LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

KC did you ever swap over the sensors? The 6MT swap I got from Zorro doesn't have the NSS wired up and CC won't engage.

I ended up swapping the NSS from my 5 speed into the 6 speed. I left the reverse harness intact on the 6 speed. Everything works fine.

• Moderators

Don't know of a driveshaft shop around here really--and if andrewtech doesn't have someone for that, then I dunno.

Assuming the 4eat shaft works, I'll save the spec.b one and see if I can't get it repaired or if someone else doesn't want to tackle that for their own swap.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Andrewtech may have found one--05 Legacy 2.5i 4eat shaft...I haven't done a ton of research into this since I thought I had a spec.b shaft in the trunk, but that should work correct?

That drive shaft will work just fine. They look the same sitting side by side BTW.

• Moderators
That drive shaft will work just fine. They look the same sitting side by side BTW.

Sweet :) This is why I wanted Andrewtech to do the shop--they'll spot things that my dumbass would miss.

Already contacted the guy I bought the swap from and it seems like he'll cover the cost of the replacement which is nice.

• Moderators
Doesn't the 2.5I 4EAT DS have to have the yoke changed to accept the R180 diff flange.

For the STi R180, yes. My understanding is that the spec.b R180s already have a different flange...? Even if they don't, Andrewtech should be able to use the busted spec.b driveshaft to modify the 4EAT driveshaft, yes?

Edit: I guess the yoke is on the diff, not the driveshaft? Even so, they'll have my stock diff also.

Edited by BarManBean

For the STi R180, yes. My understanding is that the spec.b R180s already have a different YOKE..? Even if they don't, Andrewtech should be able to use the busted spec.b driveshaft to modify the 4EAT driveshaft, yes?

Edit: I guess the yoke is on the diff, not the driveshaft? Even so, they'll have my stock diff also.

Correct^

I used a 4EAT driveshaft in my swap. Put my R160 Yoke on the R180 and bolted the shaft right up.

Make sure you are using the R180 Cradle for the rear diff

for anyone doing an EARLY 04 sti trans, (stubbed axles). mine has always leaked, after further research, not only do you have to remove the stubs, you also have to replace the "sundial" or differential retainer on the sides of the transmission for our male style axles to fit properly.

Sundials (retainer differential) 38342AA161 (2) dealer claims same l/r

O-rings 806900150 (2) may not be required but ordered to determine.

Numbers above for a 2005 STi. Local dealer claims sundial part numbers are the same for '02 through '07 model years.

Having the above part numbers should allow a "pinned" '04 US STi to be converted to non-"pinned" and direct fit a STI or LGT front axle. The stub shafts will require removal from the "pinned" transmission's differential. Be sure to review the appropriate Service Manual for installation and adjustment procedures.

Zorro did you ever change these out? As noted both sides were leaking, I changed the seals but DS still has some drips.

The 'dials were the type that requires removal to change seals ( installs from the inside ) due to the outer lip/rim for seal position. It appears the inside-type keeps the seal from making good contact with the male style axles ( just barely makes the sealing surface, est 10mm or so ). Heading to the dealership with part #'s above.

Last on the NSS issue, the sensor is disconnected ( in fact wires/connector are ripped out of the harness ). Cruise control won't engage but only throws a Pending Code when trying to engage. Will source a 5MT switch and harness then report back.

Update on part #'s and info on Left/Front diff retainer ( Sundials ):

Trans Production Date Part Number

200210 - 200306 6MT 38342AA110

200306 - 200308 6MT 38342AA170

200309 - 200403 6MT 38342AA160

200401 - 200505 6MT 38342AA160

200504 - 200512 6MT 38342AA160

200601 - 200606 6MT 38342AA161

200606 - 200706 6MT 38342AA161

This also jives with a conversation about 6MT trannies using Stub Shaft vs Male Axles. Most 2004 USDM STI has stubs however he's seen 2005 US MY cars with stubs.

I ordered the *161 plate as Zorro listed, hopefully when it comes it has the open seal retainer design. Cost $66, worst case the current one is pretty chewed up.

