LegacyGT.com

Cobb Accessport & ECUTek Info LOOK HERE FIRST!

SUBE555

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
bought the ap v2 and wouldnt flash cuz of ecutek my tuner said! either send to cobb and be without a car or???? can the stealership wipe the ecutek out so I could use my a.p.??? tuner couldn't reprogram to stock so wonder if dealer has the tech to ?any answers would be great!:rolleyes:

That is BS. I had Ecutek...deon't even get me started about that...I bot an AP V2 and it was able to erase the Ecutek license...I believe the first time I married it to the ECU, it wrote over it.
Rehab is for quitters.

If the tuner is an ECUTeK tuner, they should be able to overwrite the ECUTeK license, too.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Really? It was something to do with the wgdc and only being able to go up to 30%?

I paid 7 bills for the license and then the tuner can't get my car straight bc ecutek won't give him access to all of the tables? That's bs. I should ask Ecutek for a refund.

Rehab is for quitters.

Really? It was something to do with the wgdc and only being able to go up to 30%?

I paid 7 bills for the license and then the tuner can't get my car straight bc ecutek won't give him access to all of the tables? That's bs. I should ask Ecutek for a refund.

Yes, we are well aware of the WGDC ramping. It showed up in the 2006 LGT first but it was added to the 2005 "updated" roms, 521N and 522N. It was discussed in November 13, 2006. I had actually seen it earlier but I was just a noob and didn't know if I was doing something wrong.

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1316

The fix wasn't that easy.

merchgod had to patch the rom himself.

However, merchgod added an easy to use button to the latest romraider defs to take care of it so we don't have to ask him for the patch anymore.

ya no I'm gonna bite my tongue on this one the problem is very real not made up.. i hear they tried to lock the market kinda like microsoft with this liscense b.s. my tuner is cobb authorized and couldn't touch this thing so chris @techsupport said they would write some firmware for it... he said only 6 in the country have had this prob with the 05 which i find hard to believe because all forums i read badmouth ecutek for this, I bad mouth nobody just want my s@#t!! the way i want it! Im the owner not ecutek Edited by jcjentz71

well all i know is that the problem is very REAL and not MADE up B.S. there PAL!!! so defend ecutek all you want but you seem to have made the switch?? are u willing to argue this matter with a cobb tech:lol:

get the facts before letting the fingers do the talk

^ None of us are defending ECUTeK.

mickeyd2005 is probably one of the most knowledgeable Open Source and general tuning enthusiasts that we have here in our community. I can't count the times he's come forward to help someone - and he's trying to dissect the issue more for you, here, too.

And you're new to the community, so you might not know of brother TPLGT's headaches with ECUTeK, with his prior tune:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90071&highlight=ecutek

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77569

He hates ECUTeK with a passion, and rightfully so.

Please refrain from attacking others in the Forum, particularly someone who was trying to help you, by pointing out that, from his very real, past, personal experience and hard-won heartache, that his AP V2 was able to "overwrite" his ECUTeK "locked" ECU.

:mad:

We're actually all trying to give you advice, so that you can further take up the issue with your tuner - to let him know of what has been tried before, and worked.

Also, as I've said, even if you/your tuner can't get the AP to work, if your tuner is an ECUTeK tuner, he should be able to use ECUTeK to overwrite the license and reflash "to-stock," thus allowing the AP to itself reflash. Alternatively, since you do have an ECUTeK license, you should pursue the issue with ECUTeK NA or the mother company in GB, who are all very, very helpful and professional, and should be more than willing assist you with removal of the license from the ECU.

None of us are "defending ECUTeK." You might want to re-read the follow-up posts, before getting mad at us and insulting us.

And yes, I'm an ECUTeK user. I've been, since fall of 2005.

While I've been happy with their service, as well as what my tuners were able to do for my car, with ECUTeK, I am in no way, if you'll again simply review the posts above, "defending" ECUTeK - which would be weird, if I told you how to get rid of the ECUTeK restrictions on your ECU, wouldn't it?

You might want to be nicer to those of us who have been around in this community for a while, and are actually trying to help you.

Nice Ninja edit, BTW. :mad: Great apology to those you've insulted. :( Glad I got you quoted before you edited. :rolleyes:

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

ya no I'm gonna bite my tongue on this one the problem is very real not made up.. i hear they tried to lock the market kinda like microsoft with this liscense b.s. my tuner is cobb authorized and couldn't touch this thing so chris @techsupport said they would write some firmware for it... he said only 6 in the country have had this prob with the 05 which i find hard to believe because all forums i read badmouth ecutek for this, I bad mouth nobody just want my s@#t!! the way i want it! Im the owner not ecutek

^ Like I said above, pursue ECUTeK.

