LegacyGT.com

Info on Outback MR Coilovers

jazzymt

don't know who said that, but in other circles its known to be iffy if not poor.

(this is all hearsay so don't take it as fact. just browsing thru different forums, experiences from friends, etc)

Trust me, he was being sarcastic. My DP was far from quality and took lots of "massaging" to get in properly. From my Honda days MR was always known as a cheap/ebay type product. No dig at Paul at all, it just is what it is. I knew this when I purchase the DP :redface:

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I am starting to get worried about mine. My coilovers have been fine since last August/September. Now I am getting this clunk when going over dips in the road. It also makes a slight bumping sound when driving through a parking lot or over a speed bump really slow. The sound is like the Shock is bottoming out.

I have pretty much checked everything to make sure it is tight and cant seem to find the problem.

I hope mine are not in the process of failing.....

I'm planning on it once they open...another 1.5 hrs...
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

lost boostjunkie in hyperspace as well. had frozen ride height adjustments in front mr coils. Megan said two months for lower perches, boostjunkie said he had them in stock, but never got back to me on actually wanting to complete a transaction. two weeks later, megan are gone and back to tokico and swifts. all good again. Don't think that megan are bad for the money, but there must be a reason they are basically half the cost of the some of the other folks.

Well - just when I thought things couldn't get worse...

[snip]

I was driving home from work today - driving down the dirt road to my house and I hear a *bang*. I think, "hrm...that was kinda loud" - drive on for a few more feet and "bangity bang bang bang" - "uh oh...that doesn't sound good."

So, I get out and see this - the front driver side coilover busted off just below the top-hat. The threaded stud is still in it - the rest is crammed into the wheel well. I'll take more pictures of the carnage later - for now, I'm trying to find all the pieces of my old shocks so I can keep driving my car...

Holy hell. That is some scary shit.

Worth noting that if this had failed on you on a freeway there would be as much liability on the re-seller as on the manufacturer.

That is incredibly scary....I had long wanted to add these to my car but this does make me hesitate big time.. On the side I do remember reading that the Megans are an older version of what the BC Racing has....are they made by the same company? Are the newer styles of higher quality? Excuse my ignorance here..just wondering if they are the same thing.

Sorry you have to deal with all this...I hope it works out in your favor.

Megan Racing = Junk. After looking at the MR TBE that my brother bought, I'm amazed this company is still in business. It looked like a 5 year old welded the exhaust...which might in fact be true since it was made in Taiwan.

2005 LGT w/ dom. 3 + meth - Sold.

xo2 :)

oh sh**... i got both of them on my car :-(

Hey, The XO racing FMIC is a quality Product.;):lol:

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I'm planning on it once they open...another 1.5 hrs...

I sent them an email today with a link to this thread. The website said i would hear back in 24 hours.

I sent it because I have these coils as well and I have been having a clunking issue and wouldnt want it to turn into what you have.

So with what happened to yours I think anyone with these ought to be a bit concerned.

Well here is what I sent and what I got back. I used their online email support link.

Thank you for your interest in the megan racing products.

Our Customer Service Department will confirm your request within 24 hours.

Name : Greg nauman

Phone Number :xxx.xxx.xxxx

Contact Type : Tech Support

E-mail Address : gregnauman@comcast.net

Message : I think someone better check out this thread that has been started on the legacygt forum.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91920

If you go to page 4 it gets worse.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91920&page=4

I have a set of these coilovers myself and have had a clunking going on that seems to be the shock bottoming out. I do not find anything loose and I would hate to know that mine are beginning to fail as well.

This could possibly be a very dangerous situation so please check into this.

Regards

Greg Nauman

Independence MO 64057

Thank you! We appreciate your business!

Meganracing.com

E-mail : support@meganracing.com

Delivery Failed and here is what I received back

Reporting-MTA: dns;WHECNSSL01.hosting.corp.gd

Received-From-MTA: dns;WHECNSSL01.hosting.corp.gd

Arrival-Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:54:02 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;steve@meganracing.com

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;553 sorry, your mail was administratively denied. (#5.7.1)

:lol::lol:

Sorry you have to deal with all this...I hope it works out in your favor.

Megan Racing = Junk. After looking at the MR TBE that my brother bought, I'm amazed this company is still in business. It looked like a 5 year old welded the exhaust...which might in fact be true since it was made in Taiwan.

