LegacyGT.com

Cooling fan stuck on?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im gettin real sick of this...its not my relay... : (

All you have to do is to tell them that this problem has happened to more than a few other 05 LGTs, Subaru tech line is aware of the problem, and that the fix is to replace the ECU. If they still give you a problem, contact SOA or try another dealer.

im gettin real sick of this...its not my relay... : (

My dealership tried passing the buck on the cooling fan relay during my first visit as well.. Needless to say, once the part came in and was replaced, the problem persisted. It was only then that their story change to "Subaru designs their cars to run the cooling fan's more often due to the high performance nature of the turbo-charged boxer engine". My argument was that the fan ran CONSTANTLY..but they couldn't find anything wrong with my car. Hah..I knew it was a line of crap back then..especially where my car was fine for the first 3 months of ownership, and then just one day the problem started. I am also on my third turbocharged Subaru...having previously owned a 2004 STi and a 2002 WRX..so I knew that the whole constantly runnning cooling fan HAD to be a problem. I knew once enough people reported the problem, SOA/SOJ would look into it. So after running my car w/o the fan plugged in for 7 months..I can finally rest assured that my problem wil soon be remedied. On a side note, has anyone heard of JDM/EDM Legacy GTs having the same issues..or is it purely a USDM Legacy GT issue? I'd also be curious if anyone with a naturally-aspirated 2.5 or 3.0 H6 motor is experiencing the same problems?

- Justin

***RALLYON***

As I stated in my previous message..I ran my Legacy GT for 7 months with the cooling fan entirely unplugged...saving myself from havgin to listen to the drone of the fan we've all grown so accustomed to listening to. Granted I'm in New England..(New Hampshire more specifically) and the temperature hasn't topped 70 degrees between October and now, but never once did my car come even close to overheating...and I never got a CHECK ENGINE light. Ironically enough..at times the smaller AUX cooling fan behind the AC "radiator" would cycle on and off....even with the AC system eintirely turned off. It's almost as though the ECU "knew" the MAIN fan had been disconnected and was running the AC fan as a fail-safe measure.

So for those of you still waiting for your "ECU fix" to come through, rest assured it appears to be safe to run the car with the fan disconnected. For those ambitious individuals who wish to take my advice...you'll find a locking connector at the bottom right side of the fan. Simply unplug the connector, and voila..the noise is gone.

On a side note...I wonder who's eating the cost of all these ECU replacements.??. For Subaru's sake..$$$..I hope they have recourse with the ECU manufacturer..assuming the ECU wasn't "built" in-house.

- Justin

***RALLYON***

if you want to unplug your fan, its the 25A fuse above and right of the green 30

just undid mine...wow my car sounds REALLY quiet...

ill watch the temp gauge to check if it ever overheats, i still have the fuse in the backup spot in case i need it

Mine is stuck on as well. This problem developed just a couple weeks ago around 4800 miles.

Several months ago, I switched to synthetic Mobil 1 oil. Anyone else with this problem using Mobil 1? Reason I ask, is that it seemed that the normal operating temperature of the vehicle increased slightly after the oil change. It wasn't until just a few days ago though that the fan issue arose.

Perhaps this gradually threw the ECU out of whack. Pure speculation, but until Subaru issues a service bulletin, I'm reluctant to take this problem to the dealer for an ECU replacement that may or may not fix the problem.

Thanks for the fuse info, itr_eg.

When did you purchase your car? My guess is that there was a bad batch of ECU's from the factory. I know that the ECU that replaced my old one is a different version because I was unable to flash with CAP.

Mine is stuck on as well. This problem developed just a couple weeks ago around 4800 miles.

Several months ago, I switched to synthetic Mobil 1 oil. Anyone else with this problem using Mobil 1? Reason I ask, is that it seemed that the normal operating temperature of the vehicle increased slightly after the oil change. It wasn't until just a few days ago though that the fan issue arose.

Perhaps this gradually threw the ECU out of whack. Pure speculation, but until Subaru issues a service bulletin, I'm reluctant to take this problem to the dealer for an ECU replacement that may or may not fix the problem.

Thanks for the fuse info, itr_eg.

No Mobil 1 here. Standard oil from the dealer.

I bought mine at the end of July 04. Are the actual build dates somewhere on the car? And where can I find them?

Also I have the same problem as Kaptan. Just had the ECU replaced and tried to flash the new ECU with the AP and received "Incorrect ECU" error.

I bought mine at the end of July 04. Are the actual build dates somewhere on the car? And where can I find them?

Also I have the same problem as Kaptan. Just had the ECU replaced and tried to flash the new ECU with the AP and received "Incorrect ECU" error.

You need to call COBB and then ship your AP back to them so they can update the firmware so that it is compatible with the newer ECU versions.

Archived