If the tuner you went to is an authorized ECUTeK tuner, they can remove the ECU lock for you, and reflash you to a "stock map" that can then be overwritten with the AP, even if an outright reflash attempt by the AP couldn't do the trick. Several of the bigger-name tuners do both ECUTeK and Cobb, so if you haven't asked your tuner this question, outright, it'll be a first-line thing to double-check.

Alternatively, if your tuner isn't an ECUTeK tuner, you are right, you're the vehicle/ECU owner, so it's your choice - e-mail ECUTeK NA or the mother company in GB, directly, and I'm *sure* they will help you, including, if you want it, removing the license from your ECU. They've always been a great bunch, with excellent customer-service.

The last choice would be to find someone locally with an ECUTeK dongle and the EasyECU program, and for them to reflash your car to a stock map. However, I am not sure if that would return your ECU to an "open" format, or if it would remain locked and inaccessible to the AP. The other complication is that this person would need to be willing to sacrifice one of his/her licenses for you, as your ECU will register as unique/different from theirs. Because of these potential complications, I'd recommend pursuing ECUTeK, directly, to get their license removed off of your ECU, if your tuner is unable to do so, himself.

Edited by TSi+WRX

dont see how u got an insult outa that post..and i cant put a price on the help i get here

Your original post, before you edited:

Originally Posted by jcjentz71

well all i know is that the problem is very REAL and not MADE up B.S. there PAL!!! so defend ecutek all you want but you seem to have made the switch?? are u willing to argue this matter with a cobb tech:lol:

get the facts before letting the fingers do the talk

Was where I thought your tone really insulted those of us who were trying to help.

You said that we were trying to "defend ECUTeK," and that what TPLGT posted prior was incorrect, and that he was misguiding you, particularly with the yelled "PAL," as well as the rather sarcastic challenge at the end.

Your later revision, made after I pointed out that your frustration was misplaced, and should not be targeted at us - those who are trying to help you - certainly was a complete 180 in terms of attitude.

Bygones.

I just hope, as undoubtedly do the others here, that you get your problems taken care of. That's really what we as a community really care about. :)

Edited by TSi+WRX

^ IIRC, only the RT-map overlay, if you're using any, will need to be re-booted. The basemap is a true reflash, and will not be "cleared" when the battery cable is unplugged, or the ECU "reset."

guess i took the first post wrong about the "b.s." didnt read much further and to tell you the truth its alota chinese. i certainly don't want to make enemies here so my apoligies:redface:..not exactly sure what type of flash is on the car but cobb's confident they can fix it.. i just wish i could do it some other way besides sending it in.. when they do get it back to stock my question is if will be ok to drive it the 240mi. for tune? will i foul my brand new plugs or cause other probs? i know i will have codes due to the downpipe intake and exhaust..

guess i took the first post wrong about the "b.s." didnt read much further and to tell you the truth its alota chinese. i certainly don't want to make enemies here so my apoligies:redface:..

^ Like I said, no biggie - bygones. :) What's important is that we help each other in this community. :)

not exactly sure what type of flash is on the car but cobb's confident they can fix it..

The Cobb guys are wonderful. They've done the Scooby community right many times over, and certainly have won everyone's respect in that way. I'm sure they'll be able to get you straightened-out, too.

i just wish i could do it some other way besides sending it in..

^ Have you pursued ECUTeK, to try to get them to remove the lock on the ECU? If the V2 AccessPORT was not able to overwrite your ECUTeK map, I would definitely try this, first, as a local way of being able to do so, without having to physically send your ECU to Cobb.

Since you (your vehicle) is the ECUTeK license-holder, ECUTeK, at your request, should be willing to remove the restrictions for you.

when they do get it back to stock my question is if will be ok to drive it the 240mi. for tune? will i foul my brand new plugs or cause other probs? i know i will have codes due to the downpipe intake and exhaust..

You already have your AccessPORT, no?

If that's the case, and you're not running modifications contraindicated by Cobb, then you should be able to put the OTS "Stage II" map on the ECU, for your drive out to your tuner, for custom tuning.

^ ECUTeK should be able to, at your request, hook you up with a local Vendor of theirs who would be able to reflash your ECU "to-stock," and remove the lock.

Without their proprietary OBD-II dongle, I don't think that you'd be able to do a reflash yourself by using OpenSource reflash software like ECUFlash. :(

• 1 month later...
Does the AP contain a stock ECU map, or does it copy the map from your car's ECU and save it for uninstall purposes?

I know it contains a "stock" map to switch to on the fly.

There is a video on the Cobb website that shows how to use the AP.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3268

If I recall it correctly, the user is instructed to save the existing map to the AccessPort before the new map is installed, so that the original settings can be restored if need be.

Edited by DiscoPete
clarity