LegacyGT.com

2.5 GT vs 3.0R

Yeah, I understand.

I test drove a friend's 350Z track edition with 6MT and around 300 naturally aspirated horsepower and it felt sluggish next to my Eclipse GSX Turbo with around 350 hp. Turbo engine pulls harder.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly you should by the Spec.B. Maintenance is taken care of by gnomes installed by SOA, it's faster than a Nissan GTR, and it flies. All from stock.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads."

Drive them both.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yeah, I understand.

I test drove a friend's 350Z track edition with 6MT and around 300 naturally aspirated horsepower and it felt sluggish next to my Eclipse GSX Turbo with around 350 hp. Turbo engine pulls harder.

Stop talking

Do you like buyers remorse because if you do then you will love the 3.0, and if you really like it then wait a couple months when you change your mind about modding and realize you have no options. If that doesnt convince you then maybe this will help. The subaru 2.5 liter turbo was rated as the international engine of the year in its size class 1 or 2 years ago. The winner for the 3.0 class was the bmw twin turbo I-6.
BTW it's "Engine of the Year," for 2006 and 2009. But I'll bet $10 you and some of the other people posting in this thread have never even driven a 2005+ 3.0R. Or a 5EAT 2.5T, for that matter.

I own a 2006 Outback 3.0R and a 2009 WRX. The 2.5T requires premium, requires twice as many oil changes, and is much rougher. It also produces more power (in the case of the WRX, substantially more power) and is available in the US with a manual. There are tons of mMods for WRX's and many of them work on the Legacy as well. There have been a number of problems with various 2.5T builds but WRXs with well over 100,000 miles on them are commonplace. That said, the first engine in my WRX lasted 154 miles.....

The 3.0R has a flat torque curve, runs regular happily, has 7500 mi oil changes, and gets about the same mpg. It appears to be as bulletproof as the old 2.2l boxer: there are plenty with well over 100,000 miles on them with just about zero problems. The biggest problem they've had was an idler pulley problem on the 2001's, easily remedied.

From 0 to at least 60, the 5EAT Legacy GT and 5EAT 3.0R are about as even as two cars can get: a coworker has a 2005 LGT and we've swapped cars numerous times. We do not get the 3.0R SpecB with 6spd manual sold in Europe and Australia.

I ran my 3.0R on a dyno but apparently no one has ever run a stock 5EAT 2.5T on a dyno so no one really knows how they deliver power. There are LGT fanbois here who make the 15 ft lbs of peak torque of the 2.5T into a performance mountain: but some of these same folks dismiss the additional 15 ft lbs of peak torque of the lighter WRX as a performance molehill.

By all means drive them first, but the 3.0R is a great engine. Very good over-the-road performance even if 0-60 is lackluster. Good for towing, too.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/429435977_2L6R6-M.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Because you just compared a stock 300hp vq engine which are already known for weaker trq numbers and a bad powerband to a obviously modded gsx if its making 350hp that is. A gsx making 350hp is making 350trq if not more and a stock 300hp 350z makes 270trq, thats atleast an 80trq difference which is very noticable and you would obviously feel a stronger pull in the gsx, not to mention the gsx is a 3000-3100lbs car and the 350z track edition is 3400lbs. But a N/A car making the same hp and 350trq compared to a turbo car making 350trq and both weighing the same would feel simular once the turbo is spooled.

Comparing the feel of the 3.0r to the 2.5 turbo is dumb too, the 3.0r may make the same hp but its lacks in peak trq which is why the turbo feels soo much stronger.

When my T/A and Supra were both making around 350whp and 360wtrq and both weighed about 3600lbs i did alot alot of testing between the two cars and on a roll they were pretty much identical

if you're getting an automatic transmission, the stutter issue that is MOST prevalent on this site will not affect you. seems to only be a MT issue (the one that stutters while you're climbing through RPMs in the 2k-4k range). if any AT's out there see otherwise please let me know.

so that stutter shouldn't have an effect on your purchase IF you are getting an automatic transmission.

as someone said...go drive both. get on them both when you're driving them, also drive them slow. drive it in any way possible to get a feel for how each car reacts to your inputs.

