LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up one of these....Subaru Front LSD

whitetiger

So Jeff, at Manchester Subaru confirms that the steering feedback I'm getting is normal for the Quaife. I drove the car home, but am still concerned that something is not right. It feels fine under hard acceleration through a corner, but in normal driving, it feels like I've got bad CVG joints on both sides. I'm waiting for more confirmation from a company called Autotech in CA. That's where Rallispec got the Quaife, and they seem to have more experience with Subaru/Quaife applications than anyone. As I told Jeff, I can live with the vibration as long as I know it won't lead to big expensive damage - I won't even tell you what the installation ended up costing me:redface:

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's BS. Helical type diff should be totally, and I mean 100% transparent, unless you're in turn and on power. Even then all you feel is the nose pulling thru the turn.

I'm with Uncle on this one FPerron...Jeff and Chris have been real cool to me, and I'm surprised that they're not seeing this as a problem.

The helical is TOTALLY transparent until you push it in a corner. Unless the corner is a tight one (ie: hairpin) it is pulling the car through the turn.

If it is a hairpin, I do feel very slight lurching under power (almost like an on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off binding)...but this is with OEM specB axles and a USDM OEM 06 STI front helical LSD. VERY RARE OCCURANCE!

panther piss man...that sucks. I'd be real curious about the dimensional difference of these "special" axle shaft assemblies.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Is this how it is supposed to look ? How do I know it is an LSD and not an open diff ? Does it have more internal gears and so ?

Winners don't do drugs ! Do not try LSD. It is bad for your teeth !

front factory helical LSD 5 MT - RST-1903 as on STI RA ver. 6

IMAGE_390.thumb.jpg.4d906b468cf2b24d7c15f8b5e23a24c4.jpg

Yes, it'll have internal helical gears, not just the pinion bevel gears.

And nice choice...black pepper ALWAYS goes well with LSD, especially the rare 'front' cut!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Actually to combat "3 wheel drive" without upgrading the front diff, the only effective method is to upgrade sway bars to increase roll stiffness. Will help keep wheels planted.

However, given the weight of the car, it is not substitute for a front lsd, which is surely one of my favorite mods on the car. Totally, and I mean, totally transforms the car in corners.

Agree on both points - too much #1 though and steering and comfort gets overwrought so definitely going with #2 "when possible" is the way to go.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Too much rear sway bar will cause the inside rear wheel to lift. See my avatar. I've got a 22 mm bar in front and a 25 mm in back.

By the way, since I've got a 30 day warranty on my Quaife install, I'm going to test it at a track event next weekend. I wonder what it feels like to have a front axle snap at speed:)

Is this how it is supposed to look ? How do I know it is an LSD and not an open diff ? Does it have more internal gears and so ?

Winners don't do drugs ! Do not try LSD. It is bad for your teeth !

front factory helical LSD 5 MT - RST-1903 as on STI RA ver. 6

thats what my diff looks like.

So, here's an update on my Quaife installation clusterf**k. Still unsure of what was causing the vibration in my front drivetrain (wrong length exles, incorrectly installed LSD, ?), and with the Manchester Subaru technician's assurance that all was normal :lol:, I went to the track for the final event of the year. I had to beat one particular car to secure my class championship. As soon as I got on the track, I knew I was screwed. Powering through corners, the vibration was soo bad that I could barely hold onto the wheel. It was so bad, in fact, that the vibration was shaking the front brake pads away from the rotors so I'd have no brakes at the next corner unless I pumped them up on the straight:eek:. I was really afraid that something was goin to break and put me into the wall at 120. As a result, I ran only a couple of practice laps all weekend, and then went out for my time trial laps. Well, I somehow beat my main competitor by 0.1 second, but we both ran slow times - me because of the obvious - and he because he spun out on his second timed lap.

