LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will the vbg1's be back in stock??

I should have a few back in stock by Monday.

thefultonhow, the slowest data update rate takes a 10x sliding average of the oil pressure. The display is always updated at approx 10 Hz. The update rate is pretty much a software filter, I implemented it when I was tired of watching vac numbers jump by so fast. There's accuracy and then there is useful accuracy.

It's possible the highest level of filtering for oil pressure is not high enough for some users, to be honest I dont monitor oil pressure in my car so I was relying on beta testers as a feedback point to what works.

Since I dont display decimals for oil pressure in the units of PSI. I'm thinking you mean it fluctuates between 76 and 77 when it's right on the edge (between 76.4 and 76.6).

There is a bit of Hysteresis built in however the value may be too small, or should be larger when the slowest 'update data rate' selection is selected.

Do you see a difference between the slowest and the fastest selection? you should, and if so I bet the fluctuation is larger, is it? I can make changes to the filtering for oil pressure if we think it could be improved. Other oil pressure beta testers, what do you think?

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

i think tangcla is talking about a permanent OLED off but LED on function. So you just have the LEDs sweeping all the time, but no OLED, even in boost. I wouldn't mind that either... maybe push a button to wake up the OLED screen.

This could be implemented in the 'swipe down' (blackout) feature:

one swipe = OLEDs off (bar graph LEDs on)

swipe again = ALL off

swipe again = ALL on

havent checked this thread in a while so can we now get gauge to do oil pressure too? do we need tobuy in gauge etc? Do RHD beta testers get the newer ones a beta tester prices too? im sure i can easily sell on my current one. I have a prosport oil pressure sender there i could use too, might just need to extend some wiring

• I Donated
Since I dont display decimals for oil pressure in the units of PSI. I'm thinking you mean it fluctuates between 76 and 77 when it's right on the edge (between 76.4 and 76.6).

Yeah, that's what I mean. Given the information you've given about how it works, though, it sounds like the actual pressure is varying rapidly between, say, 74 and 79, and so the integer average is just changing very fast as it jumps higher and lower.

Do you see a difference between the slowest and the fastest selection? you should, and if so I bet the fluctuation is larger, is it? I can make changes to the filtering for oil pressure if we think it could be improved. Other oil pressure beta testers, what do you think?

I'll have to check this out. It may be that instead of a 10-sample average, it might make more sense to do a 20-sample average? Would that change anything? Or would that make the data less accurate?

Also, a couple more questions. Is there a low-pressure warning when the pressure drops very fast? I don't think it is reaching my low-pressure threshold when I get the warning, as I generally see the pressure at the time in the 40s or 30s, and I set it to (I believe) 20 psi.

Second question -- does boost read higher at the BPV than at the boost control system? My tune is set for 20.5psi max boost, and I don't really see it go higher than 20.55 or so while logging, but my boost peak has gotten up to 23.2 psi once and 22.5 last night.

1.04 is out, and has been out.

thefultonhow, I was doing some looking on you tube and it looks like some of the digital gauges average the oil pressure more than others. Basically what I take away from it is that oil pressure is rather jumpy. That means we are going to see variation in the digital readout unless I add more filtering.

It may be that instead of a 10-sample average, it might make more sense to do a 20-sample average? Would that change anything? Or would that make the data less accurate?

I agree, the average for the slowest update setting should be larger if your saying it looks jumpy. Less accurate? Not really, but because it is an average however, time is involved. So it depends on how you judge accuracy, at an absolute point in time, or over some time frame.

Is there a low-pressure warning when the pressure drops very fast? I don't think it is reaching my low-pressure threshold when I get the warning, as I generally see the pressure at the time in the 40s or 30s, and I set it to (I believe) 20 psi.

No, most likely the transients of the pressure are dropping below the alarm threshold.

can we now get gauge to do oil pressure too? do we need tobuy in gauge etc? Do RHD beta testers get the newer ones a beta tester prices too?

The beta testing for 1.04 is closed. Yes the gauge accepts one input:

• AFR via LC-1
  • Ambient Air temp (sold by gaugetek)
  • Oil pressure via prosport oil sender (PSSMOPS) (adapter harness to be sold by gaugetek)

I looked at my records, looks like you have version 1.02. Back then buttton re-calibration was done a little differently, so I'm not surprised you might get lock-up under extream conditions of humidity/temp swings. In version 1.03a I think all of that was fixed so even if it locks up. it will un-lock it self. within 20 secs or so.

The vent is a harsh place for this thing, but it's just part of the challenge to make it look good and work.

Firmware upgrades for beta testers. Sure, whenever your ready, PM me, send it back, and I will get you the latest loaded up. If you want a new sending unit (for aux sensor temp or oil press) that will be extra, but if you just want the display unit re-programed...free for beta testers.

I ran my temp sensor through the firewall here. [ATTACH]97463[/ATTACH] I guess that is not an option for manual transmissions. How much longer do you think you need it to be? I standard 4 conductor 2.5 mm audio extender should work, the 4 conductor versions are harder to find, I will need to order a 3 conductor and check compatibility, it think it will work fine because of the pinout of the sensor.

