LegacyGT.com

Pictoral Guide to Changing Transmission and Rear Diff Fluids- 5MT 05+ Legacy GT

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rear diff drain and fill plugs were super hard to remove too. Previously I only had a 24" breaker bar, a few 7" ratchets, and a stubby ratchet around 4" or so. I couldn't get enough leverage with the 7" ratchets, and the breaker bar head had too much play to work with the limited clearance under the jacked up car.

So long story short, I went out and looked around for longer ratchet or shorter breaker bar to get more leverage. I ended up getting the extendable ratchet below, which worked perfectly on my rear diff drain and fill plugs. I thought I would only use this ratchet on my rear diff, but I've actually come to use it for a lot of other things I do on my car too.

The only other suggestion I have other than a tool with more leverage is, make sure the drain plug socket is firmly seated in the drain plug. I have harbor freights drain plug socket set which does the job.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-evolv-3-8-in-drive-extendable-ratchet/p-00910033000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

*One more thing, I know shelby's post is a few months old, but I figure this might help someone in the future.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the write up. Going to do this in the next few days and do both diff and tranny.

Theres a local shop I usually go to outside warranty work and they were reasonable on cost and pretty flexible. Another place, wanted $260 to do both tranny and diff, and that was with me providing the fluid!

• 3 months later...

Reinsert the drain plug, there is a copper crush washer here you can replace. I did not do that with no ill effects so far, but it is your car, and Subaru does say to replace it.

Does anyone know the dimensions/size of the copper washer?

Thanks

Subaru changed the gasket from copper to some other material, I can't tell what it is.

The dimensions are on the label, but here are some of my own pictures too because I'm bored.

1.thumb.jpg.03e944523bcb9e2d5f39b535cff5c9fb.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.993664a99795a582db3ed821454adb2f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.c00b2c2e8898019c54ae0bde122533c9.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.cf4f3018facaf21bc2755d471e2e0147.jpg

Archived