LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Just curious... has anyone put an STi or Spec B (ie, 'real' 6MT) into a 5th gen Legacy?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you mean converting a non-DCCD 6MT to DCCD?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Not totally sure how to answer that, I have an 04 JDM STI tranny in my legacy GT right now. I have a DCCDPro that I want to install. I'm running no DCCD now, so it's constantly in the default 65/35 torque split.

Well, some 6MTs have DCCD and some don't. Meaning, some have the electrically-operated clutch system in that tail-housing and some just have a viscous coupling like the 5MT units. If it's the former you just need to follow the instructions in the DCCDPro manual, which is pretty simple. If it's the latter you need to swap in the DCCD unit and the complete tail housing as well. It would help if you posted your transmission code, TY856*****, which should be pasted on the bellhousing.

Is there a write up somewhere on how to install a DCCD, maybe on a legacy GT in particular?
Was getting ready to ask the exact same question, thx kred.

2004 USDM STi 6MT has DCCD. Not sure about JDM, but I would assume it does.
I have the USDM 2004 STI box.

Reason for me to install, I get a slight popping/bind from the trans when taking off from a stop with the wheels turned ( leaving a driveway, entering the street, in a parking lot, etc ). Initially thought it was the front diff ( PO did not update sundials and it ran about 2qts low for a long time due to leaks ) but after talking to those familiar with DCCD I suspect the non-controlled lock position of 35/65 may be the root cause.

Thanks for any info on this, worst case I/we may have to lead the way. May go the manual controller route first altho the "intelligent" models look pretty slick.

2004 USDM STi 6MT has DCCD. Not sure about JDM, but I would assume it does.

Some do, some don't. The list says Spec C had DCCD and base model did not.

What fahr_side said. The 04 JDM STI [standard, not Spec C] has a viscous center diff and an Open front diff. Tranny Code TY856WB4AA.

The 04 JDM STI Spec C has a DCCD and AP Suretrac front LSD. Tranny Code:TY856WB4JA.

So basically look at your tranny code, the standard ends in AA, the spec C in JA.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Was getting ready to ask the exact same question, thx kred.

I have the USDM 2004 STI box.

Reason for me to install, I get a slight popping/bind from the trans when taking off from a stop with the wheels turned ( leaving a driveway, entering the street, in a parking lot, etc ). Initially thought it was the front diff ( PO did not update sundials and it ran about 2qts low for a long time due to leaks ) but after talking to those familiar with DCCD I suspect the non-controlled lock position of 35/65 may be the root cause.

Thanks for any info on this, worst case I/we may have to lead the way. May go the manual controller route first altho the "intelligent" models look pretty slick.

You have an AP Suretrac front diff as oem. All LSDs cause your symptom to some extent. Your Suretrac may also be worn out, especially if you ran it low on fluid. They are known to wear out even with good maintenance. I doubt your DCCD is causing the problem since yours defaults to 35/65 anyway. The DCCD shifts between 35/65 and 50/50, so at 50/50 your symptom should be worse, not better.

Personally I would change the tranny fluid and inspect it. If there's metal in the fluid you have a rebuild to do. If the fluid is clean I'd live with it. You can even send a sample of the tranny fluid to Blackstone for an analysis.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

My 04 JDM STI tranny is leaking too. My brother says it needs new axle seals. Page 1 of this thread says some 04 trannys need extra parts to work. Can anyone tell me for sure what I need to stop my leak?

Following JDM Models run a viscous center differential: (Note the front diff type for each)

MY01-02 JDM Impreza WRX STi MY01-02 (also Prodrive Style & STi Limited MY02)

Trans Code: TY856WB1AA

Front Diff: Open

MY02 JDM IMPREZA WRX STI RA Spec-C

Trans Code: TY856WB2GA

Front Diff: A.P. Suretrac

MY03 JDM Impreza WRX STi,

Trans Code: TY856WB3AA

MY04 JDM Impreza WRX STi MY04 + V-Limited

Trans Code: TY856WB4AA

MY05 JDM Impreza WRX STi

Trans code: TY856WB6CA

There may be other models that also run a viscous CD, but those are the ones that I know of.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

You have an AP Suretrac front diff as oem. All LSDs cause your symptom to some extent. Your Suretrac may also be worn out, especially if you ran it low on fluid. They are known to wear out even with good maintenance. I doubt your DCCD is causing the problem since yours defaults to 35/65 anyway. The DCCD shifts between 35/65 and 50/50, so at 50/50 your symptom should be worse, not better.

Personally I would change the tranny fluid and inspect it. If there's metal in the fluid you have a rebuild to do. If the fluid is clean I'd live with it. You can even send a sample of the tranny fluid to Blackstone for an analysis.

Yes, IF he has the DCCD trans then he SHOULD have the Suretrac front diff. These are smooth compared to a plated diff but not as transparent as the helical units. I've never tried the Suretrac in the front but I have one in back and it does bind a little in tight turns with power on.

The DCCD defaults to open condition with no electrical power to energize the solenoid. Open = no binding at all.

If OP has the viscous trans then all bets are off.

My 04 JDM STI tranny is leaking too. My brother says it needs new axle seals. Page 1 of this thread says some 04 trannys need extra parts to work. Can anyone tell me for sure what I need to stop my leak?

Anyone...please?? I'm really confused on knowing what I need, but I know someone has been here. I bought new axle seals. Do I need sundials or something else? Tranny code TY856WB4KA

From the trans number you should have both a Suretrac in front and DCCD. Makes sense you may have a little binding from the front diff at full lock with a bit of power on. DCCDPro install should go just as the manual says, but it won't fix the binding. You need to tap one wire at the ECU from the TPS sensor (it's in the manual which plug it is on, and which color), and one wire at the handbrake switch.

From the trans number you should have both a Suretrac in front and DCCD. Makes sense you may have a little binding from the front diff at full lock with a bit of power on. DCCDPro install should go just as the manual says, but it won't fix the binding. You need to tap one wire at the ECU from the TPS sensor (it's in the manual which plug it is on, and which color), and one wire at the handbrake switch.

Yea, but I'm leaking lots of gear oil, from the front axles and rear diff-drive shaft connection. Aren't I missing something?

Anyone...please?? I'm really confused on knowing what I need, but I know someone has been here. I bought new axle seals. Do I need sundials or something else? Tranny code TY856WB4KA

Do you have male or female axles? IOW, do you have stubs that stick out of the front differential that the female axles go over, or do you have male axles that just insert into the front differential?

If you have the former, and want to convert to the latter, then you will need new sundials and seals, if the latter, then you just need new seals.

And that trans is a 2004 JDM Spec C trans, so I suspect axle stubs, but it could be the later, non-stubbed 2004 as well. That's the determinant.

If it was a "stubbed" transmission, then you need the non-stubbed sundials and the seals that go with those. The male axles are different sized than the stubs and therefore they require a different seal. The different seal needs the revised sundials to fit. I'll find the link and post it.

Edit: Here's the discussion link: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4662163&postcount=1715

Edited by SBT
Added link

Thanks for that link, I may need those. But if I got this tranny locally off a guy who had it in his USDM bugeye wrx, could he already have gotten these in the tranny and I don't know it?