LegacyGT.com

What bike do you like?

Well gas prices suck ass, and i sold my supra and Trans Am(not because of gas). I have never been a 1 vehicle guy and i can either A) get a nice muscle car for around 7grand or B) get a nice 01-06 bike for 7grand. With gas the way it is im getting a bike, plus its something new for me. I have owned dirt bikes and ATVs, snowmobiles yadda yadda youdda, anyway i want a fast 2 wheel beast. So my question is which bike would you get and WHY.

The Kawazaki ZX10R

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Kawasaki_ZX-10R_2004_blue.jpg/750px-Kawasaki_ZX-10R_2004_blue.jpg

The Suzuki GSXR1000

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2005%5C10%5C04%5Cbikepics-441079-320.jpg

The Yamaha R1

http://www.tradenote.net/images/users/000/234/064/products_images/2004_Yamaha___YZF_R1.jpg

The Honda CBR1000RR

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photos/CBR1000RR_1.jpg

Thanks for the help

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol like i said i have owned dirt bikes, the biggest being a 650 bike that also can be driven on road, so i have driven a 650 around. I have driven many fast vehicles, i know my limits and what i can do, a 1000 is what im getting. The only one of those bike i have actually driven is a GSXR1000 and i admit it was scary when i got on it for the first time but it was also an amazing feeling.

Its not but you said start off with something smaller, and the only thing smaller i would consider is a 600 version of those bikes, but i have driven a 650(often), yes the 600 crotch rockets are faster than my dads 07 kawasaki 650klr but his bike still has some power. Im not gonna buy some 250 katana that i have to sell after 1 month because im a good rider who drives a bike with no balls.

Is there a reason you woud take the honda?

I have a friend who rode a Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 for a few years and went out bought a TL1000. He is now in the hospital on life support.

Just be careful if you decide to go with a 1000cc bike. As for the bikes, I like the R1 the best. Mainly for looks though, to be honest.

Sorry to hear about your friend, but you can do the same damage to yourself on a 1000 as you can a 600. Either way you are falling off vehicle at a certain speed, the only way the size of the bike plays a factor is if you fall off at 130mph+ even most crusing bikes can hit 130.

I feel pretty good on a bike, if i can drive on through trails in Wisconsin at speeds up to 70mph and jumping shit, i feel i can learn pretty fast how to drive around streets. I have driven on streets just no where near as much as i have offroad. And im not planning on getting a 1000 to go 180mph or anything lol, atleast not this summer.

Wow, are you comparing a 650 Dirt or Dual sport bike to a late model 600cc Sportsbike. There is no comparison!! A late model sportsbike will put you on your ass if you don't have experience. I don't care what fast cars you've driving in the past were.

Unless you've owned a car that could go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds I would think long and hard about a 1000 cc sportsbike as your first sportsbike.

Okay, I'm not your dad. When you rode you friend's liter sportsbike were you like "this is really fun" or were you like "O Shit this thing is soooo phuckin' fast"?

Good luck whatever you decide.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Also, it's not a matter of going a 130 mph. It not knowing how to control the throttle on a 1000 cc beast at low speeds. If you lose your concentration for once second the front wheel is in the sky. Trust me, I know.

The only think people are saying is a lower cc bike (600 or 750) is a little more forgiving but could still keep up with the liter bikes.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Also, it's not a matter of going a 130 mph. It not knowing how to control the throttle on a 1000 cc beast at low speeds. If you lose your concentration for once second the front wheel is in the sky. Trust me, I know.

The only think people are saying is a lower cc bike (600 or 750) is a little more forgiving but could still keep up with the liter bikes.

That is exactly what happened with my friend who is in the hospital right now. He was going about 30mph on his TL1000 and punched the gas and wheel came straight up and he went down....punchured lung, broken arm, concussion, and they had to put him in a medically induced coma because he wasn't breathing....While he is off life support now, he has a LONG road to recovery.

Ive ridden 650 twins also and I agree that the new 600's are pretty powerful. I have an 07 zx6r and my brother has a 07 gsxr, both 600s and they even feel more powerful than our 03 600rr and r6. In the end, it's up to you but I guess with your options that you laid out, I'd probably get the gsxr just because of parts availability and parts can be found used for cheap.

