LegacyGT.com

Info on Outback MR Coilovers

jazzymt

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Just read through the entire thread and it looks like I got what I paid for.

I purchased and had Paul install a set of these coilovers on my 07. I've put probably 15K on them.

I too have my right front making noise when I go over even the smallest bump(speed bumps) bottoming out or at least that what it sounds like. I took it to subie specialties and they said one of the lock rings had come loose. They tightened it and of course, it is still making that noise....

This past saturday while driving to Santa Clarita Valley, where boostjunkie is located, the right rear strut blew completely. Oil from the cartridge has gone everywhere in the right rear wheel well. Since I was in the area I thought I might be able to have him check it out first hand. I've left boostjunkie three emails/PM's and haven't heard back from him yet...but it's only Tuesday. I do like Paul too but would love if he'd return my messages...anyone have a number for him?

Now I'm driving a badly wounded outback and really don't know what my next move is. Either go back to stock or wait to hear back from him...any suggestions?

Does anyone know if anyone else is making aftermarket adjustable suspensions for the outback? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Here is my PM to Paul asking about my problems on the 22nd but no reply.

Maybe he is out of town or something as I had PM'd him about prices for new cartridges on the 7th and he PM'd me back on the 8th with prices. I then PM'd on the 8th and he responded on the 12th. I PM'd with this on the 22nd and havent heard back

Paul

I have been having some problems with the front of my car that I think are the megan coilovers but I cant seem to figure it out.

If I go over a slight dip in the road or even a speed bump really slow I hear this clunk coming from the front end.

I can even feel it right at your feet say where the floor pan bends up near the pedals.

I originally thought it might be the spanner nuts on the coils but nothing seems loose there although I didnt really crank hard on them with the tool.

I then thought it might be the tophat nuts. I noticed that mine had only 2-3 threads showing with the nut on. So I cranked the tophat nuts with an impact down to about 6-7 threads. Still getting the clunk.

It sounds almost as if when I go over the bump that the car is lifting up and then back down and you hear it like something is loose. Driving me crazy. I have had the wheels off two or three times and the car up on jack stands and cant see anything.

Thats why I was inquireing about new cartridges because i thougt maybe they were blown. Odd thing is you cannot push down on the fender of the car and get it to do this at all, like if you had a back shock/strut.

Any help would be great if you have any ideas. I have worked on cars for years and am really stumped.

It may not even be the coils but I just dont know.

Greg

Paul if you are out there I would like to discuss purchasing some replacement cartridges and then send in my cartridges to see if they are in fact the problem. If we determine that is it then maybe I can get some sort of credit do to others having problems as well.

I am beginning to wonder if we got a bad batch of cartridges.

I drive my car for x-ray service everyday all over the kansas, and Missouri area and I cannot afford for my clunking to turn into a broken cartridge while driving down the road 3-4 hours from home.

I think you guys have the shocks reversed - the one that the adjustment knob fell off didn't break. It's the other one that broke.

Also - the exterior look of the shock is a bit misleading - the shock is the polished part at the top & the piston travels inside that. The the grey part at the bottom is just a housing & the piston rod connects to the bottom of the housing at the adjustment knob.

jazzy how did your replacements turn out?

I'm beginning to think that the fundamental design of these are just plain bad. Let's also consider that they are a small manufacturer and they probably did very little R&D on the development of these.

If I cannot repair these does anyone know of a brand that I can replace these with? I'd love to get even a set a strut/coil combo that works better than stock ya know?

Does Koni, KYB, etc make a strut for this car?

looks like this is an option...even though it looks very, very hard to get. Anyone know in Japan that could help me out? I'll be the test mule.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92260

I've PM'd a couple of members over in Japan, with no results. M.schneider and I are ready with cash in hand to buy sets, but we can't find someone who is over there, and who understands what we are trying to do. Anyone have any japanese car-guy buddies?

looked at japanparts.com, they are available and take roughly 10-15 days to get here. After it's all said and done they are around $2k. As well. Finally, if what I've read from unclemat you will need jdm tophats as well. Not sure about the though. Unclemat? Can you advise?

I've had my MR coilovers for about 1-2 months now. Worst $1000 I have ever spent. But that may be due to my expectations though.

Both front ones have been leaking grease since day one, and now the front right is making a clunking noise whenever i go over any bumps.

If the ride quality was good, I would consider fixing them, but my goal now is to go back to factory and put these MR's in a landfill somewhere.

All I want is something a little firmer than stock. It would be nice if Eibach made springs for the factory stuff. That would make me happy.

Even at full soft, the ride is so harsh that I hate driving people around in my Suby. Every time we go over a bump and get jarred around, my girlfriend looks over at me like "WTF did you do to this car, it's terrible now." Her late 90s Saturn rides better than my Outback does now.

Heard from Paul????

Ill send him a PM, I want to order replacement cartridges and see if that does it.

I also created a thread and poll on these. Hopefully people will take a look and vote.

Maybe they just have a defect in the first run they had and if so I am sure it can be resolved.

I really like them so I am going to give that a shot. Maybe we can get lucky and they will warranty replace them.

I just want to replace the cartridge, and send the old ones in to have evaluated for why the failure after only about 6-8 months.

This will also verify if it is in fact my coilovers that is the problem. I sure cant find anything else it could be

Archived