LegacyGT.com

2.5 GT vs 3.0R

Ok so your outback has about equal ride height as a stock lgt. Using a stock lgt for comparason when discussing handling probly wont win you many arguments. You can throw facts at us all day long but in the end we saw how the car performed in the video. You can tell me you used the freshest ingredients to make a really good cupcake but if I eat the cup cake and it tastes like shit you cant tell me it doesnt just because you used good ingredients, or perhaps you put really good ingredients into a contamanated oven and used the wrong temperature... either way your cup cake sucks ass. Oh and P.S I would have loved for mommy and daddy to have bought me my toy, however I had to go door to door in the rain sleet snow for 6 months to get myself in the drivers seat. Im sure it makes you feel real headstrong formulating templates of peoples lives based on internet arguments im sure that attitute helped the design of you racecar outback. P.S regarding age maybe you should think twice about you avatar pic, the fbi is doing some serios pedafile hunting on the internet nowadays... Just a heads up.

I think you need to post some video of you autocrossing so we can compare.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is nothing worse than Auto X arguments; bringing cupcakes into it only makes it worse.... :lol:

Hey, what kind of oil should I use in my Legacy? I have heard that Mobil 1 is really good.

Mobil 1 will cause rod knock and the car will then burn your house to the ground. Even if you have a detached garage.

The funny thing about this debate is there has only been one person who commented on the SI Drive option, and that has to be factored in.

I have a 3.0R with the 5EAT. Most of the time, I leave it in the "sport" mode. This works pretty well in most situations. I can always use "sport#", and that basically holds shifting until 6400 or so (near redline).

In the US, do you get the paddle shifters with the 5EAT on the 3.0? If so, just set it to the manumatic mode, and have fun. I have no issue with sportiness and the 3.0, and this makes it even more fun.

And I'm from Rochester, and that drive can get quite boring. And it's not like you're going to fly on I-90. More cops there than men on Paris Hilton.

One other consideration not discussed in detail is the difference between the VTD drive system and the 50/50 system used in the manual LGT (and WRX).

In high speed sweepers and other high load tursn, the VTD-equipped car feels a lot more neutral. In the same turn, the WRX "pushes" a little. Easy enough to tune out, but another thing that makes the 3.0R equipped cars nice drivers.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

^^ I guess I am ignorant, can you explain?

Probably has something to do with the fact that the hp and torque curves for the H6 don't intersect at 5,000 rpm, not 5,252 rpm, but that is likely a plotting/graphing error. All hp and torque curves for a given vehicle intersect at 5,252 rpm, if at all. In other words, they either intersect at 5,252 rpm or they don't intersect at all, e.g., diesel engines and engines with redlines below 5,252 rpm.

Similar discussion: 2.5GT vs. 3.0...

See dyno graph comparison between the two engines:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=159028#post159028

This is pretty funny!

That is a composite graph I made from some Subaru factory graphs posted by Andrew Anderson. The scale of the graphs for each engine was different, making it a bit of guesswork.

The only 5EAT LGT I've ever seen dyno data on was done in Denver. Since they're over 5,000 ft above sea level, that is not a scientific comparison. But here it is.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/419014943_qsLMi-L.jpg

Since the manual 3.0R isn't sold here, there are no dyno runs of those.

I got so sick and tired of all the BS butt-dyno talk here that I paid for a co-worker to take his 5EAT LGT to TDC. I was going to go right after him so we'd have the same dyno results, back to back. And TDC called and said they couldn't get it above 5,000 rpm and refunded the money.