My next step is to go down to Rallispec and get a JDM unit installed with the stock axles. Next update after that.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Bottom line is go with ther JDM unit. I also have to say that Rallispec has treated me very fairly, and once again, the Subaru dealership has flunked out. When I'm all done, I'll post how much this has cost me:eek:

Yes, the dealership I went to was strongly recommended by a forum member, and they had a really good attitude about installing mods. Also, I'm not saying that they are mechanically incompetent. The issue was complicated by the fact that the Quaife unit came out of the box with stub axles that seemed to be non-removable. So we had to have hybrid axles made up. My only beef with the Subaru dealership is that they persist in saying that the shaking I'm experiencing is normal. I also wasn't too happy with the labor charge.

I have also secured an installation date, also at a dealership which made no noise about it. The Master Tech that i spoke to - an older bloke in his late 50s who rebuilds manual trannies - has seen them before. I was a little surprised because in Chicagoland, if you want aftermarket parts added to your tranny, you do not go to a dealership and they shun anything that is not bought there. It helped certainly the fact that it came out of a Subaru box with proper Subaru labels and that of course it was brand new. In fact they did not even blink - just asked me what car it was from. STI GC-6 RA, special order. "We'll have to adjust the rings and pinion backlash". His only comment. I replied that he knows that part much better than I do.

I have also secured an installation date, also at a dealership which made no noise about it. The Master Tech that i spoke to - an older bloke in his late 50s who rebuilds manual trannies - has seen them before. I was a little surprised because in Chicagoland, if you want aftermarket parts added to your tranny, you do not go to a dealership and they shun anything that is not bought there. It helped certainly the fact that it came out of a Subaru box with proper Subaru labels and that of course it was brand new. In fact they did not even blink - just asked me what car it was from. STI GC-6 RA, special order. "We'll have to adjust the rings and pinion backlash". His only comment. I replied that he knows that part much better than I do.

Which dealer you going to? and what was the quote?

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, the dealership I went to was strongly recommended by a forum member, and they had a really good attitude about installing mods. Also, I'm not saying that they are mechanically incompetent. The issue was complicated by the fact that the Quaife unit came out of the box with stub axles that seemed to be non-removable. So we had to have hybrid axles made up. My only beef with the Subaru dealership is that they persist in saying that the shaking I'm experiencing is normal. I also wasn't too happy with the labor charge.

So, here's an update:

Dave at Rallispec took pity on me and agreed to replace (at a very reasonable cost) the Quaife unit and hybrid axles with a JDM LSD and my stock axles. I left my house in NH in the early morning hours on Moday, and arrived at Rallispec 311 miles and 6 hours later. They started work at 9:so AM and had it done by 4:00 PM. During the job, they discovered that the Subaru dealership had misaligned and crushed the locating pins when they reassembled the transmission case - there was evidence of drilling and welding. Maybe that accounted for some of the $1700 in labor I was charged by the dealership:eek:. Remember, though, I'm not totally blaming Subaru for everything since I showed up with an LSD that was not compatible with my car.

Anyway, the car is finally working properly, and I'm getting ready to call Subaru for a final chat. I just wish they'd told me about the locating pin f**k-up and had not insisted that the car was right when it left the shop. Oh, they also left out one caliper bolt - which I caught during my pre-race checkout. That could have been big:icon_frow

A final word on Rallispec: These guys are amazing. If you are on the East Coast, this is the place to go for drivetrain and engine work. Actually, I saw Subarus there that had been shipped in from as far away as California to get work done right.

Rallispec guys are great. I had two transmission worked on by them and no issues. Well except an o-ring you tore that I had to replace but that was minor.

So, here's an update:

Dave at Rallispec took pity on me and agreed to replace (at a very reasonable cost)

A final word on Rallispec: These guys are amazing. If you are on the East Coast, this is the place to go for drivetrain and engine work. Actually, I saw Subarus there that had been shipped in from as far away as California to get work done right.

So what is the reasonable price for the JDM unit ? and how much was the install ? Could you please share (even as a private msg). Thanks.

As for them, i am sure they are wonderful people just too far away.

Were there any installation issues I should be aware of ? Are you happy with how your car works right now ?

Archived