LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT up close

here's my experience with cars when a manufacturer changes a model. i owned a 2003 Corvette Z06 [C5 model] which i thought was the best looking Corvette ever. when i first saw the picture of the C6 model it was completely redesigned and i hated what Chevy did to my Corvette then i decided to go see the new model for myself. when i finally saw the C6 in real life i understood why Chevy changed it the car is has less overhang, better aerodynamics, longer wheel base, better fit/finish, bigger engine, etc. than my old one plus it looks more modern. bottom line is car companies for the most part change for the better and to me the new 2010 Subie looks good more modern/freshened up than my 2006. it must be what the people are asking for a more modern GT vs a STI wanna be. go see it in real life then if you don't care for it then fine buy a different brand.

carry on. :)

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
here's my experience with cars when a manufacturer changes a model. i owned a 2003 Corvette Z06 [C5 model] which i thought was the best looking Corvette ever. when i first saw the picture of the C6 model it was completely redesigned and i hated what Chevy did to my Corvette then i decided to go see the new model for myself. when i finally saw the C6 in real life i understood why Chevy changed it the car is has less overhang, better aerodynamics, longer wheel base, better fit/finish, bigger engine, etc. than my old one plus it looks more modern. bottom line is car companies for the most part change for the better and to me the new 2010 Subie looks good more modern/freshened up than my 2006. it must be what the people are asking for a more modern GT vs a STI wanna be. go see it in real life then if you don't care for it then fine buy a different brand.

I will! I'll probably go back to my VW/Audi roots... Who knows though, that decision isn't for another 4 years.... if I actually keep my car for the full 5.

Although it does look fugly, unfortunately it will most likely sell well here in the US as it appeals to the typical America driver. What really saddens me is that I was looking forward to having a turbo diesel in the current body style. Looks like I will be doing another swap.

-Max

Did you guys check out the torque on the spec sheets - 258 ftlbs of torque from 2000-5200 RPM. This thing is going to pull much harder off of the line than the current legacy and just imagine what a simple turboback and ecu reflash can do for this engine and powerband. The turbo must spool up even quicker.

For comparison, the current legacy does not hit its peak 241 ftlbs of torque until 3600 RPM.

Did you guys check out the torque on the spec sheets - 258 ftlbs of torque from 2000-5200 RPM. This thing is going to pull much harder off of the line than the current legacy and just imagine what a simple turboback and ecu reflash can do for this engine and powerband. The turbo must spool up even quicker.

For comparison, the current legacy does not hit its peak 241 ftlbs of torque until 3600 RPM.

Yea, my last turbo made it's 300ish torque at around 1,900. It was nice.

Thank for the nice pictures.

Does the dual exhaust tips look small to you in comparison to the previous LGT?

Yeah, they do look a little smaller in person. I believe the bumper is taller top-to-bottom, so this could make them look smaller. With the one tip on the NA, I'm not sure why they bothered to have an exhaust cutout at all.

+1

I think you really have to see the Legacy on the dealer lot and, of course, drive it. I've been looking at highly polished versions under the spotlights at the auto show. The atmosphere is designed to make you want to like the car. I also want to see about price. An '09 LGT discounted to $26-27K is an awesome deal IMHO. One that costs $34K is another story. If I'm not so concerned about practicality, the higher price puts me in 370Z territory, for example, and within range of other cars.

Wow...... That is quite unfortunate looking. I think they should have stretched those headlights back even farther, maybe the whole way back to the A-piller. Yeah, that would have looked sweet [/sarcasm]

IMO a few good things and a few bad things...

The Good:

-I think the grille actually looks better... The wing still needs to go, but at least they have mesh behind there now.

-can't tell from the pic, but if they kept the rimless windows on the doors, that's +1

-I like the bumper too, and how they stretched the foglight housings.

The Bad (and the Ugly)

-Damn that thing is a tank... Those fenders are way too wide, reminds me of the Mustang these days, totally unfitting of a legacy, which in my mind is a sleek silent killer

-wood panel trim... WTF, so glad my car doesn't have this shiz

-Headlights have been mutilated

-Taillights have been mutilated

-Honestly the interior doesn't look like it's been revamped much. My friend got a honda fit recently, and honestly, I think the honda fit is a POS and I would never drive that 115hp box, but I have to say the interior was very nice and stylish. Why can't subaru come up with a stylish interior?

-For a car that's statistically longer and larger than our current versions, WHY DOES IT LOOK SO SHORT AND FAT LIKE A MAZDA 3

Edit: After taking another glance, the fender/wheel wells are ABSOLUTELY KILLING ME.

I seriously can't look at these pics anymore, they really are kind of gross.

I'll reserve my judgment until I see it in person.

The stigma of the legacy is that no one really knew about them until the '05/'06 model year - unless you were a die-hard Suby driver. With the '05, it was obvious where Subaru wanted to take the car - main stream. With the 2010 model they've taken one additional step toward toyotafication. The sad thing is that they will now sell more b/c the sheeple in this countly like plain looking cars. So - in a business sense - Subaru did the right thing even if they do alienate some of their die-hards.

As for the curb wieght - I read somewhere that the 2010 is actually lighter than '09, so the ~22 hp gain is a real gain.

Honestly, before buying my '05 LGT I thought the car was ugly in pictures until I walked up to one. But let's be honest, the leggy looks like any other mid range 4 door sedan out there. There is not much you can do with 4 doors on 4 wheels.

Guest heightsgtltd

See I don't know that they will sell more of these, that's the funny thing.

Unless you need AWD, and you are an AVg. driver, why are you choosing this over an Accord, Altima or Camry??

Unless you need AWD, and you are an AVg. driver, why are you choosing this over an Accord, Altima or Camry??

:rolleyes: can you consolidate all of your hate to one thread please?

Guest heightsgtltd

:lol:

No, I am getting good value out of both. At least I am not on the band wagon that the JDM version is soo much better :lol:

For those people who can afford more than an Altima, Accord, or camary, but can't go up to an Acura, Infinity, or lexus - it's a good fit. People like AWD too. It's very rare that I see a G35 without the X, same with BMW. Most of the drivers of these cars are chicks. Now I'm not dissing a woman's ability to drive a car, but I think it's safe to say that they buy a car for it's sex-appeal more than it's drivability.

Don't discount the 40 or 50 somethings who are hitting a bit of a mid-life crisis, looking for a little sportiness in a vehicle. They see all these WRXs around but want something a little more mainstream but still shares some performance traits. Typically a mustang or camaro would fit the bill, but these 40 or 50 year olds probably have young kids and need 4 doors. It may sound like I'm looking to deep into this, but remember that Subaru has one goal - to make money. In the auto industry, when selling a mid-range car you make money by appealing to the masses, not enthusiasts.

Archived