LegacyGT.com

Pictoral Guide to Changing Transmission and Rear Diff Fluids- 5MT 05+ Legacy GT

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5mt

I don't really understand your exact situation, but the MT front dif and tranny share the same gear oil. I hope what you mean is that you put just under the same amount in as came out, then checked the level to fine tune this. If you're way over the dipstick full level, that's not necessarily a disaster, though you don't want it too high. I don't know exactly what this fine line is because I have a 5eat, but I would suggest not going to far out of spec.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Sorry for not being clear. When I drained my oil in my tranny, from what I recovered I got around 2.5 quarts which I find a little low (but thinking about it, it isnt too bad since most people lose 1 quart every 1000 miles, so losing 1 quart of tranny oil in 30000 miles isnt crazy, I would think). I then put 3.7 quarts in as stated in the manual and on this thread. I havent checked the level yet as it showed be checked hot like engine oil...correct?

Thanks man I really appreciate it. I really wanted to do front and rear fluid changes, but the rear was impossible...the bolt is nicely rusted thanks to our wonderful quebec salting system.

Again thanks to everyone helping us new guys here, it being the first time I actually get down and dirty (and oily...haha), these step by step guides are great. Thank god I didn't remove the lower plug first, cause it unscrews real easy, and was gonna be stuck without and fluid in the rear.

Thanks again everyone. :)

and see you in the playoffs climberd hehehehe (assuming you watch hockey and are a bruins fan)

Thanks for the great tips. I have 1 more question. I sort of gave up on the rear diff, I forced all afternoon, various ways and nothing seems to work. I'll get a shop to loosen it or just change it completely. When i recovered the left over tranny fluid in the front, I left with approximately 2.5 quarts...is that normal? I filled it with 3.7L...any risk if I put just a little more?

Thanks guys, forum is great!

Dude, PLEASE put your car in your profile, that way, anyone can see

what you're talking about.

So I think you said 5MT ... something is seriously awry if you only got

2.5 quarts out ... UNLESS the thing was already a quart low. Had you

not checked the tranny fluid level recently before you drained out this

2.5 quarts ?!?

I can't really possibly imagine how only 2.5 came out if it was anywhere

near full, but if it WAS full, adding 3.7 back could really overfill it and

lead to blown seals. Very expensive repair (since labor would be

comparable to a clutch job).

I am willing to be corrected ... but I'm pretty sure that both engine

and tranny oil are best checked cold.

Yes, cold for the engine. I only know that for the 5eat you check it warm.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

wow. Im not sure what to say...I checked to make sure I had exactly 3.7 quarts when I put it in. Checking, Im getting oil residue about half way up the stick, but it seems like the level is perfectly between L and F. Also, I didnt check the tranny fluid, its less then a month I have the car...I'll probably reflush and check the level again. I drained it overnight on level ground, the car was sitting on jacks...

edit: anyone else taking out less fluid than whats suppose to be in there?

• 2 months later...

Like Vitulla said, I could NOT remove my upper diff plug. Impossible. Gave up after about 20 minutes of trying.

Tried a half-inch breaker bar. Nothing. Wanted to try my mega cheater bar on it, but didn´t have the real estate under the car to get it to work.

Couldn´t find the room to get an impact on it either. I tried PB Blastering it before the attempt(s) as well. Maybe I need to just keep the PB on it for a week or more by re-applying it after every ride.

Any other tips people have used to successfully remove a stuck top fill plug on the diff?

Wanted to try my mega cheater bar on it, but didn´t have the real estate under the car to get it to work.

Try jacking it up, just enough to decompress the springs, tires still

touching the ground so things don't get too vivid.

Any other tips people have used to successfully remove a stuck top fill plug on the diff?

Wedge the breaker bar against the ground so lowering the jack

pushes the car's weight against the end.

P.S. Be careful.

Or put the jack under the breaker/cheater bar. You're talking about ridiculous force at this point though. Can you just find a guy with a lift? Cash is king

A lift is probably the answer. The car was on 4 jack stands as high as I could take them when I attempted it. My concern with the ¨lower the car¨ method is having the socket head slip out or strip it.

To the lift it is... or to a local mechanic who has one.

A lift is probably the answer. The car was on 4 jack stands as high as I could take them when I attempted it. My concern with the ¨lower the car¨ method is having the socket head slip out or strip it.

To the lift it is... or to a local mechanic who has one.

Or use a hydraulic jack to turn the breaker bar... free torque up the wazoo. worked fine for me...

That was my problem. was the top of the diff to get the top out. it took my brother holding the ratchet in and me hitting it 10 times with a hamer. it finally came loose. the bottom one was easy. I would really get the pump next time I do it. we had to use a baby bottle to get the fluid in I also didn't jack to car up, but Im small. But it is done.

Like Vitulla said, I could NOT remove my upper diff plug. Impossible. Gave up after about 20 minutes of trying.

Tried a half-inch breaker bar. Nothing. Wanted to try my mega cheater bar on it, but didn´t have the real estate under the car to get it to work.

Couldn´t find the room to get an impact on it either. I tried PB Blastering it before the attempt(s) as well. Maybe I need to just keep the PB on it for a week or more by re-applying it after every ride.

Try this tool, it is a tighter fit in the drain plug than a 1/2" drive.

http://ultimatetoolco.com/drainplugs.aspx

Wal-mart ketchup pump. Think it's around $2.

:lol: Awesome, I'll look

I'm slowly buying all the parts I need as I'm going to change the fluids soon. I found a cool funnel with a tube, measured fill container and drain valve, so I can just measure the quantity and then dump it. T70 Torx on the way through Amazon, $11 shipped.

What size copper crush washer? I don't suppose the oil one is the same size/appropriate?

I thought its a T-60 bit for the tranny. I have one anyway's used it on a friends new pruchase (05GT) on Saturday.

There is no washer that remember seeing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's a T70. I wish it had been a T60 - they are easy to source from the local parts store. T70s pretty much require an online purchase. I couldn't find a washer on the drain plug, but with how tight they often are from the factory, it wouldn't surprise me if it had fused to the plug.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

It's a T70. I wish it had been a T60 - they are easy to source from the local parts store. T70s pretty much require an online purchase. I couldn't find a washer on the drain plug, but with how tight they often are from the factory, it wouldn't surprise me if it had fused to the plug.

My T70 was either $3 or $4 from Autozone, but I have seen them at other chain auto parts stores.

To the 5eat crowd you only need the T70 for the front dif. Tranny plug uses a hex key, not sure of the size though.

I did this today, pretty much easy... but, I put too much oil in the front tranny !

I look at the stick, it was 1/2 Full... so I added a "little" more and PAFF! now I'm 1/2" over the "F". I guest that the upper have a very little space, so it full very fast.

well... do I need to remove it ? I read somewhere that "OK" and even better to have a little more (is that a little or a lot more ?). I tried to suck it up, but seem's that I can't reach the oil, even with the 3/8 funnel...

btw, the car is more smoother now... I didn't notice it at first, maybe the time that the Redline Lightweight Shockproof mix with the 75w90ns !

The manual transmission oil is not a pressurized system, so if its truly overfilled the only downside is that it may dribble stinky 75w90 on your garage floor/driveway.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived