live in f'n Antartica! 10 degrees this morning.

**Update***

Took my car to the dealer today to follow up on the cooling fan (which they already confirmed was a problem) and they ran the tests that the tech line told them to. Based on their super scientific tests :icon_neut they have come to an amazing conclusion.....The ECU and the two relays are bad.:icon_bigg God it feels good when they have not choice but to admit you were right all along.

The interesting thing is that they are not going to reflash the ECU, they are just going to replace it as well as the relays. They'll have the new ECU by Tuesday and will be putting it in my car on Wed. I don't even have to be without my car! I just thought I would report back.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know if this is a firmware problem? Do they reflash the ECU or is there a physical hardware problem that requires the ECU to be replaced? I hope this is a firmware problem (like the stuttering) that they corrected so this crap doesn' t come back in 2 years when I'm out of the warranty period.

Mine just started this the other day with about 19k miles on it. Driver's side fan sticks on high speed after driving for awhile.

Engine stuttering, crappy/chipped paint, and now this...

Whoop-dee-doo for my Subaru!! :icon_roll

Well mine has doing it for awhile and i finally found some time to bring it in ,so when i do they, tell me the can not release the car under its condition ,and then they said its because the car has mods and they need to make sure that its not the mods doing it..lol..so i said ok riiiiight,now i am driving a outback wagon..and the relay they said it is they are showing none in the country get that crap...but anyway i have to say i can't wait to gey my LGT back this out back is a peice comapared to it all i have to say to new buyers is spend the extra and get the quality..

I stopped by Suby of Stamford after work today. They said she is going to have to stay overnight and they will give me a loaner. Its nice to know some dealers actually give people loaner cars outside of NYC.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Well, I removed the Main Fan Relay cuz I'm fed up with the noise! Our dealer here on the island is not afiliated with SOA so they have no access to the Tech-Line.

So while they decide what they do, I'm stuck with the problem. Opie, any way you can help with this? Give them a call or something?

Well mine has doing it for awhile and i finally found some time to bring it in ,so when i do they, tell me the can not release the car under its condition ,and then they said its because the car has mods and they need to make sure that its not the mods doing it

What mods do you have on the car, if you don't mind my asking??

This problem started happening for me during the middle of last week. The first time it happened I thought it was another car in traffic making the noise. Sure enough, it was the AUX cooling fan staying on no matter what the temperature.

I dropped it at the dealership this morning and received a call around noon. They are trying to tell me this is normal operation. I had a 10 minute argument with the guy on the phone about it.

I have to go down there this afternoon and demonstrate the problem. I will ask them to call the subaru tech line to get the proper fix. I've also opened a case with SOA, hopefully that might light a fire under the dealer to get this fixed.

So it this limited to the beta version(late 04 - early 05) LGTs or has it occured on the new (late 05) ones ?

My build date is 12/04

I dropped it at the dealership this morning and received a call around noon. They are trying to tell me this is normal operation. I had a 10 minute argument with the guy on the phone about it.

I got that response as well.... "not able to duplicate". I guess I'll just have to wait until it's stuck on sometime and stop by the dealership at that moment. They did at least admit that this ECU problem was somewhat common for the 05 LGT.

only mods i have are

whiteline springs

perrin panel filter

exhuast

boost gauge

volt gauge

perrin sways

Thanks for the info. I think it's safe to say that it's not your mods that are causing the problem...

The dealer has finally agreed this is a problem and has ordered a new ECU. Apparently the ECU is not in the country so it could take a few days to arrive.

In order for them to admit this was a problem I had to jump through a bunch of hoops. I printed out the work order that was posted earlier in this thread to prove to them that the problem did exist and replacing the ECU and relays was the fix.

They send out the shop foreman with me in the car. The car is cold, I turn on the AC and turn it off after a minute. What do you know, the AUX fan is running full blast and the car isn't even up to normal operating temperature. So now the shop foreman is with me on this, but the service manager starts arguing with him!

The service manager was arguing that if the fan stayed on all the time the car would run cold and throw a check engine light. They bickered back and forth for a few minutes and finally the foreman called the SOA tech line. They told him about the fix and he walks out to my car.

He starts replacing the relays and I ask him about the ECU. He tells me, "It says the ECU was already done on the work order you handed me."

Dipshit. I told him the work order was from someone else, apparently he thought it was for my car. He gets all huffy and walks back inside and calls the tech line again.

So, as it stands, they are waiting for parts and will be replacing the ECU and relays in the car.

This is a sad state of affairs. I shouldn't have to convince these guys that there is a problem. I shouldn't have to do the legwork of researching the god damn problem, finding someone elses work order, and convincing them to call the SOA tech line. It should be a simple as dropping the car off, stating the problem, and they take care of it. Unfortunately, it's never been like that at any dealer I've gone to for service. It's sad that I have to know more about the car than they do in order for them to fix it.

I understand that they deal with the "typical" subaru owner all day long: A crunchy granola, backpacky, L.L. Bean loving tree hugger who doesn't know anything about the car (not that there is anything wrong with that). They tell them there is no problem, give them a free pair of wool socks, and send them on their way. Well, screw that. I want the car fixed, and not the god damn run around.

As far as replicating the problem, I was able to do it just by turning the AC on for a minute, regardless of the temperature of the car.

Archived