LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

FWIW, I'm using all original 5MT parts (except the shifter, obviously) and a Redline 5MT boot & all is well.

I did that for a while, then bought the spec B piece and sold my old one on the forum.

Difference wasn't too much and too me worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm looking at doingng a swap deal on a spec b trans. Does this package include everything I need?

Legacy Spec B Transmission

Non DCCD Tranny (no need for a diff controller)

Cusco Tarmac Center Diff

Stock or Carbonetic 1 way front Diff

Factory Shifter and Mounts

R180 Rear End

STI Axles

STI Spindles

He says he has the necessary gear to mount the trans. But what axles/driveshaft do I need to use the r180 rear? From my understanding the sti axles won't work.

So I'm looking at doingng a swap deal on a spec b trans. Does this package include everything I need?

Cusco Tarmac Center Diff

R180 Rear End

STI Axles

STI Spindles

He says he has the necessary gear to mount the trans. But what axles/driveshaft do I need to use the r180 rear? From my understanding the sti axles won't work.

All "?" is answered in 1st post.

Please read.

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• Moderators

Cusco Tarmac Center Diff

R180 Rear End

STI Axles

STI Spindles

No need for the Sti axles/spindles. Get stock spec.b rear axles instead. You're also missing a drive shaft. Gonna need one of those.

And definitely check the first post and all information referenced there.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

The 6 speed Neutral Safety Switch has a reverse polarity to the 5 speed switch for some reason. It is a matter of the "ECU" obtaining the correct data from the switch so I guess it is more of a 5mt vs. 6mt thing. You DO want to change it out while the transmission it out of the car. I didn't swap mine out when I did my 6 speed, and had to do it with the transmission in the car. It was not a bunch of fun since the NSS is on the TOP of the 6 speed.
Bit of a side note to this.

The 06+ LGT changed to the "reverse polarity" NSS like in the STI. I found that if you forgot to swap the switch out use a 2006 ECU ROM instead of the 2005 *522 map.

Also eliminates the possible need to shim the NSS when cruise control drops out, supposedly changes the sample time/rate of the NSS when the signal is noisy.

Barman, scooby and others, did you guys swap in the SpecB or the sti tranny? I'm looking for a transplant into a 2006 XT and am on stock turbo and 15psi. Not worried about more power, just mpg and cruising comfort. Would you guys go as low at the SpecB FDR if you were me?

Also, is there a full list of needed parts for an XT outback swap, or is it all the same as on the 1st page?

• Moderators
Barman, scooby and others, did you guys swap in the SpecB or the sti tranny? I'm looking for a transplant into a 2006 XT and am on stock turbo and 15psi. Not worried about more power, just mpg and cruising comfort. Would you guys go as low at the SpecB FDR if you were me?

Also, is there a full list of needed parts for an XT outback swap, or is it all the same as on the 1st page?

You can do either transmission--just look at the "recipes" in the first post. MPG factor is pretty much a non-issue, although I'm sure it helps a bit. Cruising comfort is drastically improved, especially since you have an OBXT. I find that my spec.b 6mt is much quieter at cruising speeds even with a bunch of aftermarket bushings (plus it cruises at about 500RPMs less on the highway).

You're going to have a tough time finding an actual spec.b transmission, honestly. More realistic to source an STi trans, and if you really want you can have spec.b 5th/6th gears installed. Also decide if you really want/need a front LSD or DCCD (STi options). I would love to have both of those, but the deal I got on a spec.b transmission was too good and it really does everything I want it to do.

your going to do a 6 K $ swap to save 1 mpg ?

Why do you post here? :lol:

You can do either transmission--just look at the "recipes" in the first post. MPG factor is pretty much a non-issue, although I'm sure it helps a bit. Cruising comfort is drastically improved, especially since you have an OBXT. I find that my spec.b 6mt is much quieter at cruising speeds even with a bunch of aftermarket bushings (plus it cruises at about 500RPMs less on the highway).

You're going to have a tough time finding an actual spec.b transmission, honestly. More realistic to source an STi trans, and if you really want you can have spec.b 5th/6th gears installed. Also decide if you really want/need a front LSD or DCCD (STi options). I would love to have both of those, but the deal I got on a spec.b transmission was too good and it really does everything I want it to do.

Why do you post here? :lol:

Thanks for the reply. I did read the specB will be hard to source used.

I think my transfer bearings are making noises and with 150kmi on the drivetrain, I'm assuming I'm due at some point.

I don't have to have the lsd front or the dccd. I like the turbo, and the wagon aspect, but honestly it is a glorified commuter and vacation wagon.

