LegacyGT.com

Brake bleeding sequence...

lyndon

I'm about to bleed the brakes on my wife's 06 2.5i, and I'm not sure which order to do it in. I've got a service manual for my 02 WRX that says front R, rear L, front L, rear R, but I'm not sure if that's still good for this car. I did a search and found the same sequence for an 05 Legacy, so am I right to assume the same order for the 06 2.5i?

• 10 months later...

I have a copy of the 2005 Legacy/Outback factory service manual.

On page BR-33 it states "Perform the brake fluid replacement in order from the farthest wheel cylinder from master cylinder". This implies RR > LR > RF > LF

But on page BR-34 it states the opposite: "Perform the operation in order from the closest wheel cylinder to the master cylinder". This implies LF > RF > LR > RR.

And on page PM-32 there is yet another version. They show a diagram of the bleed sequence, which indicates a sequence of RF > LR > LF > RR

So even the Subaru tech department is unsure about the correct bleed sequence. :eek::lol:

05 and 07 Legacy factory manuals quote opposite sequences...

I do RF, LR, LF, RR.

I think the order really doesnt matter too much as long as you get all the old fluid out.

The only time I have seen it matter is when you have fixed piston calipers where you have 2 bleeder screws on each side of the caliper, normally I bleed the outside as much as i can and then bleed the inside one last. That way, you end up forcing as much of the bubbles out, and any of the remaining bubbles are caught up in the in-board nipple/bleeder.

I've always done all my cars furtherest corner from the ABS unit if the car has one, and if it doesn't I go by the furthest from Master cylinder.

Keefe

• 7 years later...
The real question is what type of brake fluid should you use?? This is a VERY important decision.

Back from the dead.

DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid is recommended for a 2005.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Lesson learned, make sure the sealing surface on the caliper is not damaged. The one I bought from NAPA today had a gouge where the crush washer seals, of course I don't notice it until trying to bleed the brakes...

Took that one back and ordered another, they said it will be there after 4:30 today...But it wasn't there, so they will deliver it to the house in a few, it's 4:45 now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Good thing I kept the banjo bolt from the other caliper, because the one NAPA delivered didn't have one.

Got it on and fluid to it, but had to come in and get showered and head out for a family dinner in a few.

• 3 years later...

Now that this is back alive...

Last year I bought one of these, https://www.google.com/search?q=motive+power+bleeder+subaru&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=motive+power&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0j0i20i263j0l4j46i175i199j0l2.4695j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Should have done that years ago. Picked up a qt bottle of DOT3 from walmart, $7.00

Now that this is back alive...

Last year I bought one of these, https://www.google.com/search?q=motive+power+bleeder+subaru&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=motive+power&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0j0i20i263j0l4j46i175i199j0l2.4695j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Should have done that years ago. Picked up a qt bottle of DOT3 from walmart, $7.00

So Max one thing I noticed with my Motive power bleeder is the cap that you put on the fluid res, is SO tight that when I’m done, I have to wrestle with the thing so much I feel like I’m gonna snap the reservoir right off the master cylinder. I did opt for the nicer metal cap instead of the plastic option from Motive. Which cap did you buy and do you have this issue at all?

So Max one thing I noticed with my Motive power bleeder is the cap that you put on the fluid res, is SO tight that when I’m done, I have to wrestle with the thing so much I feel like I’m gonna snap the reservoir right off the master cylinder. I did opt for the nicer metal cap instead of the plastic option from Motive. Which cap did you buy and do you have this issue at all?

Obviously not Max, but you aren't kidding. I found that a good size pipe wrench worked wonders - didn't feel like I was torquing the master cylinder at all and twisted it right off. Felt like overkill, but it worked.