LegacyGT.com

Full tune of 68HTA, KSTech 73 MAF, Racer X FMIC and DW750s

LittleBlueGT

I ordered one of these turbos myself based on some of your testing LBGT. Now I'm praying to the ringland gods that she doesn't blow up.

Nice!! There is a local member (FireB) who is running the HTA68 (with FMIC), I had a chance to take a ride in his car, it is one sweet turbo, especially on 93 octane. :)

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is running a dyno tuned map..but it has a lot of fuel trim issues. So his tune is not solid at all...very conservative based on the logs I have seen. Assuming his maf/injectors are dialed in right, logs showed he was moving about 280-290 g/sec, but even though his target afr was about right, I suspect the maf scale is way off. He should be able to move alot more air than that.

I plan on helping him tune via OS early next month....but even with the fairly crappy current tune, it was a sweet setup, spooled quick and held it up top. He just installed a WB02, got the tactrix cable..so we are going to dial it in really nice. :) I am sure he will post some logs.

Does he datalog his car and opensource tune? It would be great to compare his logs to mines just to make sure I can get at least the same amount of power.

Any new updates LBGT?

I don't run my alky in the cold (scared of breaking something at 360-380 wtq, not too mention the growling noise we get in our cars in the cold), and it has been slippery lately.

If I get a few warmer days I will be turning on the alky for some tuning fun. But I am opposed to wasting gas on tuning, if avoidable, so I save most of my stuff for when I am to or from work, so it depends a lot on what shift I work if I have good logging roads.

I have been working on dialing in my front O2 scaling (skewing it close to 14.7:1 AFR) to get more consistent light load running.

I also hope to tune my load comp table.

I did some per gear runs today, 1st gear wouldn't work in airboy's sheet (smoothing factor was locked out from going lower) but I can show boost per gear: (IAT 10F) All runs were done at 0% WGDC with 15psi spring in EWG. It boosts higher due to restrictor pill, but actually works good as it will only boost higher in higher gears when more airflow is going through TMIC. Either way things will be turned waaaay up in the spring w/ alky, or sooner if I get a warm snap.

1st gear: (load is a good indicator of wtq, and it breaks 3.0 load at 4500 rpm)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/1stmrp.gif

2nd gear plot and whp graph:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/2ndmrp.gif

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/2ndwhp.gif

3rd gear plot and whp graph:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/3rdmrp.gif

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/3rdwhp.gif

hey lbgt,

i am plannig for an hta68 with avo intake and, currently, dw850cc injectors for an e85 tune...

some locals are advising me that the 850's might not be enough for e85 with this turbo.

from what i have read here and on the other forum the 850's are the size of choice, but some people are reporting 100% idc.

edit:

i found the e85 thread on the other forum.

i am still not sure about the calculation: do i need to calculate for afr(e85 rich) of 6.975 or do i need to use a scalar value for

the injectors and calculate for afr(gasoline rich) of 12.5.

thanks for any help

g

hey lbgt,

i am plannig for an hta68 with avo intake and, currently, dw850cc injectors for an e85 tune...

some locals are advising me that the 850's might not be enough for e85 with this turbo.

from what i have read here and on the other forum the 850's are the size of choice, but some people are reporting 100% idc.

edit:

i found the e85 thread on the other forum.

i am still not sure about the calculation: do i need to calculate for afr(e85 rich) of 6.975 or do i need to use a scalar value for

the injectors and calculate for afr(gasoline rich) of 12.5.

thanks for any help

g

I have not tuned E85, but from what I can see DW850s (for me they were actually 867 cc/min) will be right on the edge if you push the hta68. In fact from my (primitive) calculations you may need as much as 900 cc/min.

If you are only using it in the 70+ F IAT then your turbo won't push as much air. If you are using down to the 30s F then I would guess there is a good chance you may run out.

Looks like you are on the right track with your calculations, but I think most target an AFR (assuming calibrated for gas) of closer to mid to high 11s. It seems to make more power and be a bit cooler on the cylinders this way.

Since yours is an 07 with top-feed injectors, why not get the Bosch 1000 cc/min ones. Not that I have personal experience with them, but they appear to be the best ones around right now.

