LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as replicating the problem, I was able to do it just by turning the AC on for a minute, regardless of the temperature of the car.

UDAMAN!!

That worked like a charm. I already took it back to my dealership and demonstrated it for them... new ECU due in by next Wednesday or so...

To the dealership's credit, once I demonstrated the issue, they didn't waste any time arguing with me about it.

I wonder if the new ECU will help the stuttering as well :icon_roll

I just brought my car in this morning to get this resolved, and I was told that the relays are on backorder (no ETA). I guess many people are seeing this problem too. Don't be surprised if a TSB is issued shortly.

Not to dwell on the stuttering issue, but this went a way for me after going stage 2. I flashed back to stock to bring in for the ECU swap and within 10 miles of resetting the ECU, I noticed it was back again. I ran stage 2 for well over 10k miles and never once noticed the stutter.

Once i get the new ECU, I will know shortly if the stuttering issue is fixed before I go back to stage 2.

I wonder if the new ECU will help the stuttering as well :icon_roll

I just got my ECU replacement this problem has only been plaguing me for the last year. Makes me wonder if the operational life span of my cooling fan is now several years less....... Anyway the dealer here replaced my ECU, and all fan relays. Cooling fan is now off, and dosen't seem to kick on..........

Two observations for me after the fix

1) The car is much quiter now, and the idle is glass smooth

2) The engine bay seems to be much hotter. I noticed this when checking my oil level. It feels like an oven, where as before with the cooling fan running full blast all the time, the engine bay remained significantly cooler.

Overall its almost like a different car now with the ECU replaced it just runs different.

BTW on a possibly releated phenomena, I have an oil burner legacy GT. I go through about 1 qt of mobile 1 every ~2000 miles. Since my cooling fan has been stuck on since basically I bought the car the dealer thinks that the engine never got to proper operating temperature and never broke in properly. However, they will not do anything about it other then to note subaru's official policy is if a car consumes more then 1qt of oil for every 1000 miles that is excessive. He recommended now that the cooling fan is off, to run it hard to see if this will get the rings to seat properly. He thinks my combination of never getting the engine to proper operating temperature and not running it hard has delayed the ring seating. Possibly I guess, after all isn't the raditor thermostate supposed to regulate coolant flow and keep the engine at a constant temp? Who knows, but I have noticed a big difference in underhood temps since the fan fix.

Took my LGT in to the dealer today for the radiator fan problem. Gave them a list of part numbers and a recommendation to call Subaru Tech line.

Dealer rep just called back to offer a loaner car. Keep you posted on my progress.:confused:

Fkngrvn OUT.............

Update:

After getting the loaner, the dealer rep called back to say that I could pick my car up. I was told the ECU was on back order. In the meantime, the dealer also said it was OK to drive the car. The dealer also added that the parts number that I gave them was incorrect.

Anybody know if the part numbers for the ECU are different between the Auto and the manual?

Another update: finally got my service dept. to call the techline and low and behold they come back and tell me there was a TSB issued last week. Not sure if there really is a TSB for this or not just thought I'd pass along what I was told.

No parts available (of course).

Cheers!

-Ian

My OBXT '05 started up with this problem 2 days ago at 21000 miles. Thank god for this forum... my dealer was really cool about it and will replace the ECU/relays next week. I'm surprised there's no TSB about this yet..

well, I suppose the good news is that my annoying problem is experienced by many of you.

And the bad news is that it means an uncertain trip to the dealer and the re-installation of my stock cat, etc...

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

ok, my car is finnaly done and here are my thoughts on it.....

what a wierd problem..i contacted subaru of america many times on this issue that the dealer had my car for like 25 days ,and they had no parts in the country which was unfortunate to me..so they gave me a rental subaru outback...not impressed smelled like oil all the time....anyway for my unfortunate situation they payed two of my carpayments which to me shows a very stand up thing to do so in my book subaru has there shit together 100% on customer realations ..on my behalf the only car i will ever own is a subaru because of this ...

ok, my car is finnaly done and here are my thoughts on it.....

what a wierd problem..i contacted subaru of america many times on this issue that the dealer had my car for like 25 days ,and they had no parts in the country which was unfortunate to me..so they gave me a rental subaru outback...not impressed smelled like oil all the time....anyway for my unfortunate situation they payed two of my carpayments which to me shows a very stand up thing to do so in my book subaru has there shit together 100% on customer realations ..on my behalf the only car i will ever own is a subaru because of this ...

Wow. How did you manage that? My fan has gotten worse, I started the car today after an ice storm last night and the fan immediately started running full bore. The car hadn't even warmed up and the AC was not on.

Would you mind posting your SOA case number for the rest of us to reference?

Any more word on the TSB #?

My dealership service manager is such a tool I don't want him denying the work because I have STi springs or something retarded like that. It really sucks too, because the assistant managers are so good there. (Oh yea, I would go somewhere else, but this IS best dealership.

Mine has been on so long that now only one of my fans runs. I think the other died.

I got a call from the dealership last friday saying all the parts had arrived. Service appointment is scheduled for tomorrow. We'll see if they can manage to work on my car without damaging anything this time.

Archived