Mine is an auto and had the stuttering issue. Stage 1 reflash cured it.

Looks like a racing boat ....

What kind of MPG do you get with the 3.0?

I log all fuel use for the OB 3.0R and the WRX. Living in the city and commuting out, I never get very good mpg compared to all highway use.

The long-term average through 40,000 for the OB 3.0R is 20.9 mpg. The average for the WRX for the first 6,000 miles is 22.2. Obviously apples-to-oranges since the WRX is newer, lighter, manual, and burning 93 octane. But it's a data point.

I did several tests back-to-back with the 3.0R and there was no mpg difference for premium fuel versus regular.

Towing a 3,000 lb boat trailer at 70mph, the OB 3.0R gets 13.5mpg, which oddly enough is exactly what I get when I tow it with a Chevy cargo van with a V8.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Nope never driven the 3.0, why would I its an average run of the mill no thrills engine. As far as im concerned if you want a nice n/a 6 why not just go for a g35,37x. The engine is just not competative in the market place when you have all kinds of higher displacement I-6s. Oil consupmtion? I have no problem swapping out oil every 5,000 miles why would I let that be the deciding factor. Most of us dont tow yacths and anybody who does probly has a compotent method that doesnt involve an outback.
I own two Honda V6's, one Nissan 3.5L V6, and the 3.0R.

You are talking out of your fourth point of contact. Now go put on your fanboi tshirt and run along.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Nope never driven the 3.0, why would I its an average run of the mill no thrills engine. As far as im concerned if you want a nice n/a 6 why not just go for a g35,37x. The engine is just not competative in the market place when you have all kinds of higher displacement I-6s. Oil consupmtion? I have no problem swapping out oil every 5,000 miles why would I let that be the deciding factor. Most of us dont tow yacths and anybody who does probly has a compotent method that doesnt involve an outback.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you like buyers remorse because if you do then you will love the 3.0, and if you really like it then wait a couple months when you change your mind about modding and realize you have no options. If that doesnt convince you then maybe this will help. The subaru 2.5 liter turbo was rated as the international engine of the year in its size class 1 or 2 years ago. The winner for the 3.0 class was the bmw twin turbo I-6.

Yup. Been there done that. Bought an 08 3.0R and ended up trading it in on the SpecB.

Before that we had an 05 GT m/t and thought we wanted to go to an AT. After driving the 3.0 for several months it was nice, but the car just had no character. It was just too smooth and the AT was bugging me.

Very happy now.

BTW it's "Engine of the Year," for 2006 and 2009. But I'll bet $10 you and some of the other people posting in this thread have never even driven a 2005+ 3.0R. Or a 5EAT 2.5T, for that matter.

I have driven them all. My personal issue with 3L and 2.5T 5eat is the transmission. Bleech, Subaru cannot make a great automatic but thankfully I like driving manual transmissions.

That being said I still think the poster should drive them all for an extended test drive and see what they like.

I have driven them all. My personal issue with 3L and 2.5T 5eat is the transmission. Bleech, Subaru cannot make a great automatic but thankfully I like driving manual transmissions.

That being said I still think the poster should drive them all for an extended test drive and see what they like.

Who does make a great AWD auto tranny that has proven itself? I think subaru does a good job

ha, I wish I could still drive stick. I suffered a bad knee injury and driving stick just irritates it, so I have to go auto; it is a shame b/c stick is soo much more fun and responsive
You can drive almost any autocross course entirely in 2nd and just about any twisty road in 3rd.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xAIIuE12I]YouTube - Subaru Outback Wagon Autocross[/ame]

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Wow I would be running laps around you in my spec b. That thing has more body roll than my 06 expidition had. Dude it took you like 4.5 seconds to get out of 1st gear. This is nothing but a commercial for NOT getting a 3.0 lol. Really man 2 honda accords? Why would you even want one?

how many times do we have to go over this... spec b ≠ 3.0 ≠ 2.5i, etc etc... different cars for different purposes and people..... if we all needed the same things there would only be one car to choose from!!!!!

you picked the spec, i picked the 3.0 because we picked what was good for us.

Archived