LegacyGT.com

Pictoral Guide to Changing Transmission and Rear Diff Fluids- 5MT 05+ Legacy GT

Which 5MT and Diff oil I should use in 05 LGT ??

Mobile1 :attention: Valvoline :attention: RedLine :attention: Royal Purple

I used Redline for my fluid changes, however there has been discussions about both the options of mobile 1 and royal purple, as well as the subaru syncro-s (that only comes in large amounts though) I am happy with my decision.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Question: Is it safe/possible to disconnect the ATF return line and route it into a drain pan, then turn the car on and pour fresh ATF into my 5EAT until it comes out clean? I have my girlfriend to watch the level of expelled transmission fluid so that I can match the incoming volume of ATF. If so, would I need to plug the disconnected return line?

TIA!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I would think this is kinda dangerous. I put a new engine in a car once and I forgot to connect the tranny lines to the radiator. I idled the car about a min or less, so some tranny fluid was pumped out before I had noticed. I didn't look like much fluid. Topped it off thinking it was OK. Tried to put it in gear and nothing. Couldn't move the car. Had to get a new tranny. Don't know what happened if I blew the tranny fluid pump or what. Be careful!!

• 2 weeks later...
I would think this is kinda dangerous. I put a new engine in a car once and I forgot to connect the tranny lines to the radiator. I idled the car about a min or less, so some tranny fluid was pumped out before I had noticed. I didn't look like much fluid. Topped it off thinking it was OK. Tried to put it in gear and nothing. Couldn't move the car. Had to get a new tranny. Don't know what happened if I blew the tranny fluid pump or what. Be careful!!

Your post was the reason I did it the normal way instead. What's an extra gallon or 2 of fluid worth if you don't have a working transmission to put it into?

Does anyone know the size of the 5EAT ATF plug (is it for instance the same M20x1.5 plug specification as the engine, though it requires the different socket)?

Thanks!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

^ How did you go about changing it, did you drain, refill, then drain again and refill?

Yes. I recommend driving around between each, as my ATF did not mix well between the first and second fluid change when I just idled for 5 minutes. I just wanted it done quick, wasn't thinking.

Question: Is it safe/possible to disconnect the ATF return line and route it into a drain pan, then turn the car on and pour fresh ATF into my 5EAT until it comes out clean? I have my girlfriend to watch the level of expelled transmission fluid so that I can match the incoming volume of ATF. If so, would I need to plug the disconnected return line?

TIA!

I did this in my 95 volvo 850 turbo. I used, I think, 4 1 gallon containers and drained about 1 quart each time. I made sure that I had added 4 quarts every time a gallon container was full. So it never ran lower than 1 quart low.

Worked like a charm. Except I didn't re-connect the line properly. 3 days later, the line disconnected and spewed ALL the transmission fluid out into the engine bay while I was doing 40mph on a back road with no pull off area. I slipped it really well for about 1 mile.....

God bless volvo. Transmission worked just fine when I re-added some crappy fluid :)

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
help me out here, i'm a little confused. Does the manual Legacy have a front differential? and does an automatic Legacy have a front differential to change its' fluids?

Both have a front differential.

On the MT, the tranny and front dif share the same fluid.

On the 5EAT, the tranny and front dif are separate. They each have their own dipstick/fill tube (front dif on passenger side, trans on driver side) and drain plug with different socket fitting for each. Front dif uses T70torx. Tranny uses hex bit. Front dif uses same fluid as rear dif. Tranny uses... you know. Hope that's everything you're wondering :)

• 1 month later...
The transmission dipstick/fill tube on the 6mt looks different and is located lower and farther than the one on the 5MT. See pic. It is nicely labelled "gear oil."

521026816_chassisbrace4.jpg.eb00a9ba2667dcce3ac15bc7e2e35f73.jpg

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Also, on the 6MT, there are 2 drain plugs. WHen I first did it, i only did one, and i was like, there is no way that is 4.3 quarts....then i found that there was 2nd drain plug, and the rest came out.

-John

Weird. I got a nice solid gallon out of the single drain, and refilled exactly 4.2q. Then again, I dropped the front down and lifted the back, and the forward tilt encouraged quite a bit of flow. Maybe the second drain is for when they have the car up on a lift and tilting isn't an option?
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Yeah, I had it up so it wasnt tilted.

I got the most from opening the pan plug, which makes sense now that I think about it.:lol:

-John

Weird. I got a nice solid gallon out of the single drain, and refilled exactly 4.2q. Then again, I dropped the front down and lifted the back, and the forward tilt encouraged quite a bit of flow. Maybe the second drain is for when they have the car up on a lift and tilting isn't an option?

Here I am struggling trying to get the top rear diff plug out...LOL 1:15am and tugging at it. Im worried that me forcing is gonna break something... Any tips on how to get it out without breaking anything?

Thanks appreciate the help!

Here I am struggling trying to get the top rear diff plug out...LOL 1:15am and tugging at it. Im worried that me forcing is gonna break something...

The differential and plug are pretty stern stuff. I think the thing most

likely to break is your hand, when the wrench slips off - or the wrench

itself if it is crap.

Any tips on how to get it out without breaking anything?

Thanks appreciate the help!

I've heard of jacking up the car a little, wedging the end of the wrench

against the ground, and then lowering the car so the weight of the car

pushes on the wrench. Or maybe take it to a garage and get them to

use an air wrench to undo it (and then put it back in loosely to drive

home).

Great thread here -- I'm inspired! Word of warning though: It's possible to over-tighten the diff drain plug (probably fill plug as well), which might be the best reason to use torque numbers for reference. Steel plugs and alloy diff cover make for the potential of cracking the cover, which I have seen. Use a little self-restraint when you're cranking on 'em, especially if you're using a 1/2" drive.

Thanks for the great tips. I have 1 more question. I sort of gave up on the rear diff, I forced all afternoon, various ways and nothing seems to work. I'll get a shop to loosen it or just change it completely. When i recovered the left over tranny fluid in the front, I left with approximately 2.5 quarts...is that normal? I filled it with 3.7L...any risk if I put just a little more?

Thanks guys, forum is great!

Thanks for the great tips. I have 1 more question. I sort of gave up on the rear diff, I forced all afternoon, various ways and nothing seems to work. I'll get a shop to loosen it or just change it completely. When i recovered the left over tranny fluid in the front, I left with approximately 2.5 quarts...is that normal? I filled it with 3.7L...any risk if I put just a little more?

Thanks guys, forum is great!

5MT, 6MT or 5EAT?

Archived