LegacyGT.com

Pictoral Guide to Changing Transmission and Rear Diff Fluids- 5MT 05+ Legacy GT

Kiddo, as DukeTrout explained, the front diff on the MT is shared with the MT fluid, so you only have the MT fluid and rear diff to swap fluids in.

DukeTrout: the 5EAT does not share the front diff fluid with the transmission.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Croll - The answers to your questions are yes. The front trans/diff share the fluid, and extra-s is good for it. The rear diff also will use extra-s just fine and dandy.

You should have ~.3-.5 quarts leftover when you are done.

• 5 months later...

I run amsoil and have been since about 10K miles. I have about 50K now. I use "100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (ASL)" http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx

I've never had any problems and I've never had any noticeable loss of oil over my 5K mile oil change intervals. I'd like to use their filters, but they are too pricey. Instead, I either use OEM subaru filters or purolator one filters. I also put amsoil in my wife's car - due to the quantity that I use, I am a "Preferred Customer".

nice writeup. who uses Amsoil? What kind should i get? severe? I know a coworker who sells it so I would like to buy some.

Here's what I'm running

http://www.rmjmotorsports.com/images/P/amsoil_gear7590.jpg

• 1 month later...

just did the differential last night. the plugs were pretty tough to break loose but got it off eventually. I bought this fluid pump from Harbor Freight and it was direct fit onto the Amsoil bottle.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn212/blkmazda3/IMG_0799.jpg

• 5 months later...

2 Questions.

The rear end on the 5 heat had non of these drain plugs on the back cover. Where are they located? I think I found a drain plug last time I looked but no fill hole.

will the dipstick for the manual fit the 5eat so I don't have to almost touch the DP every time I try and check the levels?

Not that hard I could see why you would want a write up(with pics) to not epic fail it. I spent like 2 weeks of research before I tried to replace my blown VF 40 :lol:

Pretty much like changing engine oil except pouring fresh oil into the dipstick tube.

• 4 weeks later...
I just finished this up. Super easy, just awkward under the car trying to get the angle to break the bolts. A couple of thoughts.

I found my t70 torx at a well stocked local Napa

My 05 LGT 5EAT has 77k miles, based upon a few other things I have found since I purchased it at 70k (namely a blown turbo soon after purchase), I dont think the fluid was ever changed, so I stuck with the Valvoline 75w90 based upon the consensus this is factory fill and I dont want to change it up at this point.

I've got the 10mm hex bolts on my rear diff, the placement is much easier meaning I didnt need to use any attachments to get at it. However, I did buy a very long Hex adapter which almost made my breaker bar/wrench hit the right lower control arm.

I sprayed my bolts with liquid wrench the night before and just before I started and I had ZERO problem with seized bolts. When tightening, I really felt that 21.4 pounds on the rear diff bolts was super light so I gave it a few extra cranks.

I didnt replace any washers, none are crush washers.

I took some photos for everyone to see, and based upon what the fluid looked like coming out (you can see the fill lines in my last photos), Im gonna put my money on this is the first fluid change

Thank you for being the only post I've seen showing the rear diff drain and fill plugs as being the 10mm hex female plugs!! I thought I was the only one on the planet and in the twilight zone when I jacked up my car and seen those!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Holy CRAP my T70 drain plug was welded on there!! i almost stripped the drain plug with the big trying to break it free! Air tools... not budging. 4' long cheater pipe... almost snapped my wrench in half. SOAKED in PB for hours... not helping. 2 hours+ of trying later and minutes away from giving up, it broke free from my giving it repeated kicks.

I bet the guy before me never changed this out and it's been sitting on there seizing up for 150k+ miles. What a pain!

"This is an adventure."

• 2 weeks later...

Great write up and i appreciate all the insight everyone has given. I just picked up 4qts of AMSOIL Low Viscosity ATF fluid and 2 qts of AMSOIL 75w90 for the diff. Looking forward to changing the tranny and diff fluid its about time to do it, car just turn 110,000 and i just changed the oil on her as well. My question would be in the Low Viscosity ATF alright to use or should i go to the regular stuff? My auto parts guy says that it should be fine, never steered me wrong at all.

Also the guy i bought it from stated that the ATF dip stick is on one side of the motor and the Diff for the front is on the side with the turbo? without looking yet i just wanted to make sure im going to do this right.

i'm doing some of my fluid changes on the GT and since I have a 5EAT the manual calls for 1.6 US Qt (Front Diff)

.8 US Qt (Rear Diff)

i was going to go with the redline stuff from fredbeans, i still want to do a transmission fluid change too, still looking for a way to get all the old fluid out.

Nobody helped me with pics on the 5eat rear end. looks nothing like the ones posted here. Was the manual center diff dip stick compatible with the yellow auto one? The blue ones have a longer handle and stem than the yellow ones we get.

Archived