LegacyGT.com

Cobb Accessport & ECUTek Info LOOK HERE FIRST!

SUBE555

Another question:

I just got my AP today and can't wait to install tonight.

Do I update the firmware and the maps before i install on my car? One thing I read says to, and another says not to.

Also, does AP manager automatically update new maps or do I have to do that manually? I would assume if manually, I can delete the old maps.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so I just read through all 9 pages of this thread of many years, and I still have the following questions, just for clarification and would appreciate some sage advice.

So I'm considering buying a V1 Cobb AP from VTGT, but it's for a 2005.5:

*First of all, am I right in saying I have an 05, not 05.5 - VIN 5*316598?

*Secondly, therefore, am I right in saying that it is still possible to "convert" the AP for use on my 05 by downloading something online somehow (and what is the cost)?

*Thirdly, how would I know if it's been unmarried from the current car before I hooked it up to mine?

*Fourthly, I have a MAC, so am I right in saying I would need to find a PC for all of my usage?

*Fifth (and finally), once maps are loaded onto the AP (from a PC presumably), am I right in saying that I'm good to go with hooking it up to the car without needing the PC again (until any other flashing/map updates) - since a PC is not readily available for me and so I need it to be easy once I finish with the PC?

A little long I know, and I think I have read it all here, but wanted some expert help before I dropped some dollar on something I can't use.

Cheers for your patience with a relative noob (certainly when it comes to APs) and for all your feedback.

I was under the impression that the stock map was never altered, and that it would revert to the original factory map if you unmarried the AP.

As I understand it, the purchase of an AP conveys a license to install the Cobb software on only one vehicle at a time. If the AP was unmarried from from the original vehicle, it stands to reason that the Cobb map would be deleted and the stock map reinstalled, allowing the AccessPORT to be used on a different vehicle.

The vehicle's original map is downloaded to the AP during the procedure to install the new map and is available to be reinstalled.

OK so I just read through all 9 pages of this thread of many years, and I still have the following questions, just for clarification and would appreciate some sage advice.

So I'm considering buying a V1 Cobb AP from VTGT, but it's for a 2005.5:

*First of all, am I right in saying I have an 05, not 05.5 - VIN 5*316598?

*Secondly, therefore, am I right in saying that it is still possible to "convert" the AP for use on my 05 by downloading something online somehow (and what is the cost)?

*Thirdly, how would I know if it's been unmarried from the current car before I hooked it up to mine?

*Fourthly, I have a MAC, so am I right in saying I would need to find a PC for all of my usage?

*Fifth (and finally), once maps are loaded onto the AP (from a PC presumably), am I right in saying that I'm good to go with hooking it up to the car without needing the PC again (until any other flashing/map updates) - since a PC is not readily available for me and so I need it to be easy once I finish with the PC?

A little long I know, and I think I have read it all here, but wanted some expert help before I dropped some dollar on something I can't use.

Cheers for your patience with a relative noob (certainly when it comes to APs) and for all your feedback.

I installed my new AccessPORT yesterday, making me an "instant expert" ;) - not yet a Sage - but I believe that I can answer your 5th. question and the last part of the second one.

Once the firmware and the map programs are loaded into the AP hand-held terminal, you won't need the PC again until you update the unit. The maps stored in the terminal can be displayed and selected for installation.

The software downloads from the Cobb website are free, probably because they are useless to you unltil you have purchased an AP.

My experience so far: For the single day that the upgrade has been installed, I've been running the 93 octane Stage 1 map in Real Time mode. :icon_mrgr

The only hitch in the installation was that I had to disconnect and reconnect the dongle (the plug that connects to the OBD port) before the AP would marry up to the engine computer. Except for that, installation went by the book.

The Stage 1 programming brought about a nice improvement the performance. It hasn't turned into a race car, but its now much more fun to drive. The motor has significantly more pep and that occasional stuttering throttle response seems to be cured.

I don't understand why Subaru didn't configure the car like this from the factory. Were they afraid of frightening the Soccer Moms?

If no problems crop up in the next few days, I'll convert the R-T Map to the Base Map.

I was able to buy the AP from a Subaru dealer and apply Subaru Bucks to the purchase. That sealed the deal. ;)

Edited by DiscoPete

Supposedly (according to other posts) the ECU doesn't "learn" so there shouldn't be a "settle in" time. I went Stage 1 over a month ago and the car runs the same today as it did the day I first installed the map.

Does anyone know for sure if our cars have the ability to "learn"?

I installed my new AccessPORT yesterday, making me an "instant expert" ;) - not yet a Sage - but I believe that I can answer your 5th. question and the last part of the second one.

Once the firmware and the map programs are loaded into the AP hand-held terminal, you won't need the PC again until you update the unit. The maps stored in the terminal can be displayed and selected for installation.