Denial is your best friend

It looked like a 5 year old welded the exhaust...which might in fact be true since it was made in Taiwan.

You do realize that the computer you are using to read and write to this forum is probably made mostly in Taiwan. Some of the world's best electronics are made in Taiwan. So are a lot of high end golf clubs. Taiwan is not China and it's certainly not some backwards third world country that uses illegal child labor as you implied.

there are alot of members on this forum and others that have been running the megan's without any problems. sure, a T1 system will out perform a megan system - that's why it costs much more.

Also, the OP did state he was running AutoX - all variables that will most definitely affect the lifespan of any suspension system. I know chenc544 (above post) is running megan's on his ride... have yet to hear him complain about one thing, even here on our shit-tastic colorado roads.

If the system was not properly lubricated before install, and not installed properly, sure you're going to run into problems with the megan's... it's all about the user and how hard they drive.

brian

You do realize that the computer you are using to read and write to this forum is probably made mostly in Taiwan. Some of the world's best electronics are made in Taiwan. So are a lot of high end golf clubs. Taiwan is not China and it's certainly not some backwards third world country that uses illegal child labor as you implied.

:lol: It was a joke...sorry if i struck a nerve.

2005 LGT w/ dom. 3 + meth - Sold.

i sensed it was a joke so i didn't want to respond but yea, taiwan ain't as bad as china when it comes to certain things. i mean i will say yes there are some ghetto shit that comes out of taiwan but more good come out than bad. (imo)

Well, FWIW I also have the MR Outback coiloves and they are holding up fine so far (crossing fingers). I have done auto-x, rally-x and track events with them and I have been very happy. I just hope Jazzy is the execption rather than the rule.

I also have an MR Up pipe, downpipe, and catback....all have been good to me so far.

I just hope that Paul chimes in here and tries to get things worked out for all parties involved.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

well, FWIW i've been trying to get a case of oil from him for about a week now and pms have been few and far between. i understand he's a busy guy and theres only one of him and it seems like he's doing triple duty nowadays.

he's always been great to me and it's very strange to read this thread, but i know he's taken up a lot of other projects that may be slowing him down a little. not making excuses for him but ive seen his pm box and its usually like shittons of new pms every day

hope this works out for all parties. but honestly paul is a great dude and im sure he's going to make it whole.

as far as quality of megan products go, BC makes their coils. BC also makes coils for apex'i. as far as I'm concerned this is a statement about BC quality, and megan's customer service (which is admittedly lacking). i know their parts used to be known for crappiness but the parts that paul was involved in should be trustworthy.

i have their single tip catback and it's working great, for whatever it's worth. maybe a little too quiet but thats another thread :)

car for sale. PM me!

:lol: It was a joke...sorry if i struck a nerve.

Not a problem, I guess I just read it wrong last night and didn't get the joke. :)

Well, as bsdzine mentioned I also have the Megan OB coilover. So far I haven't had any problem, the set has ~18k miles on them right now. In fact after reading this thread last night I put the car up on ramp to check them over and they looked fine. The caveat is that I don't track the LGT, it's my DD, and most of my miles are highway driving. I have a feeling that the Megan CO might not be robust enough for frequent track duty or off pavement usage. FWIW, I'm running zero pre-loads and pretty much the softest setting on my LGT sedan. Again, you get what you pay for, so if the car is going to be doing heavy track duty I would think investing in a better (read expensive) set of CO is the way to go.

Hoping that this works out for all concerned. If I had a choice of go-to vendors to work something out, I'd choose BoostJunkie in a nano-second - he's an upstanding guy.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've been away from the forum for a few days, but I've been trying to help Jazzy. Here is a copy of my PM string with him concerning the issue. I'll let you guys decide if he is being reasonable or not. Heck by only asking for a picture of the issue I'm just trying to make it easier for him than sending in the whole unit for inspection, and somehow this sh!tstrom gets stirred up...

Seems like he's being pretty demanding of you and isn't really respecting that your just trying to go about this in the best possible manner to get it resolved ASAP.

The funny thing about this is that My JazzyMT Aux in quit working on me after 6 months of useage. Well it didn't quit totally but the right side quit playing and all I got was a brush off saying how that tends to happen after time. LOL Its a $50 part so I didn't pursue it any further. Would have been nice to get a replacement rather than tips on how to fix it myself.

Hey jazzy, how about Paul sends you a jar of grease and an adjusment knob and you fix it yourself?

Archived