LegacyGT.com

Cobb Accessport & ECUTek Info LOOK HERE FIRST!

SUBE555

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there no ECUTeK info on the first post? I am running ECUTeK and LOVE it. I gained some AWESOME power, no CEL's or resistor fixes, with one cat removed. No evidence of being tuned, other than my "DynoComp Tuned" sticker, lol. They can adjust just about every aspect of the ECM or ECU, whatever its called. You cannot switch maps, but for a custom tune, its great, IMO. Custom is always the best way to go anyways. If you have a laptop, Im sure you can connect it to the OBD11 connector or however you go about that, and tune on the road if youd like, adjusting your maps yourself. Im pretty sure AP can do that too. Heres just a little info about it.

^ It's because the AP is much more end-user oriented. :)

If only ECUTek would get off their asses about releasing their end-user enabled version, I'm sure we'd have much more to talk about....

As it stands now, the only way to get an ECUTek tune is a "custom" or "semi-custom" tune, be it an e-tune or live.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just a couple of AP quick questions. I've done some searching on this forum, but now I'm actually more confused.

1. Each time you reflash (version upgrade, or stage change), the ECU has to go through a re-learn process right? If so, anyone know if its a set duration of time, number of drive cycles, or certain of miles?

2. Does the re-learn process apply to Real-time maps? If so, it basically defeats the purpose of reflashing right before track day then?

Thank you!

Hi guys, just a couple of AP quick questions. I've done some searching on this forum, but now I'm actually more confused.

1. Each time you reflash (version upgrade, or stage change), the ECU has to go through a re-learn process right? If so, anyone know if its a set duration of time, number of drive cycles, or certain of miles?

2. Does the re-learn process apply to Real-time maps? If so, it basically defeats the purpose of reflashing right before track day then?

Thank you!

I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

1 - The computer is always learning, it never stops. It probably takes a couple of hundred miles for it to learn after a re-program, but even after it learns the maps, the ecu will always make adjustments as needed. Fuel/air ratios and such are always changing, so it actually never stops learning, but then it's more fine tuning for optimum performance.

2 - r/t maps have to be learned just like the base maps. You could re-flash, but you would want to drive it some, to get the ecu accustom to the new map for best performance.

I hope I didn't confuse you more! :confused:

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

Yep, I have found the same. It seems to take a good 100 miles of varied driving to set the adaptive learning mode.

I even see this at the dragstrip the car seems to run better after 8-10 runs and the new parameters are learned.

IMHO, this is the downside of folks who try to switch maps on a dyno to see the comparative differences. I don't believe they get a good "read" if a dyno pull is done right after switching maps.

FWIW, in my former life working with (Taurus) SHOs, guys who did serious mods would have the adaptive learning disabled in the ECUs so that they could nail down more consistent parameters on heavily modded engines.

Ron

I just got some more info. Apparently for people getting pro tunes there is a problem with the 06 that subaru implimented into the car. There is a rev limiting problem that is a difficult work around.

From what i heard it is ok if you are just flashing the base maps.

OK, so no problem with Cobb's setup. It has to do with other tuners learning to work with the Subaru settings.

Sorry, this is the way that nasty, unfounded rumors get started that never seem to die!!

FWIW, I have no connection to Cobb, other than as a satisfied customer.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
I heard rumors of problems with the 2006 cobb AP.

Any truth?

What's the story?

Look at this thread;

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32338&highlight=protune+2006

On another note, I just had my Legacy dyno'd at GRuppe-S (Mustang). With an AVO TMIC/BOV, Cobb catted downpipe, SPT Bosal cat-back, MadDad ceramic coated header+uppipe, a K&N Typhoon, and 91 octane and my peak numbers were ~242whp/251ft.lb. (he did a total of 4 runs, each varying by 1-2hp/ft.lb. at the most). I didn't have time to scan the graph(s) yet, but here is what a stock '06 STi does on this dyno (most are 215-225whp);

http://www.gruppe-s.com/geoff/MY06-STI.jpg

I'm actually just running the Cobb 91 octane Stage 2 map, and won't be getting a ProTune until I add the TD06H-18G+fueling as Mike said the car is running fine. It is a little more lean in the midrange than he would normally tune for, but the timing is conservative and there is no knock (AFR, boost, etc. are also fine). He pretty much just told me to save my money for now, and charged me only for the baseline runs (~$75). :p

-Mike-

Looks nice, and sounds 'bout right - that reference to a "known standard" of a stock STi really does help a lot.

With your hardware, bro, you should see some excellent gains/area-under-the-curve with a ProTUNE. :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I'll post the graph when I return home next week. I was just suprised how well the car ran with the various mods on just the regular Cobb map. That's one of the reasons I'm going with the 18G... This was a little too easy. :lol: The real limiting factor will be 91 octane, but I'm planning to also have Mike do a 100 octane map for the 18G. :)

-Mike-

Got a accessport question. I have a friend that should be getting his AP hopefully Friday. We'll be flashing his car to the stage 1 91 oct map. I know we need to load the base map, but is there any advantage of loading the 91 oct stage 1 real time map??? In the past before I was protuned, I only ran the base map .... just curious.