You are probably not going to agree with me, what a shocker.

But if you think riding a beast of a motorcycle is like driving a beast of a car, you are going to end up dead.

HP per pound is WAY higher on a bike than even the monster cars that you talk about. HP per square inch of tire contact patch isn't even on the same planet. Traction is a whole different league on a motorcycle. There is FAR less of it, it must ABSOLUTELY be managed differently, and the consequences of losing traction abruptly are deadly.

*It could leave your young child without a Father.* Let that sink in. Let it sink in some more.

A car doesn't tip over, and if you lose traction, you don't necessarily crash in a car. If a bike suddenly grabs traction after having lost it, it will throw you into some sort of inanimate object much easier than a car doing a burn out, and you don't have the car around you to protect you.

Not to be an insult, but you seem like a sort of brash young guy who is very self confident. That is fine, most of the time. However, that kind of thing gets bike riders killed. I am not exaggerating, or using too much hyperbole.

Jet pilots are brash and confident, too. But helicopter pilots are careful, calculating, and intensely observant, to the point of brooding paranoia, for something going wrong, something not feeling right, or something not sounding right, because a helicopter will fall out of the sky if something goes wrong. It will not glide, it falls like a stone, or spins out of control.

A bike rider needs to be much more like the helicopter pilot. If something goes slightly awry, you hit the ground or some other object, usually at a high rate of speed. OR someone hits YOU at a high rate of speed. Car drivers WILL NOT SEE YOU, you have to anticipate them doing the wrong things at the wrong times, and trying to kill you. It is a mindset thing.

Personally, if you are familiar with a 650 dual-sport, I would go for a 650 road/sport bike, and use similar size, and more power in a faster chassis and suspension package before stepping to something even more powerful.

Feeling confident, and actually being confident are two different things. and without street sportbike experience, or possibly even a spill under your belt, you can't possibly BE as confident as you feel. I know for certain that I am not confident on a bike, and I own one. I am wary and a healthy amount of paranoid every time I get on a bike. EVERY time.

Get an SV650. They are common, they are simple, they are competent, and torquey, thus easy to ride. (the power isn't on a switch that gets thrown at 8000 RPMs, it is much more linear.)

once you have mastered it, and ridden it to the point of absolute boredom, then get something that will re-instill a healthy amount of fear.

Get an SV650. They are common, they are simple, they are competent, and torquey, thus easy to ride. (the power isn't on a switch that gets thrown at 8000 RPMs, it is much more linear.)

Agreed. The Suzuki SV650 was going to be my first recommendation. If you want something "sexier" than an SV650, look for a Ducati Monster 750 or 695.

And its not just the power. I have a friend who HAD a ZX10. He went to stop fast in traffic, got pitched over the bars and hit from behind. 6 weeks in hospital and rehab. In his own words, "I got careless". You can get bitten by the brakes too.
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

don't think anyone mentioned the other factor out there on the roads: idiot drivers like the one I hit who cut in front of me. T-boned her somewhere between 25mp-35mph and hit the I beam with my head.

thank God for helmets.

get the 650 or a ducati!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

First of all, i just wanna say i didnt ask for your thoughts on what sizre bike i should ride. I gave you 4 bikes and asked what one would you choose and why, almost none of you actually did what i asked and answered the question. I know what the hp rating is on my dads 650 compard to a sportsbike, i know what they can do i have had many many friends who own them. I know im a novice rider when it comes to the street, i didnt ask for your opinons on comparing a 600 to a 1000. So thank you all for not helping at all.

I was hoping to get the opinon of people who actually rode these bikes or some of them and what they did and didnt like compared to other bikes, the truth is none of you acutally know me and or what im capable of and the truth about most motorcycle accidents is that its some dumbass person in a car who didnt see the biker because they dont check good enough. I understand that sportsbikes are extremely fast, dont think im goin to be treating this like a toy, i understand the dangers.

When i rode my friends GSXR1000 i thought it was one of the most amazing feelings, to answer someones question. And he is selling his bike so that will probably be the one i buy. Just for the simple fact its a 03 GSX1000 with 11kmiles for 3500

Archived