LBGT....Looks like you are good for 360-370whp @ 10 deg IAT with 20 psi peak.

You mean on alky? I almost feel like doing a torco tune, but it just seems useless as I will never use it. It would be a tuning exercise of what-if.

thanks for the advice.

i read the thread on the id1000 (btw the vendor also offers a top feed conversion kit).

very positive reviews, however at stock fuel pressure people report that they flow more like 900cc.

at 100% idc (47lbs/min - even though i will never get that form the hta68) they will allow for afr of 11.58 (calibrated for gas).

since i know nothign about tuning, i will have to go with the dw1000, to stay on the safe side.

thanks

g

I have not tuned E85, but from what I can see DW850s (for me they were actually 867 cc/min) will be right on the edge if you push the hta68. In fact from my (primitive) calculations you may need as much as 900 cc/min.

If you are only using it in the 70+ F IAT then your turbo won't push as much air. If you are using down to the 30s F then I would guess there is a good chance you may run out.

Looks like you are on the right track with your calculations, but I think most target an AFR (assuming calibrated for gas) of closer to mid to high 11s. It seems to make more power and be a bit cooler on the cylinders this way.

Since yours is an 07 with top-feed injectors, why not get the Bosch 1000 cc/min ones. Not that I have personal experience with them, but they appear to be the best ones around right now.

thanks for the advice.

i read the thread on the id1000 (btw the vendor also offers a top feed conversion kit).

very positive reviews, however at stock fuel pressure people report that they flow more like 900cc.

at 100% idc (47lbs/min - even though i will never get that form the hta68) they will allow for afr of 11.58 (calibrated for gas).

since i know nothign about tuning, i will have to go with the dw1000, to stay on the safe side.

thanks

g

link to that thread? Thanks!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Im looking forward to a good comparison of your old setup to your new....

Ive lost track of your mod changes, injectors, intercooler etc since the hta68 swap.

I know you are going to wait till its warmer out, but eventually put up some comparisons on the alky with the 380 vs hta68

So LittleBlue, subjectively - are you pleased with your move from your 380 to the HTA68? I am still debating whether to keep my 20G or go 68.

I think the HTA68 performs better then the 20G.

I base this opinion on amount of air it will flow vs spool. It seems to flow as much as any 20g logs I have ever seen. Yet it spools a touch better.

It actually makes sense. It uses the new more efficient style of compressor wheel. All of the new turbos coming out over the next few years will be using this style of wheel (Blouch XTR series, new Garrett wheels, hta stuff, etc...)

We are not talking a big amount here, but a noticeable amount none-the-less.

I'm waiting to see what your results are like when you're finished tuning. I still find it hard to believe that this turbo spools 500rpm faster than my 20G and flows as much air. My personal opinion is that the HTA68 is closer to an 18G or maybe a TD05-20G.

It's still difficult to see how much improvement you're getting from these new wheels as there is no apples to apples comparison. The Green versus the HTA Green shows nothing really. The HTA wheel is significantly larger, and spools slower than the normal green as one would expect.

I'm waiting to see what your results are like when you're finished tuning. I still find it hard to believe that this turbo spools 500rpm faster than my 20G and flows as much air. My personal opinion is that the HTA68 is closer to an 18G or maybe a TD05-20G.

It's still difficult to see how much improvement you're getting from these new wheels as there is no apples to apples comparison. The Green versus the HTA Green shows nothing really. The HTA wheel is significantly larger, and spools slower than the normal green as one would expect.

From what I have seen I would say it spools about 250-300 rpm faster then your 20g, and flows right about exactly the same amount of air.

That being said, your 20g is about the best spooling and flowing one I have seen (2.5 liter with single AVCS, not the GR w/ dual AVCS).

I believe I was up to 4.76 volts on a 73mm MAF. I really don't think your 20g would do more then that.

Did you run the HTA at all with your AEM intake?

I don't think so, but I scaled both the AEM and K&N, and they were both about the same.

I would have maxed out either, for sure. And I don't mean 4.96 ish volts, I mean I would have hit a solid 5 volts from 5300 rpm on.

Just guesstimating, but 4.76v on a 73mm intake should be about the same as 4.84v on a 70mm intake.

I thought that would be an 8% difference when comparing cross sectional area.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Archived