And Frankster, if it is going to cost 6k, i'm just putting in a replacement 5sp and call it done.

I get 27mpg on cruise now, and just wanted the most i could get. also, at ~3krpm for 70mph is a little high for my taste.

• Moderators

Yeah, $6k is probably on the high end--it can certainly be done cheaper though. My whole swap including labor and a new clutch / fly wheel (stock STi stuff) weighed in at around $3150, give or take after selling my stock 5mt transmission.

From the sound of it, I think you would get a lot of bang for your buck just from swapping in a stock LGT 5mt transmission--would help to make the car a bit more of a cruiser with the change in FDR.

Thanks for the reply. I did read the specB will be hard to source used.

I think my transfer bearings are making noises and with 150kmi on the drivetrain, I'm assuming I'm due at some point.

I don't have to have the lsd front or the dccd. I like the turbo, and the wagon aspect, but honestly it is a glorified commuter and vacation wagon.

And Frankster, if it is going to cost 6k, i'm just putting in a replacement 5sp and call it done.

I get 27mpg on cruise now, and just wanted the most i could get. also, at ~3krpm for 70mph is a little high for my taste.

if you change to lgt tranny and diff you will get that rpm difference !

but the bearing that usually goes bad is a piece of cake to change. don't even have to remove the tranny.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

if you change to lgt tranny and diff you will get that rpm difference !

but the bearing that usually goes bad is a piece of cake to change. don't even have to remove the tranny.

That's a good reminder on the LGT parts, I'll keep that in mind. I don't 'need' the 6sp.

I did read thru the bearing repair, and true it is 4-6hrs for me to do and maybe $600 in parts and lift time. It is the 150kmi on everything else that doesn't sit well. I'm new to subbies, so still learning how long things run. It seems I'm lucky to have made it to 150k on those bearings.

Yeah, $6k is probably on the high end--it can certainly be done cheaper though. My whole swap including labor and a new clutch / fly wheel (stock STi stuff) weighed in at around $3150, give or take after selling my stock 5mt transmission.

From the sound of it, I think you would get a lot of bang for your buck just from swapping in a stock LGT 5mt transmission--would help to make the car a bit more of a cruiser with the change in FDR.

Wow, you did score a heck of a deal. Nice!

The ease of LGT and rear diff is certainly appealing. Hmmm.

I've sourced a used 07 sti tranny, shift linkage and diff for $3100 within 300mi of me. I haven't put together a shopping list yet, so who knows how much more that adds up.

That's a good reminder on the LGT parts, I'll keep that in mind. I don't 'need' the 6sp.

I did read thru the bearing repair, and true it is 4-6hrs for me to do and maybe $600 in parts and lift time. It is the 150kmi on everything else that doesn't sit well. I'm new to subbies, so still learning how long things run. It seems I'm lucky to have made it to 150k on those bearings.

150 k is nothing for drive train.

its more the turbo and engine if the oil changes are funky and or some body decided to put thicker oil in it.

and 600$ in parts for the bearing ? its like a 30$ bearing ..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

150 k is nothing for drive train.

its more the turbo and engine if the oil changes are funky and or some body decided to put thicker oil in it.

and 600$ in parts for the bearing ? its like a 30$ bearing ..

excuse my ignorance. I thought there are 4 bearings, and most people sight ~$160 for the kit. Add fluids and lift time ($30/hr). Just a ballpark at $600. I didn't want to underestimate.

I have a 2009 LGT with a 2010 STi trans. I simply used the NSS/reverse switch/harness from my original 5MT.
Right, I should have been more clear on the MY of the Legacy. 2005 model LGT had a "reverse polarity" on the NSS sensor compared to 06+ models.

When swapping in ANY STI tranny to a 2005 LGT you HAVE to install the LGT sensor from the 5MT else cruise control would not work ( wouldn't Set in gear ). If you were not aware or forgot the NSS on a 6MT is at the top of the trans body and impossible to access w/o dropping the tranny down at least a few inches.

My workaround is for those who didn't or forgot to swap the sensor prior to sinking the trans, upload an LGT ROM from a 2006 MY vehicle.

My workaround is for those who didn't or forgot to swap the sensor prior to sinking the trans, upload an LGT ROM from a 2006 MY vehicle.

That doesn't sound like it would work. In fact, I'd bet my car it wouldn't work on my car. But if I proved it, no one would want my car anyway.

There may be a parameter that can be changed... but upload a whole ROM? No.

Tits mcgee

or use a relay some where

Won't work.

Wow, that's pretty ballsy. I'd never thought about trying that worrying I'd brick the ECU...