LegacyGT.com

Pictoral Guide to Changing Transmission and Rear Diff Fluids- 5MT 05+ Legacy GT

Thanks. It doesn't make sense to me that you'd need thread sealer on the diff.

I have copper washers in the garage (Alfa oil pan bolt uses them) so if they're the same size I'll use a new one, otherwise I'll just reuse the one that's on there.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a pump....$8 or so. Looks cheap as hell. I'll make sure it works prior to draining the rear diff.

I've got 1.5 quarts of 75w110 leftover. I'm thinking I'll do a full drain this time and save an extra .7 quarts for 20-30k from now....drain some out and top it off with fresh.

Joe

Has anyone used mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid in their 5/6mt? I've always used this in previous manual transmissions but am unsure if this is okay for the 6mt.

I just used it on my 5 mt, been doing well for the last 2 weeks/1000 miles.

Nate

edit...woops didn't see you said ATF fluid, i used the recommended gear oil, the mobil 1 synthetic version

• 2 weeks later...
The 5MT listed as having 3.7qt capacity but in reality mine took only about 3.3qt to be at FULL. I only found that after I poured about 3.5qts in gear box ...

I had a similar experience yesterday, after I put in roughly 3-3/4 quarts

and found it considerably above "full" on the dipstick. One wonders if

the inaccuracy is in the dipstick calibration or in the 3.7qt capacity spec;

seems equally likely ... unless a significant volume of old oil remained

in the tranny, but I warmed the car up, parked it on level ground, and

let it drain at least 30min (while I struggled with the rear diff'al plugs).

Interesting - about the dipstick level being very sensitive to car levelness.

I parked on a slight incline (front of car higher) by a few inches and indeed

found that the level was then only about 1/4" above "full" (it was maybe 1/2"

when I thought it was parked level). Oh well, I take solace in the advice that

it's not a pressurized case and slight overfill should not risk seals.

• 2 weeks later...

I just changed the fluids on my 5MT, the rear diff oil looked almost new in my car and smelled just like gear oil. Same for the front diff / tranny.

Note to all doing this: When i filled my front i just used some extra silicone hose and inserted the nipple of the quart bottle and squeezed. This works but you have to go fairly slow as mine backed up and i succeeded in placing quite a bit of gear oil on the concrete. Thanks for the how to. This was very easy, except for cleaning up the mess i made myself.

edit: oh, and to those questioning ATF in a manual trans - many new manuals (hell, many OLD manuals) take Dextron ATF as their fluid.

• 4 weeks later...

Note to all doing this: When i filled my front i just used some extra silicone hose and inserted the nipple of the quart bottle and squeezed. This works but you have to go fairly slow as mine backed up and i succeeded in placing quite a bit of gear oil on the concrete. Thanks for the how to. This was very easy, except for cleaning up the mess i made myself.

I just did that with a short length of hose since it's all I had and I the hose came off the bottle into the dipstick hole! :eek: :eek: :eek: I'm going to get one of those flexi parts grabbers at the auto store and hope I can fish it out. I can still see it in the hole. F^%$#%^$#%$#%#!!!!!!

Very nice writeup, too bad I've already done mine for 30k mile service. btw I got my torx t70 at autozone.

Sweet, had a hell of a time trying to find one until I called Autozone. Guy didn't think he had em but went to check and found 1. Was 3.99, so cheaper then ebay in the end.

Archived