At 7,000 miles I dyno'd my OBW 3.0R, running Regular, because again, there were a bunch of internet bar racers voicing all sorts of opinions about being able to run Regular in the H6: 91 octane is "recommended," but not "required," like the 2.5T. And low and behold, despite a 7,000 rpm redline they stopped the run at 5,900! No wonder TDC is out of business, but here's the graph on regular. There were no problems running regular that we found. In addition, the AC cutout never functioned, so we have runs with and without AC.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/419014889_7ZNb6-L.jpg

OP, glad you bought what you wanted. I think it's both funny and sad that some people think 15 ft lbs of peak torque and 100 lbs less weight is a performance mountain when comparing the Legacy/Liberty/Outback 2.5T to the 3.0R: but when comparing the lighter, more powerful 09 WRX, larger differences in peak torque and weight are a performance molehill.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I think it's both funny and sad that some people think 15 ft lbs of peak torque and 100 lbs less weight is a performance mountain when comparing the Legacy/Liberty/Outback 2.5T to the 3.0R: but when comparing the lighter, more powerful 09 WRX, larger differences in peak torque and weight are a performance molehill.

It is :lol:

Mobil 1 will cause rod knock and the car will then burn your house to the ground. Even if you have a detached garage.
Been using it in this 3.0R since new. It now has around 75,000 miles on it.

One of our Accord V6's has run dino since new, the other Mobil I. They both have around 85,000. It could be another year or two before they have enough miles to be able to tell the difference.

BTW the dealer recommends against using synthetic on any engine with VVT.

YMMV.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

The graph referenced above on Subaruoutback was my attempt to merge them together for comparison, which was necessarily an exercise in interpolation. But the character of the engines comes through: the 3.0R has a nearly flat, impressively broad torque profile that makes it extremely easy to drive hard, for hours on end. The 2.5T (and they don't say which one, and there are now at least five different versions) has a relatively flat torque curve compared to similar high output/displacement engines from roughly 3500 to 5500 rpms. You can see why the 3.0R is a better fit for an automatic: in fact, no transmission at all.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/497185467_iqZkg-L.jpg

N00bs, we know you love your car-of-the-day. But it's a lot more helpful to the community to do some performance testing or dyno runs and report back real data. A number of those graphs were never posted here, or removed: they were posted to Subaruoutback.org or NASIOC because of the posturing here, but we'll try again. Given that the Impreza, Legacy, Liberty, and Outback are all built on the same platform with the same engine family, it's all pretty silly.

Here are the dyno graphs from Subaru Global, originally posted in a similar thread two or three years ago. Note that while the horizontal scale is the same, and the vertical scale for hp is the same, they use four different scales for torque (right side vertical). Also, the units are SI. 1 NM = 0.738 Ft Lbs. 1 KiloWatt = 1.34 Hp (depending on which Hp scale you are using).

3.6l

http://www2.subaru-global.com/s001/images/e009172_img.gif

3.0l and 2.5l

http://www2.subaru-global.com/s001/images/e006628_img.jpg

2.5T and 2.0l

http://www2.subaru-global.com/s001/images/e007698_img.jpg

Maybe someone can find the diesel?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

// P.S regarding age maybe you should think twice about you avatar pic, the fbi is doing some serios pedafile hunting on the internet nowadays... Just a heads up.
Just to clarify, you mean, "Serious Pedophile?"

Do give Sports By Brooks a Heads Up. That's where the pics are from.

I am deeply suspicious of any male who doesn't think sbb girls = Win.

http://images.sportsbybrooks.com/girls/3/4/34ce3f4ced98964500b7d262d59f6bd7_MP582.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Just to clarify, you mean, "Serious Pedophile?"

Do give Sports By Brooks a Heads Up. That's where the pics are from.

I am deeply suspicious of any male who doesn't think sbb girls = Win.

http://images.sportsbybrooks.com/girls/3/4/34ce3f4ced98964500b7d262d59f6bd7_MP582.jpg

Um, they win. FTMFW....

you know, there is something to be said for having all of the torque of the 3.0 available all the time. It's funny that the turbo crowd lives and dies by spool up, while I just keep pushing as I go through the gears. It's the smooth delivery that makes me happy. And no hood snorkel to rattle the cops.

P.S regarding age maybe you should think twice about you avatar pic, the fbi is doing some serios pedafile hunting on the internet nowadays... Just a heads up.

thems SERIOS PEDAFILES :lol:

anyway, thanks VVG for the comparisons and meanginful info. OP sorry your thread totally got sh.tted on but at least you were able to decide on a car that suits your needs

i'm going to sbb.com now

Archived