LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Well, everything is in the car, except I'm still wiring up the DCCDPro, but hardware-wise it's all put back together. Now I'm having the fabled clutch bleeding issue. I can't seem to get enough pressure in my system? After bleeding 10 or 15 times, gravity and pressure bleeding, I still can only get the slave to actuate the clutch fork for maybe half of the travel that it needs to, pedal travel is full, never sticks. I have a brand new slave and master cylinders, and a SS clutch line. Anyone have any tricks or tips that I may have missed to get this up and running?

I had this same problem recently. Try reverse bleeding it by bleeding out of the slave cylinder, but by pushing in the slave cylinder instead of the clutch pedal. That solved it for me after a dozen traditional bleeds.

I think since the bleeder isn't the high-point in the system, that's why reverse bleeding may help.

I didn't bench bleed the master. I really should have I think. I tried reverse bleeding a few times and no success. I am going to try a few things with a mityvac right now, and we'll see what happens. I also am going to try drawing a vacuum into the master cylinder res, pump the clutch pedal(which apparently will go dead) and then release the vacuum and see if that helps. A local shop owner here in slc, ut told me to try that. If that doesn't I will be bench bleeding the entire hydraulic system after that.

Just wanted to say thanks to the original guys who first started doing the 6MT swap and contributing to the thread. I'm breaking in the new engine and rebuilt trans and so far am very pleased. I have tested the handling of the car a little bit and it's pretty sweet feeling the LSDs go to work. The MapDCCD controller is functioning nicely also. I've just been running it in auto so far but will customize some preset maps soon.

• Moderators
@BMB - If you can swing-it, do it. One of the primary reasons for upgrading to the 6MT IMO, and why it'll start with an STI box.

I sent Andrewtech a message to see what it would involve. Honestly I don't know if anyone has added an LSD to a spec.b gear box...? Anyone know? I know of a few that have dropped spec.b gears (5/6) into an STI trans, but not the other way around.

What would the options even be for sourcing an LSD? Just a stock subaru unit?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Any of the STI front LSDs will work. Any of the STI variants will work - following is for 07+ STIs. P/N: 38410AA100. Make sure you get the roller bearings (2x) that go with it. P/N: 806340080
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators
Any of the STI front LSDs will work. Any of the STI variants will work - following is for 07+ STIs. P/N: 38410AA100. Make sure you get the roller bearings (2x) that go with it. P/N: 806340080

Thanks! Interesting thread that pops up with that part number: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2383911&highlight=38410aa100

Says it wouldn't fit in an '08 spec.b--isn't that Drew from the boards here as well?

I'd forgotten that the Spec B does have a 12-bolt Ring in the hypoid gearset, and I should have given you the P/N: 38410AA060 which is the 04 STI (AP SureTrac) version. Better center diff IMO than the 05+ Torsen variety. Roller bearings for that model are the 806340060 which are the same ones as the Spec B front diff. I'd replace them anyway if putting in a new diff. Yes, that's our Drew888
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Moderators
I'd forgotten that the Spec B does have a 12-bolt Ring in the hypoid gearset, and I should have given you the P/N: 38410AA060 which is the 04 STI (AP SureTrac) version. Better center diff IMO than the 05+ Torsen variety. Roller bearings for that model are the 806340060 which are the same ones as the Spec B front diff. I'd replace them anyway if putting in a new diff. Yes, that's our Drew888

You must be on some pain meds for the shoulder, you're slippin! ;)

• Moderators
I haven't contemplated the DCCD controller yet on my STi tranny. Maybe next year. Maybe never.

Excellent. So that's a 'whenever' addition that can be done later. That's a plus. Would probably see if Andrewtech could do some of the wiring if possible so that it's accessible if ever needed. I dunno.

Still waiting to hear back what the install cost would be for the LSD anyway, probably through the roof :lol:

• Moderators
If you have a STi 6 speed yes you can add the DCCD Pro just by wiring it in, but the spec.B 6 speed does not have the diff in the transmission, you would need to install the one SBT posted.

Yeah, I get that part. DCCD doesn't come into play at all unless an LSD is added, and then it seems to be optional as to whether to add the DCCD or not--although obviously doing so would have some benefits and provided added manual control for the diff.

• Moderators
I'm confused. Didn't SBT link to a front LSD? Isn't the DCCD for the center diff? How do the two relate?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Color me uneducated on this. That's why I have all the questions :redface: