LegacyGT.com

What bike do you like?

THREE HOURS???

Maybe if you had ridden a manageable bike for THREE SEASONS, maybe you'd be ready for an expert-level bike.

The R6 is usually a bit manic for most beginners, having so little torque, until you rev it to the moon, it takes a bit more skill to keep it on the boil without over-doing it.

Other 600s, like a CBR600-F4 (NOT the RR) are pretty good for sport bike beginners. There was a Kawasaki 600, like a ZZ-R or something (IIRC), (not the 636RR) that is similar. Yamaha YZF600R (NOT R6) and FZR-600 machines, also.

600cc Bandit, or even the GSX-R 600 were a bit more manageable.

Suzuki's expert middle-weight was always the 750, anyway, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda don't really play 750cc much, just Suzuki, and Ducati's junior-Superbikes. Y,K, and H just finely honed their 600cc machines to the bleeding edge, like R6, 600RR and kawasaki's 636 Ninja.

The F4, YZF, and ZZ-R were basically front-line sport bikes in the late 90s and early 2000s, which became second-line 600s later, when the sharper RR-class 600s came out a few years ago, and pushed the envelope further toward expert-level 600cc machines.

A sport standard, like an SV650, Bandit 600, Yamaha FZ6, Kawasaki's new 650, or ancient 500 ninja, Honda's 599 (Hornet 600 in europe), are probably some of the best, both to start with, and with soft-bags and a bit of a fairing/windsheild to commute with.

You might even survive on a VFR800, or a Superhawk (1000cc, but a V-twin, and not overkill. RC51 is definitely too much for a beginner, possibly even MORE overkill than the 954RR) A 1000cc Monster, or SV1000-S, or FZ-1 liter-class sport standards are good, but usually a good second motorcycle, rather than first.

You see, there are all kinds of bikes smaller, yet fun, for a beginning street rider.

To be honest, I feel quite comfortable, and nearly ready for an upgrade from my 650cc V-twin sport-standard. Mostly due to the size of the motorcycle, rather than the size of the engine (Honda Hawk GTs are extremely compact motorcycles), but even with less power than even the most basic bikes I just listed above, the modest power of my little hawk isn't something I've out-grown.

I feel ready to handle more, but I don't feel that what I have is sorely lacking. Even an SV650 has more power than my little hawk, and is the SV is quite adequate for two-wheeled fun on public roads, or even a bit of track work.

Believe me, it is much better to be a comfortable and confident rider on a manageable machine, than barely in control of a machine that you don't know how to handle if a situation arises. You won't see that in three hours of practice.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes three hours, and i never said i want an expert in any of my posts, 3 hours on sport bikes and probably 50-60hours on the KLR, im getting a sport bike END OF STORY. So hows grandma doin mom?:lol:

I dont rellay liek the feel or the sound of the v-twin anywhere near as much as the 4cylinder sport bikes

You have never said you were an expert. You have proven that you are not.

Yet you are wanting to buy a bike that *requires* expert skills, and thinking that is perfectly appropriate. It isn't.

Do you need your pacifier, baby Guru? :rolleyes:

As I've said... do what you want. Make sure your child is taken care of when you turn yourself into a skin crayon, like so many already have who have said all of the same things you've said, before.

Does anyone know where I can buy an F-16? I am going to get my pilot's license and I am going to get one right after my first check ride.
There's a Harley rider in town who keeps a MIG at the airport. I guess the Harley is like a gateway drug?

Of the four bikes you originally listed I like the Kawasaki ZX10R.

But since I see you are also considering smaller bikes (Which I highly recommend, over the large bike) I would recommend the Suzuki GSXR750 or the Honda CBR600RR.

The Susuki GSXR750 being my favorite of all three. To me this is the perfect sportbike. It has a perfect balance of power and handling. Liter bikes are too large to really throw around in the twistys and 600s don't have the low end torque that you can get out of the 750 or 1000's.