Thanks!

Good God Almighty!!! I just read every single post on this thread. I'm still trying to absorb it. This read was painfully long but very, very informative. I sure wish there was a compiled AP thread a couple of pages long, similar to the Audio FAQ, just a couple of pages long.

I'm very close to buying the AP.

Questions:

1) What's the advantage of buying from TDC? Custom map?

2) I'm planning on running 91 octage gass 99% of the time. In a few months, I hope to do Stage II (exhaust, UP, DP, etc.). I can go back for modified maps at that point?

3) Base map upload then I can disconnect the AP and still have my map running in the ECU?

4) Battery unplugged = base map is kept and real time lost?

report.gif sendpm.gif find.gif quote.gif qreply.gif

I finally went and done it.......I ordered a new AP from Jon @ TDC! :icon_bigg

(With the GOOD maps!) :icon_surp

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

I don't think that taking off the battery will effect the ECU at all.

Hmm I don't know how to "RESET" the ecu. I wonder what that would do. I know you want to be careful because once the AP is married to the ECU if you loose your ECU you loose your AP! Bye Bye 650 bucks!

1) What's the advantage of buying from TDC? Custom map?

If you pay for the custom maps, then yes (it's ~$55 extra?).

2) I'm planning on running 91 octage gass 99% of the time. In a few months, I hope to do Stage II (exhaust, UP, DP, etc.). I can go back for modified maps at that point?

Yes. Or you can just flash the Cobb 91 octane Stage 2 map (instead of buying a custom map).

3) Base map upload then I can disconnect the AP and still have my map running in the ECU?

Yes, once the map is flashed into the ECU, you just disconnect the AP and drive.

4) Battery unplugged = base map is kept and real time lost?

Correct. I just run with the base map flashed only (91 Octane Stage 2). You don't need a realtime map on top of the base map. Here is my dyno chart with Cobb's 91 Octane Stage 2 map + MadDad ceramic coated header+uppipe, K&N Typhoon intake, Cobb catted downpipe, SPT cat-back, AVO TMIC, and an AVO BOV;

http://www.mcnproductions.com/lgt/engine/dyno1.jpg

I don't think that taking off the battery will effect the ECU at all.

Any time you disconnect the battery, the ECU is "reset/cleared." Then, when you reconnect the battery and start the car up, the ECU begins at base parameters and adjusts from there.

-Mike-

OK... "BASE" parameters. So a base map (Cobb Stage 2) will not be changed or effected by a battery unplug... meaning that you will not have to use the AP to set up the ECU every time you have a battery failur. (You will have to load any other maps again.... valet....theft mode....econo mode....

right?

OK... "BASE" parameters. So a base map (Cobb Stage 2) will not be changed or effected by a battery unplug... meaning that you will not have to use the AP to set up the ECU every time you have a battery failur. (You will have to load any other maps again.... valet....theft mode....econo mode....

right?

Correct. the base map stays in place, and the realtime map is lost.

With adaptive learning, in my experience it then takes another 100 miles or so of varied driving to get the car feeling it's best.

Ron

I see that you are in NY. If 93 octane is readily available, I would suggest going with the 93 octane map (and gas), rather than the 91.

While driving to/from Phoenix last year, I switched to the 91 Octane Stage 1 map after I got west of Amarillo, as 93 octane gas vanished. Now, I won't discount the fact that the "butt dyno" may have been playing tricks on me, but the car did not feel as responsive the whole two weeks that I ran the 91 map. On the way home, once I got to east Texas, I flashed back to the 93 map, and all seemed back to normal once I put on a few miles to reacclimate it.

Ron

I hate all other states an their ability to get 93 Octane gasoline!

What do I have to do? Import my gass in 50 gallon drums from Oregon?

Anyone currently doing this in order to run 93 maps?

If rporter is correct and there is a huge noticeable difference I may start an underground gas import company for all the car enthusiast out here in California.

On a serious note...does anyone have any experience with Octane boosters. Could tha be reliable enough to tune according to octane boosters? (Switch to 93 map for track days etc etc)

Just curious if anyone has tested this out.

I mentioned that I noticed a difference, but it was also hotter getting into Arizona last June. I would hesitate to call it a "huge" difference, but it was noticeable.

OTOH, it was cooler in Texas by the time I switched maps back to 93, and I felt better throttle response.

Ain't worth messing with getting gas in. Spend the $$$ for Stage 2 with the swill that they call 91 octane in CA.

Also, don't mess with octane boosters, Long story, but they are expensive, and blending is hit-or-miss. Folks have better luck just buying bulk Toluene.

I would suspect that, even in the People's Republic of California, there are stations that sell 100 octane unleaded fuel. We have them here (conveniently, one is on the way to our usual dragstrip), but it's now up to $6/gallon, rather than the $5/gallon it had been for years.

IMHO, success at track days has less to do with power than (1) driving ability and (2) suspension/brakes. If you want better track performance, spend the $$$ on a driving school.

Ron