LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

I'll put an order in the minute the inHg in metric mode is fixed. Looks great!

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to run this with another boost gauge already running off of the bpv vac line. Would it be better to tee off of the currently running Tee'd line, or running another T, further downstream on the bpv vac line.

Alternatively, is there another vac line I could tap if doing many taps off of one line can cause issues with gauge response and such?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't matter. Vacuum (and boost) should be in a 'sealed' loop so no matter where you take the reading it should give you the same result.

There are exceptions to this rule, on older cars which have vacuum lines for all sorts of things...

Ok.. What should be the easiest portion of the install is being a pain. I can't even get the unit to power up. I have an "add a fuse" connected to IG2, use one of the screws that seem to be used as a grounding point to the left of the fuse box.

It will not power up. Is there an easy way to power up the unit?

Thanks

i think you will have issues if you dont connect it to the IG2 circuit, mine was reading boost really high because i used the same switched power as my dvd player, needs to have the correct power sequencing on start up to work properly.

With my add a circuit fuse tap i need to put fuses in both blade slots(if yours has 2)

Interesting. I only used 1 fuse for IG1 but will need 2 fuses?

in your circuit tap, can it take 2 fuses or just one? if it has 2, then both need to be populated with fuses to get it working properly i think, that was the case with mine

Yeah.. the fuse tap has room for 2 fuses. I didn't think to add another fuse since it worked for IG1. I just added a secong fuse to the fuse tap, connected to IG2 and it worked great. Wonder why I didn't need 2 fuses for IG1.

Thanks again for such an awesome product and great community support. I thought that having read the manuals countless times and reading the 44+pages of this thread a few times would have prepped me :lol:.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
  • I Donated
If there is ever a version 2.0 of this that has input for an oil pressure sender, I will buy it in about 2 minutes. As it is, I don't know whether I want to spend the money to have it in a separate location from an oil pressure gauge. Thoughts?

A few of you have mentioned oil sensors. I was wondering what you guys prefer to use.

A while ago dschultz suggested a great idea to have a programmable analog input. Here is what was suggested...

Very nice product!

I like that you used the analog output of the LC-1, that means you could use it with any AFR measuring system that provides a linear 0-5VDC signal. I happen to have a 14point7 NAW_7s. What would be nice is the ability to customize that analog input such that someone with an oil pressure sender could monitor the pressure rather than AFR. I think all that would be needed is three functions: Name, 0VDC=some_value, 5VDC=some_value and the user could customize the input to monitor anything that's linear 0-5VDC.

Sorry for the really late suggestion, or if it has been mentioned already.

Edit: Rather than 0VDC=some_value & 5VDC=some_value. A better approach would be a multiplier and offset. This is how the ECU scales some of the linear sensors already built into the car. MAP being one of them. The raw sensor value is read, that value is multiplied by a fixed value to scale it and then an offset is added (a negative offset would need to be accommodated) to put the final value in the range of real units.

I am hoping to implement something like this on the next rev of the firmware.

Also in the works for next version rev:

-OLED Screen saver option - auto shuts down OLED when enabled and pulling vac for specified amount of time.

-Fix metric display of Vac

-Marker leds on Boost

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

Found a bug... Whether you are using bar or psi, the vacuum still reads in InHg (ie not mmHg)

Yeah - you were spot on.

Does that mean the vacuum readings are off? Wonder if that affrects boost measured?

I don't think so. Just the wrong unit of measurement.

correct again.

This will be fixed in Version 1.4 of the software.

How about something like this?

http://prosportgauges.com/Premium-oil-pressure-sender-1.asp

0-5 VOLT

0-150 PSI

You could always check the VDC output with compressed air. Make your own scaling by stepping the air pressure in 5PSI increments and measure the resulting voltage.

With something like oil pressure I don't think you need to be exact. If you are +/-5PSI that should be fine. Because all you really want to know is what is normal for your car under different conditions.

Edited by dschultz

Nice, I like that one, they sell the wiring harness too! Pretty cheap for what looks to be good quality.

I purchased one to evaluate it with the VBG1.

With something like oil pressure I don't think you need to be exact. If you are +/-5PSI that should be fine. Because all you really want to know is what is normal for your car under different conditions.

Agreed, actual resolution will probably be something close to that. I plan to implement oil pressure plotting like afr plotting. That way when you review the peak boost plot you can also see dynamic change in oil pressure.