LegacyGT.com

Pictoral Guide to Changing Transmission and Rear Diff Fluids- 5MT 05+ Legacy GT

When warmed up, it is a 140 weight. Problem being you want it to be a 90 weight when warmed up, max (according to the manual). You could run it, but then you could run water or dish soap. No one is stopping you :)

So i had a discussion at the dealer and i got confused go figure (also i went by the book and got a 75w90 Extra-S)

BUT

when a fluid states 75w140 or 80w90 what exactly does that mean ???

Judging by your post the latter number is weight when warm?? Sorry if I seem n00bish in this topic b/c I am I just know that Extra-S goes in every 30K front and rear :)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those numbers indicate pretty much the same thing that oil viscosity numbers indicate. The number before the w is the viscosity when cold, the number after it is the viscosity at operating temp. Keep in mind that on the MT Legacies the front diff fluid is shared with the transmission. 75w140 is thick.

IIRC (totally going off memory here), 75w140 is fine for severe duty in high temp applications.

And I agree with Fish, I wouldn't support it for daily use in wide ranging temperatures. But it's fine as an emergency fluid, if you ever need such a thing.

amsoil makes a unique grade they call 75w110. Essentially, 75w90 spans say 1-20 on a viscosity scale and 21-40 is 75w140. Amsoil basically figured they'd create a new definition of it, since the scale is so wide-ranging....pure marketing crap. All it is is a gear lube that falls right on the line between 75w90 and 75w140.

I've been running it for the past 20k in both front and rear and have had positive experiences. So if you want something a bit more viscous, that might be an option for you.

This is a good trick to get ALL the fluid out of the transmission.

When you drop both the drain plugs. Jack up the back of the car so it sits higher then the front. This way you are able to get all the oil out of the transmission. We have seen about an extra 1/3 qt of oil come out from the back of the transmission by doing this.

I'm not sure I have the sarcasm right. 75W is 75W is 75W +/- small variations in formula due largely to the 'hot' viscosity and manufacturer. 75W-400 and 75W-90 should be relatively similar at cold startup. To fishbone's comment, as Joe said, one won't feel any more like honey than the other, but 75W-400 probably wont get into all the nooks and crannies and protect as well when hot. And I'm not going to bother checking whether 75W-400 even exists. Maybe on nuclear submarines or something :lol:
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 4 weeks later...

ThanksInigo Montoya for this most indispensable guide! I changed out my gearbox and diff today it is a pretty easy job except for how freaking TIGHT everything had been done up by my mechanic :mad: I thought I was going to snap my breaker bar and end up skinning my hands on the underbody.

One thing I did notice was that the diff fill plug does not screw back in as far as the drain plug; it has one more row of the thread showing. Aside from that I did it up pretty tight about 75nM (55lbs/ft) and it just wouldn't turn anymore without risk of cracking the diff cover.

I took the plug out again and cleaned the threads before refitting.

In hindsight I should have looked before I undid them to see if this was normal. I can't really tell from your photos if the plugs are even; can anyone comment? (After a 20kms/12Mile drive there does not appear to any leaks despite not using thread sealant)

13022010435.jpg.6a9489b79d0eb8165d2a782704210bdf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished this up. Super easy, just awkward under the car trying to get the angle to break the bolts. A couple of thoughts.

I found my t70 torx at a well stocked local Napa

My 05 LGT 5EAT has 77k miles, based upon a few other things I have found since I purchased it at 70k (namely a blown turbo soon after purchase), I dont think the fluid was ever changed, so I stuck with the Valvoline 75w90 based upon the consensus this is factory fill and I dont want to change it up at this point.

I've got the 10mm hex bolts on my rear diff, the placement is much easier meaning I didnt need to use any attachments to get at it. However, I did buy a very long Hex adapter which almost made my breaker bar/wrench hit the right lower control arm.

I sprayed my bolts with liquid wrench the night before and just before I started and I had ZERO problem with seized bolts. When tightening, I really felt that 21.4 pounds on the rear diff bolts was super light so I gave it a few extra cranks.

I didnt replace any washers, none are crush washers.

I took some photos for everyone to see, and based upon what the fluid looked like coming out (you can see the fill lines in my last photos), Im gonna put my money on this is the first fluid change

IMG_1751.JPG.59f343f51158409a59342c1a4e88b84a.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG.9ff9c8fb3c0f76d902ab4fc555b44c05.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG.a0cb800df7f276a8732547ddf2ba9ab9.JPG

IMG_1754.thumb.jpg.2f6639edc9900e4e1bfb630fbb8c9041.jpg

IMG_1755.JPG.e47076ca6100c109f7f743521ac41986.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG.7e8b1c8042201a1a5034093524aef855.JPG

just changed my f/r diff fluid (valvoline 75w90) and drain and fill on my 5eat. everything went very smoothly and the car feels very nice now but my only concern is i only drained a little over 3 qts of tranny fluid? i though about 4.5 was supposed to come out? i only replaced what i took out and after a 10 minute or so ride i checked the ATF and it was at the Hot Lower mark, so i added a little to bring it right under the Hot Upper mark (Full).

Any idea why only about 3.2 qts came out?

Actually, no. A 1/2 square drive does not fit exactly, but it works

for most of us, including me. However, the exact fit is a 13mm

square, slightly larger than 1/2". This has been discussed earlier

in THIS thread, in posts 42-44.

I measured the square opening with calipers, and it is 13.8 mm. And 1/2" drive wrenches and extensions measure out at 12.7-12.8 mm. They will work as long as the plug is not super tight. But it is a very loose fit. It is like using a 15 mm socket on a 14 mm bolt head.;)

just changed my f/r diff fluid (valvoline 75w90) and drain and fill on my 5eat. everything went very smoothly and the car feels very nice now but my only concern is i only drained a little over 3 qts of tranny fluid? i though about 4.5 was supposed to come out? i only replaced what i took out and after a 10 minute or so ride i checked the ATF and it was at the Hot Lower mark, so i added a little to bring it right under the Hot Upper mark (Full).

Any idea why only about 3.2 qts came out?

I had the same thing happen with the 6mt. It seems to be pretty common. It's possible that the factory didn't fill it all the way, or much more likely that during the course of use, the transmission fluid/oil is consumed in some way.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I am 110% sure I overtorqued my bolts last year, so sometime soon I will be re-bolting them since I now have a proper torque wrench and also replacing the crush washers which I did not have handy when I first did this.

I just purchased this http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-3845/Subaru-Legacy-GT-30K/Detail for my 90k service and it comes with 5 quarts of the Extra-S gear oil. I am guess that 4 quarts is for the tranny and one (or .7) is for the rear diff? What about the front diff?

Also, can the plugs just be snug tight or do they have to be torqued? I dont have a torque wrench of any kind.

Maybe I wasnt clear.

The rear diff - .7

Trans- 4

Is there also a front diff? If so, the kit only has 5 quarts and I will need more. If this is a complete kit I shouldnt need more. I am confused.

So to make a long story short...the 5 bottles - i think they are liters - should be enough to change the fluid in the following 3 areas, front diff, manual trans, rear diff......any is the Extra-S ok to go in all three. Here the OP used the Redline S and Regular Redline.

Archived