The software downloads from the Cobb website are free, probably because they are useless to you unltil you have purchased an AP.

Cheers DP, I appreciate the response. Now if I can just confirm that it's "convertible" to work with my 05, I might just go for it...

Hey guys,

For those of you with the V2 AccessPORT, I seem to remember saying that it will take a snapshot of your ROM image prior to your own reflash of the ECU with the device (i.e. installation of aftermarket maps).

Can someone verify that this is the case, please?

So this would literally "leave no trace" of an ECU having been reflashed? or is there still going to be a "tell?"

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Supposedly (according to other posts) the ECU doesn't "learn" so there shouldn't be a "settle in" time. I went Stage 1 over a month ago and the car runs the same today as it did the day I first installed the map.

Does anyone know for sure if our cars have the ability to "learn"?

Yes, it does. As do virtually all PCMs built over the last 20 years.

There are ages-old threads about it here on the Forum.

FWIW, I've noticed it myself in street driving, and twice at the strip, with better times after a few runs with no other changes.

Ron

What exactly is it "learning"?

A quick Google on pcm adaptive learning had a number of discussions across many car forums, but I found this piece from Chrysler:

http://tinyurl.com/c6rwzj

Basically it resets fuel trim and (as I understand) timing events that it "learns" from recent driving sctivities.

I know on my other car forum, when guys do serious mods, they will disable the adaptive process in the PCM to keep the tuning more precise by eliminating vartiables.

Ron

• 1 month later...

If anyone else the problem of the display on your AP being all messed up, I recommend that you push really firmly on the connection at the ODB port.

The left 1/8th of the screen had static and the remainder looked like each row of was shifted further to the right. I was worried that a broken LCD display was going to give me a $400 repair bill from COBB (of which I'd heard mention on other threads). Other posters' advice of making EXTRA sure you have FIRMLY connected to the ODB saved me a COBB call.

Hint: Reaching over to the other side of the flimsy panel on which the ODB port is mounted should give you the leverage you need to squeeze the connectors firmly enough together.

Hey Jimmy,

Most will probably advise on skipping the intake.

The original intake system is capable of producing stage 2 + power before it gives you any performance problems.

I just use a K&N drop in panel filter which I would recommend.

If I were you.... my first mods would be accessport stage 1.

Then move into some aftermarket exhaust.

I also can't stand the feel of the stock shifter anymore.

We have two cars in our family and I have the Cobb double adjustable shifter and whenever I drive the other spec b the shifter feels 10 feet tall now!

SO I would consider that as well.

The shifter is something you can have fun with and not break the bank.

Borla makes a great quality Catback exhaust system that is also easy to install.

Later on down the road if you want to jump into stage2 go with a good Downpipe and Uppipe.

I went with Cobb for both.

The aftermarket intake systems can be difficult to tune properly and can even do more harm than good in some cases.

Have fun and enjoy the car!

i am looking to get a intake for my car, but do u need a tune? and further down road looking to get a cobb acessport.

hey thank you for all the information...im kinda new to the tuning part of my car..and yea the intake i heard isnt that great, now could i go get a drop in k and n nd b fine nd not have stage 1 or anything, also i have heard for the cobb acesss port that if u dont use a cobb turbo back it will not let the stage 2 be perfectly in tune, but i like the borla cbe and the cobb up and dp....

• 2 weeks later...
Help! I'm trying to install a firmware update for my AP in order to upload some new maps on it via the APmanager(the manager won't sync with my AP unless I do a firmware update). Whenever the APupdater tries to get things going it freezes at "Transferring updater step: 1/5".. I went to the COBB website and it told me to uninstall the AP from my car... did so and it's still freezing up at the same spot!

Help! I'm trying to install a firmware update for my AP in order to upload some new maps on it via the APmanager(the manager won't sync with my AP unless I do a firmware update). Whenever the APupdater tries to get things going it freezes at "Transferring updater step: 1/5".. I went to the COBB website and it told me to uninstall the AP from my car... did so and it's still freezing up at the same spot!

Sorry Blue Leg, I don't know the new AP... I still have my original!

hey thank you for all the information...im kinda new to the tuning part of my car..and yea the intake i heard isnt that great, now could i go get a drop in k and n nd b fine nd not have stage 1 or anything, also i have heard for the cobb acesss port that if u dont use a cobb turbo back it will not let the stage 2 be perfectly in tune, but i like the borla cbe and the cobb up and dp....

Yes you can just get the K&N without anything and be fine.

You will not get full effect of the Stage-2 setup without an aftermarket Turbo Back Exhaust.

It doesn't have to be the COBB brand.

For the first few years they didn't even have the COBB exhuast system.

I probably would have tried it but they didn't make one when I bought my setup.

I ended up with a nice borla setup that I just LOVE!

I would never go back.