LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every 5 PSI

For the pivot mode:

It might be a decent idea to create an option to display every boost led as 2psi, with markers every 10 psi. I believe you said the sensor is capable of handling over 30psi. This way people boosting say 26psi can get the same visual effect as people running stock boost of around 13psi.

Once again this is just an idea, im full of them:cool:. The only problem I could see is that if double the value for each boost LED, then technically you should double the value of each Vacuum Led as well meaning that the lower leds would likely never serve a purpose.

I think it would be fine to keep the same scaling on vacuum and just double the boost leds.

I don't know if that makes sense...

Is this user selectable? Can this be disabled, as I think it causes the clean look to be cluttered.

+1. It helps better identify the actual boost level, but that's what the OLED display right under it is for.

If you were displaying three separate pieces of information, that is no digital readout for boost, it would be very useful...

Ex: Boost on the leds, OLED1: voltage, OLED2: Oil Pressure

A quick video of the pivot implementation with markers.

The first time I watched the video I didn't even notice the OLEDs were off until you entered boost. That is very slick! :spin:

I may like the pivot display best, its a close one...

Edited by grantman10

dunno if this would be hard... but is the LED bar maximum scalable? meaning full LEDs could be 15psi, 20psi, 25psi .. etc. so say my boost peak is 19psi i could set full LEDs to 20 and know if i'm making full boost just by seeing the LEDs fill up.

just throwing out ideas...

As for the external temp and oil pressure senders, would it be difficult to implement alarms? These alarms, much like the overboost warning, would be very useful. I think a high and low pressure alarm on the oil pressure and a high temp alarm on the ambient temp sensor (for post intercooler temps) would be very cool.

Ver 1.04 will now have alarms on aux. (pressure or temp). Also implemented new alarm on volts. Also new alarm menu to quickly adjust alarm parameters. more later...

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

Ver 1.04 will now have alarms on aux. (pressure or temp). Also implemented new alarm on volts. Also new alarm menu to quickly adjust alarm parameters. more later...

That is awesome! 1.04 is going to be the cat's meow...

Down the road, after 1.04 is out and any (possible) bugs are fixed, you should consider extending this product line to the DSM community...

DSMTuners.com is the most popular forum for the DSM community, and they are a much larger community than most Subie forums. The site owner, ludacris, would surly be glad to help you out in getting the word out about this product.

I know this may be far down the road, since it seems like you are trying to expand to cover more subaru owners (wrx), but I think its something you should keep in mind...

I was a member of that forum for about 5 years and learned a great deal from the DSM community. I know a lot of Subie owners that feel the same way...

a few more videos of version 1.04 beta. Trying to wrap this version up and get it off to some beta testers. Complete version feature post to come.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yvNljJUmWw]YouTube - BOOST DEMO - VBG1 - VERSION 1.04 with NEW Pivot display and alarms.[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsJa6f6DC8]YouTube - ALARM DEMO - VBG1 - VERSION 1.04 with NEW Pivot display and alarms.[/ame]

a few more videos of version 1.04 beta. Trying to wrap this version up and get it off to some beta testers. Complete version feature post to come.

Very nice!

Thanks for the addition of the new alarms! I'm sure they will end up being very useful and hopefully save someones engine...

I'm getting very excited. :cool:

Is it possible to change the graph display to pivot like the boost bar?

Maybe, but it's too late for version 1.04. That one is locked down for changes. Oh just so you guys know, the menu configurations have changed a little bit for the latest version of SW. V1.04 - see the new manual for details:

http://www.gtboostgauge.com/VBG1%20-%20Manual%20for%20V1.04.pdf

So is the newest version ready to go?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• I Donated

I received and installed a v1.04 beta unit yesterday!

First impression when I took it out of the box -- it's a lot smaller than it seems in the pictures/videos. It looks really small just installed in the vent (should be obvious when you think about the scale of the vent, but It never really registered with me). I'll get pics at some point in the near future. But, it's very readable despite being so small. The way the display is set up, the information is much more efficiently displayed than with traditional gauges.

Now that I have it installed and have driven around with it, I don't know how I ever lived without this. The pivot display seems to be the natural way to do things, and I love the peak feature. It's interesting to see that I'm getting up to 15+psi just squeezing the pedal on the highway. These are the kinds of things I would never see if I didn't have this gauge.

Oil pressure is ~60psi when I start the car, 70-80 when driving, ~30psi at idle after having driven any distance. Thought -- the timeout is exclusively boost-activated. If it's in vacuum for the preset time, it turns off. If it goes back into boost, it turns on. This isn't great for the oil pressure readout. Can there be an option to either have separate timeouts for each readout, or have the displays both reactivate when the oil pressure drops under a certain threshold (say, 20 or 25 psi)?

Over the next couple of days, I'm also going to test changing refresh rate. The oil pressure display is constantly flickering back and forth to different numbers. It's a bit distracting at times -- takes a second or two to get an accurate read on the range.

Seems like the brightness has been very carefully calibrated to match daytime brightness for the higher brightness level, and maximum nighttime brightness for the lower one. Overall, this is a very slick display. Even my girlfriend was impressed. ;)

I'll have more impressions as I drive the car more. These are the impressions after install, a short test drive, and a drive to and from my parents' house, 20 minutes away.

Edited by thefultonhow

Thanks for the feedback thefultonhow. How much longer was the pressure harness than needed? I had no idea how long to make that.

Thought -- the timeout is exclusively boost-activated. If it's in vacuum for the preset time, it turns off. If it goes back into boost, it turns on. This isn't great for the oil pressure readout. Can there be an option to either have separate timeouts for each readout, or have the displays both reactivate when the oil pressure drops under a certain threshold (say, 20 or 25 psi)?

The gauge will also re-activate if the any of the alarms trigger. So if you set a low pressure alarm, the gauge should always notify you. The oled timeout can be disabled however it is recommended for oled preservation.

Changing the display rate in the options menu should help filter the vac and oil pressure readout if you think it's updating to quickly.