LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

That trans was designed to handle the torque of the Subaru 2.0TD so it's pretty stout, internally, despite it still being a split-case setup.

Shift mechanism sits on top of the transmission so shifter and clearance may be an issue. Driveshaft may also be an issue - The 4.444 FDR is designed to best work with the very large Outback tires. Smaller "GT" tires would change the ratio dramatically.

Yes, but it's basically the old 5MT with six gears squeezed in there. Remember how that idea worked out on the old Evo MR? Add to that the issue that the little 6MT is cable-shifted (ugh). I know for sure the old rod-style 6MT shift linkage does not fit a BR/BM chassis, so no way this cable-shift (ugh) mechanism will plug and play in a 4th gen.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yeah - the cable shifting was one thing I could not get used to, despite there being a nice turbo at the header solution up front. No amount of "improved" power delivery could make up for the fact that the transmission was pure crapola.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Finally, I'm in the club! Used recipe B:

2012 STI 6 speed

STI R180 rear diff

LGT front axles

spec B rear axles

LGT 4EAT drive shaft

Everything was a straight forward bolt-on, except the rear differential's input yoke had to be swapped. I'm loving the new setup, the differentials make a big difference. Now I need to figure out how to wire up the mapdccd controller.

Did you also swap out the neutral safety switch?

I did swap out the nss and clutch slave cylinder.I found my swap parts at a local junk yard. They came off a 2012 sti with only 26000km. I paid 3300cad for transmission (complete with slave cylinder, clutch assembly, shift linkage, and mount), differential, and legacy 4eat drive shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a new and easy recipe for those looking to use a 2004 or older 6sp trans with male axle stubs coming out of the transmission. If you dismantle the LGT front axles and swap the inboard male CV joint with one from a 2002 WRX front CV axle, you now have a hybrid axle with the female inboard cup you need to connect to your pre-2005 STi 6sp. You have to take the entire inboard CV cup setup though including cup, star & bearings. If you remove the c-clip retainer, the 3-pointed star slides right off and the splining is identical to the LGT.

I discovered this the hard way tonight when I got half way through getting my MY2000 V7 STi 6sp ready to put into my 2005 LGT Ltd Wagon. I had swapped over the NSS and the reverse switch and the O2 sensor extension. Then I started working on the sundials and oil seals expecting to use my LGT front axles. I installed the new sundial with new oil seal and moved over to the right side only to find that the sundial on the right side of my V7 6sp is about an inch and a half smaller in diameter than the left one. I guess on the newer 6sp's both the left and right are identical.... not on a V7. :-(

After hitting this roadblock, I looked for alternative solutions and came up with the hybrid CV axle and to my amazement, it worked! So, now I'm going to put my male axle stub back in the left side of my V7 6sp and put the old sundial back on and just run the hybrid axles.

If anyone needs conversion parts, let me know. I now have a set of sundials with new oil seals up for sale!

Edited by Soarer

^ yeah, but then you have to buy about $150 in parts from Subaru (sundials & oil seals) and you have to relash your front diff because you removed the sundials which is a PITA.

Building hybrid cv axles is easier and cheaper. A set of used wrx axles can be easily found for $50. I haven't seen anyone else write about this option in this thread.

I am about to pick up a 06 STi Tranny but here is my issues.

The center diff is toast and I'll have to get a replacement. I don't care about DCCD so I am looking at getting a Spec B viscous center LSD. How much do those run?

Also I am wanting to keep it easy with an R160 rear and source a WRX 3.54 FD Dif and keep my rear axels. Will getting a Spec B center diff affect this and what are my driveshaft options? Is there anything else I would need to complete the swap? I understand I'm going to get a 6speed clutch and flywheel.

Thanks guys

Have you priced-out the expense of sourcing the Spec B center diff, and installing it, vs. just buying a good STI box. $400.00 for a new Spec B center differential plus labor and materials. FD on your STI box is 3.9 - same as with the Spec B.

So, all else equal, the 2006 STi Tranny has a 1.1:1 Center Dif, meaning the front differential final drive is 3.90 - Same as the Spec B - so the WRX rear 3.54:1 R160 differential should match-up "ratio-wise" with the STI box using the Spec B Center Diff.

FWIW, the 06 STI box's DCCD uses a revised mechanical limited slip DCCD for the first 30% of lockup, and the electrical clutch assumes the remaining 70%. This is supposed to make better use of the new CD's torque-vectoring capability. But it also costs $2500.00

Have you priced-out the expense of sourcing the Spec B center diff, and installing it, vs. just buying a good STI box. $400.00 for a new Spec B center differential plus labor and materials. FD on your STI box is 3.9 - same as with the Spec B.

So, all else equal, the 2006 STi Tranny has a 1.1:1 Center Dif, meaning the front differential final drive is 3.90 - Same as the Spec B - so the WRX rear 3.54:1 R160 differential should match-up "ratio-wise" with the STI box using the Spec B Center Diff.

FWIW, the 06 STI box's DCCD uses a revised mechanical limited slip DCCD for the first 30% of lockup, and the electrical clutch assumes the remaining 70%. This is supposed to make better use of the new CD's torque-vectoring capability. But it also costs $2500.00

Good info and thanks for Help, idea for the driveshaft I can use? Sedan 5eat?

Complete gear shift lever P/N is 35011FG000 for the STI and 35011AG050 for the Spec B. The two look different in these two drawings:

STI - Item # 19

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/371495035002.png

Spec B - Item # 11

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366495135002.png

Cable Assembly - Shift P/N is 35060FG000 for the STI and 35060AG010 for the Spec B.

IIRC, the shift lever is only different because of the way the boot connects (part #19). They're mechanically interchangeable. I have an email from Cobb somewhere on that. I have a 2010 STI 6MT and a Cobb STS, but I kept my LGT surround & boot. I had to rig the boot connection to mate up with the shifter.
Tits mcgee

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...