LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

lossol--- since your not busy at all ha ha any plans on doing something like this next?.. no really I would love to have something like this in a oem looking vent install and I am sure other people would too...http://www.ecliptech.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=97

just a thought

good work your stuff looks awesome!!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say, I've finally received my RHD beta unit, looking forward to fitting this :) although it probably won't happen until Sunday :spin:

Andy, was wondering though, is it possible to get a clear glossy plastic cover over the device so it has a uniform look and feel like the info display clock? This will probably mean the capacitative buttons need to be re-designed, but it's just a thought...

I've been excited last night and got it fitted to the air vent. I wrapped the ribbon cable around the air vent and double-sided-taped the module to the underside of the air vent tube, as I figured this was the best way to prevent accidental damage from removing the air vent in future. Mine just reaches around the 1.5 wraps, if the cable is folded in the right way :)

Now I'm just waiting for two fuse-taps to arrive from eBay... before I fit the gauge up ;)

I recently updated the manual, added some more information about where to tap power, where to hookup the vac/boost lines, additional info about OLED displays and stuff.

You can find that here: Manual

I also added more information about how the illumination line should be hooked up and it's functionality. Thanks for the questions JP.

lossol--- since your not busy at all ha ha any plans on doing something like this next?.. no really I would love to have something like this in a oem looking vent install and I am sure other people would too...http://www.ecliptech.com.au/index.ph...d=47&Itemid=97

just a thought

good work your stuff looks awesome!!!

I hate to disappoint...I probably won't make something like this, but I appreciate the suggestion. I'm not sure what my next project will be...Maybe a 2010 VBG1...I dunno. I also like the idea of interfacing the CAN bus and grabbing info.

I just wanted to say, I've finally received my RHD beta unit, looking forward to fitting this although it probably won't happen until Sunday

Andy, was wondering though, is it possible to get a clear glossy plastic cover over the device so it has a uniform look and feel like the info display clock? This will probably mean the capacitative buttons need to be re-designed, but it's just a thought...

Yeah I have to admit, I would of loved it to be a flat surface, instead of nearly flat surface. For those of you who haven't seen it in person, the OLED Screens are directly exposed because the graphic overlay is die cut around their perimeter. I tried a prototype overlay which covers the screen with a clear lexan polycarbonate - however I noticed that because the screens top layer is a anti-reflective polarizer, I was getting much better direct sunlight viewing without the clear cover. I might play around with new overlays in the future, however they are expensive to prototype with. However ideas always welcome.

got mine last week delivered to work, but only back from California today. Will hopefully get it insstalled during the week

Sweet!

I've been excited last night and got it fitted to the air vent.

So it fits?!? Alright! looking forward to the final hookup and pictures for the RHD version. Thanks for being a beta tester tangcla.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

12V switched is correct. The manual recommends to tap the IG2 circuit.

"Power should be sourced to the VBG1 before engine start, for most model years IGNITION

power provides proper power sequencing. Some model years (07+) have some ignition lines that

power off briefly at engine start. The atmospheric sampling sequence depends on proper power

sequencing. Please be sure that the proper power sequencing is provided to the gauge."

"The sending unit requires a minimum of power and ground to be hooked up in order to operate the

VBG1 as a boost/vac gauge. The VBG1 Power wire (RED) wire should be attached to the IG2 circuit. The

easiest place to tap this circuit is at the fuse box using a fuse tap."

... so glad that RHD gauge fits! :)

Edited by lossol

12V switched is correct. The manual recommends to tap the IG2 circuit.

"Power should be sourced to the VBG1 before engine start, for most model years IGNITION

power provides proper power sequencing. Some model years (07+) have some ignition lines that

power off briefly at engine start. The atmospheric sampling sequence depends on proper power

sequencing. Please be sure that the proper power sequencing is provided to the gauge."

"The sending unit requires a minimum of power and ground to be hooked up in order to operate the

VBG1 as a boost/vac gauge. The VBG1 Power wire (RED) wire should be attached to the IG2 circuit. The

easiest place to tap this circuit is at the fuse box using a fuse tap."

... so glad that RHD gauge fits! :)

Yep all wired up and back in the car now, i will start testing things out on the way home for work in an hour or two. How accurate in terms of psi should the gauge be? Also what so i need to buy to get the AFR aspect working on the gauge?

Thanks

Dan

quick drive home seems like gauge is working, however my peak boost is 1.51 bar which i thought was a bit high for mine. Is the BAR function working properly or do i need to leave it on PSI?

Do you want me to post beta issues here or PM Andy?

1.51 bar = 21.9006984 pounds per square inch - seems high for stock. How does the vac look. Should be pulling up to 22inhg at idle around 18ish warm

I think you have the power hooked to the wrong circuit.

From the manual: link

"The VBG1 Power wire (RED) wire should be attached to the IG2 circuit. The

easiest place to tap this circuit is at the fuse box using a fuse tap"

764160116_fusetap.jpg.17f4740f26cb32dd0a6ec0a6012bad57.jpg

Hope this helps.

Your stock boost should read about 1 bar.

I have ecutek map on mine so should be a bit higher. mechanical gauge before was reading about 1.3. ill check the power again but as far as i know i hooked it up to 12v switched, like it only comes on when i turn ignition to "on" position

ill try connect to the IG2 circuit and see does that make a difference, just need to get one of those fancy fuse connectors!

Edited by LegacyDan

Bottom right fuse :) dunno which one it is, I don't have my fuse panel sticker...

did you just solder onto the fuse or use connector pictured in the manual? If so what are they called? it would make my google searches easier. rather than trying " mini blade fuse connector thingy"

Oh, sorry, misread your question.

I got two of these, one for the illumination and one for the powerhttp://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300486062024&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT:

cool thanks, now i know what they are called. Cheers

So I fitted it last night and was spending way too much time looking at it while driving to work :rolleyes: here are some quick camera phone photos.

Andy: A thought, maybe it would be good if the LED bar (and also the graph) could show vacuum and boost at the same time? i.e. the point at which MAP=0 would be partway up the graph.

000000|00000000000000000000

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9297/photo1vt.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5274/photo2hzf.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9846/photo3mx.jpg

Edited by tangcla

So, I ordered my VBG1 a few weeks ago, received it last Thursday, and installed it Friday the 19th. The install went well, with no major complications.

Upon initial power up, the right hand OLED screen was inverted. I powered the unit off then back on and it was back to normal. The unit then ran perfect for three days.

Last night I was going to show the unit off to some friends (figures it happened this way...). When I powered up, the left hand OLED screen was displaying garbled pixels. So I powered on and off numerous times, the left screen stayed garbled, both screens would randomly invert, and the right screen would sometimes display stretched out text and blackout.

Frustrated I drove home. While doing so I got into some boost and the garbled pixels went away, but both screens were still inverted. When I got home I cycled it about 20 times and every time it came online without garble and in the proper orientation, but two times the right screen blacked out after a few seconds and when I pressed the top button the screen would come back online but inverted.

Not sure if anyone has ever had issues like this before, I've read this thread in its entirety and don't recall anything more severe than the occasional misplaced power wire. I also know that no production line is perfect, there are bound to be faults at some point. It just sucks when you're the person that gets them. Hopefully it’s nothing major, and/or can be easily fixed.

I will try and catch some pictures of the garbled pixels, and will post a crappy cell phone picture of the right screen inverted when I get home from work.

TLDR: VBG1 random garbled pixels/inverted screens.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z198/Qautre-/1122100925.jpg

Edited by Misfire