If the 3 conductor works my only other concern is where that extension connection resides. My guess is your going to say the fender, if so, it could be a bad place for a connection unless you seal it up well.

Andy, sent you an email concerning this, I'm ready to send it back! Just let me know when and were!

JP

The beta testing for 1.04 is closed. Yes the gauge accepts one input:

• AFR via LC-1
  • Ambient Air temp (sold by gaugetek)
  • Oil pressure via prosport oil sender (PSSMOPS) (adapter harness to be sold by gaugetek)

So if i want to get the oil pressure input work on mine with my RHD unit, what do i need to do? Can i send it back to you so you can update the firmware to 1.04

• I Donated
thefultonhow, I was doing some looking on you tube and it looks like some of the digital gauges average the oil pressure more than others. Basically what I take away from it is that oil pressure is rather jumpy. That means we are going to see variation in the digital readout unless I add more filtering.

I agree, the average for the slowest update setting should be larger if your saying it looks jumpy. Less accurate? Not really, but because it is an average however, time is involved. So it depends on how you judge accuracy, at an absolute point in time, or over some time frame.

I'm getting some big swings when I set it to fast update. But, a thought -- any way to have it redraw the display slower, with the actual values at that very moment? So, "fast" is 10 Hz or whatever it's at now, "medium" is 5 Hz, and "slow" is 2 or 3 Hz? But with no averaging. That way there is an accurate readout at that very moment, even if it's not 100% in line with the average.

So if i want to get the oil pressure input work on mine with my RHD unit, what do i need to do? Can i send it back to you so you can update the firmware to 1.04

Yes 1.04 is needed, plus the 1.04 sending unit, which has the new aux input plug receptacle. There is a 20 charge to update the sending unit for previous beta testers. The firmware update is free for beta testers.

To do oil pressure you also need a gaugetek aux adapter harness (30 bucks) and the prosport sender and prosport harness. (sold by prosport)

http://www.gtboostgauge.com/VBG1 Aux Oil pressure wiring instructions.pdf

any way to have it redraw the display slower, with the actual values at that very moment? So, "fast" is 10 Hz or whatever it's at now, "medium" is 5 Hz, and "slow" is 2 or 3 Hz? But with no averaging. That way there is an accurate readout at that very moment, even if it's not 100% in line with the average.

I think we really just want to average it more at the slowest readout. That way the numbers will be the average of all the transients, pretty much what the sluggish analog gauges are doing. How big are the swings in fast update mode? So do you think we should tweak the average on pressure? It may be needed.

Second question -- does boost read higher at the BPV than at the boost control system? My tune is set for 20.5psi max boost, and I don't really see it go higher than 20.55 or so while logging, but my boost peak has gotten up to 23.2 psi once and 22.5 last night.

I don't know the answer regarding the BPV, what I do know is the VBG1 is really good at catching transients of boost due to it's fast sampling rate. It will show up as spikes in the profile plot as well if it is a spike. I would assume the if it's not related to boost tap location then it could be a real pressure transient. Remember that when the VBG captures peak, it is a raw unfiltered peak, meaning it will catch almost anything. Hope that helps.

• I Donated
I think we really just want to average it more at the slowest readout. That way the numbers will be the average of all the transients, pretty much what the sluggish analog gauges are doing. How big are the swings in fast update mode? So do you think we should tweak the average on pressure? It may be needed.

The swings in fast update mode are pretty big -- 5-10psi. My worry with averaging a larger number of transients is that it may take a couple seconds to detect a catastrophic loss of oil pressure. I guess a couple of seconds isn't a huge issue, though... it's not going to make or break an engine. Either the damage is already done when pressure drops, or you're going to have to pull off the road before you shut off the engine anyway.

Couple of examples of different averaging:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSo8NcIczd8&feature=related]YouTube - Dodge Challenger R/T Digital Oil Pressure Gauge[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di9qnNHwtW4&feature=related]YouTube - Auto Meter Cobalt Digital Oil Pressure Gauge in a Jaguar XJ6[/ame]

look how long the delay is once the tach jumps up

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYb8jClJMDI]YouTube - AEM Oil Pressure and AEM UEGO Gauges[/ame]

Less averaging

thefultonhow, I was looking into this 'jumpy pressure' reading some more, I changed the adjustment on update rate speeds for the oil pressure aux readout. I tested it on the bench. Looks like more averaging was needed to make the three settings for fast,med,slow updates have a good range. If you want to send your gauge in, I can re flash it for you at your convenience.

• I Donated
If you want to send your gauge in, I can re flash it for you at your convenience.

Oh no! That would mean I'd have to do without my gauge for a few days! :lol: I've gotten so used to having it!

In all seriousness, I do really like the gauge and don't want to be without it for too long. Maybe I could send in a deposit and you could send me a new unit advance-exchange and refund the deposit once you receive the old one back? It's just the sending unit that I'd need to send back, right?