^ Agreed!

i can also confirm the NSS. I swapped mine off the broken 5-speed @ install and have never had an issue.

Another Q Zorro, can you confirm the 5MT NSS went into the trans? I get a NSS code when trying to use cruise control and there are two wires hanging down the side/rear of the tranny ( assume they are NSS as the reverse lights work properly ).

Thanks for any confirmation.

Update on part #'s and info on Left/Front diff retainer ( Sundials ):

Trans Production Date Part Number

200210 - 200306 6MT 38342AA110

200306 - 200308 6MT 38342AA170

200309 - 200403 6MT 38342AA160

200401 - 200505 6MT 38342AA160

200504 - 200512 6MT 38342AA160

200601 - 200606 6MT 38342AA161

200606 - 200706 6MT 38342AA161

This also jives with a conversation about 6MT trannies using Stub Shaft vs Male Axles. Most 2004 USDM STI has stubs however he's seen 2005 US MY cars with stubs.

I ordered the *161 plate as Zorro listed, hopefully when it comes it has the open seal retainer design. Cost $66, worst case the current one is pretty chewed up.

Update to my query, Nabisco to the rescue! Link here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1097352

See the last page for pics of the delta. Here is the other reason I wanted to switch, notice the difference in stub vs male axle seal mating surface:

1057692721_6MTstubaxleconversionissue.thumb.jpg.833564c661503fa79b16f9dd7b37c543.jpg

• Moderators

My swap is done! Everything went pretty well aside from a driveshaft that was bad (was replaced with another piece) and a bent shifter linkage piece that was bent back to shape as needed.

I need a new shifter surround--anyone have a part number for that? My 5mt surround isn't quite right and the one that came with my 6mt parts is pretty much trashed...

My swap is done! Everything went pretty well aside from a driveshaft that was bad (was replaced with another piece) and a bent shifter linkage piece that was bent back to shape as needed.

I need a new shifter surround--anyone have a part number for that? My 5mt surround isn't quite right and the one that came with my 6mt parts is pretty much trashed...

Subaru Spec B shifter bezel

92121AG10B

Only thing is boot is pleather. I just purchased a redline boot to replace the pleather one and its nice.

• Moderators
Subaru Spec B shifter bezel

92121AG10B

Only thing is boot is pleather. I just purchased a redline boot to replace the pleather one and its nice.

Thanks!

The bezel? Really? I used my original... which is good, because I'd dyed it a custom color. Is the OB bezel different?

I reused my 5MT Redline boot. :wub:

I dunno, I feel like I read at one point that the spec.b bezel has a bit larger opening or something like that--I also feel like I've seen the price of the part before and it wasn't that expensive--maybe I'm mistaken though. If it's a bunch of money I'll reuse the 5mt one.

Either way the spec.b boot that I have has seen better days, so has my ebrake boot. Planning to replace both with some redline goodness :)

EDIT: I just checked the price of that piece and it's ~$150 :lol: I guess I'll reuse my 5mt piece and order up a 5mt boot!

EDIT AGAIN: actually it looks like just the trim is about $55...still, will probably reuse I guess.

Edited by BarManBean

Barman - If you order a shift boot from redline - they can make one that fits the 5 speed bezel but has the Velcro and larger opening for the 6 speed shifter. That is what I did with mine. I can send a pic if you want to see what it looks like.

Shawn

Thanks!

I dunno, I feel like I read at one point that the spec.b bezel has a bit larger opening or something like that--I also feel like I've seen the price of the part before and it wasn't that expensive--maybe I'm mistaken though. If it's a bunch of money I'll reuse the 5mt one.

Either way the spec.b boot that I have has seen better days, so has my ebrake boot. Planning to replace both with some redline goodness :)

EDIT: I just checked the price of that piece and it's ~$150 :lol: I guess I'll reuse my 5mt piece and order up a 5mt boot!

EDIT AGAIN: actually it looks like just the trim is about $55...still, will probably reuse I guess.

Yea the opening is a bit larger but not a lot.

If you keep the 5 speed bezel do what shawn did with the redline boot