Well the trq difference between the 600 and 750 is only about 7-10 but i do agree its a good balance since its only 12lbs heavier than a 600. I was goin to pick up an 954rr but the guy just told me someone is picking it up for alot more than he was asking and alot more than i wanted to pay. So there is a gsxr750 all white forsale and a cbr600f4i and a zx9r that im looking at tommorow through saturday, hopefully before the weekend is out i will have a bike.

Well the trq difference between the 600 and 750 is only about 7-10.

7-10 is a huge difference!!!! It's a 20% increase. Also the difference in torque at different RPMs is much greater. Look at a dyno chart. A 600 has a pretty steep torque curve with most of the torque at the high end. A 750's tourque curve is much flatter. So while at peak the numbers between a 600 and a 750 may be spread by 20%, @ 3000-4000rpms the spread is probably closer to a 50% increase or better.

I never said the 750 isnt a great bike infact i said its a great balance, but they are also harder to find in good shape with the amount of miles im looking for. Plus the only ones i have found are 99s or older in my area and i want fuel injection which is 01 and up

You may want to consider traveling a little. I have bought a couple of bikes/cars that were a good distance away from my house. You can save $1000's of dollars. I live in NJ. I bought a bike at a dealer in Tennesee for $2,000 less then I could in my area. The plane ticket cost me $150. The Dealer picked me up @ the airport. Took a 2 day trip and rode it home. Was actually a great trip.

No, but the woodmans down the street my house has balls on sale, you should pick up a pair:spin:

:lol:

That is a funny statement coming from a young kid that has never knowingly put his life in danger to a guy that has.

If you want "balls" to be the reason you remove yourself from the gene pool, have at it dude. I am a firm believer in natural selection weeding out those not fit to continue passing on their genes.

Here's what you've been waiting for,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/becoolbefool/IMG00110.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/becoolbefool/IMG00111.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/becoolbefool/IMG00112.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/becoolbefool/IMG00113.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/becoolbefool/IMG00114.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/becoolbefool/IMG00115.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/becoolbefool/IMG00116.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/becoolbefool/IMG00117.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/becoolbefool/IMG00118.jpg

Get better soon Matt!

I would get something smaller first.

Good luck :)

REALLY GOOD ADVICE!^^^

I have a Kawasaki ZX-6R and it's a lot of bike. I'm pushing 200lbs and I can bring the front end straight up really easy.

Buy a 2-3k learning bike first.

You may find a 600-750 has more then enough power for you.

To answer your question.... those are all really good bikes.

The GSXR is one of the most well known bikes out there.

The Kawa consistently gets rave reviews.

The Honda, well it's a Honda :)

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

That is a funny statement coming from a young kid that has never knowingly put his life in danger to a guy that has.

If you want "balls" to be the reason you remove yourself from the gene pool, have at it dude. I am a firm believer in natural selection weeding out those not fit to continue passing on their genes.

And you continue to post even though i said i didnt want people to post on this thread who were just gonna talk about me killing myself. I also like how you continue to talk about me like you know who i am lol.

I test drove another 954rr very fun bike oh and i didnt even crash it lol, the point is i know how to ride yes the 954 was a big bike, but i have driven quite a few liter bikes. Im goin to look at a GSXr600 tommorow and a 600f4i and another r6, as you can see i am considering 600s not because i feel the liter bikes are too fast but because after driving quite a few i feel like i have more fun when i ride the 600s. In fact the speed of that 954 was a scary and beautiful thing, i could see myself getting used to that with ease but its just not as fun to drive. Its just easier to move around the 600s, the 954 felt a little top heavy and it took alot of lean to get it to corner. I will probably go with a 600 or 750(if i can find one) since they are just more fun to ride IMO. and they rev higher which i like rpms

And you continue to post even though i said i didnt want people to post on this thread who were just gonna talk about me killing myself. I also like how you continue to talk about me like you know who i am lol.

I test drove another 954rr very fun bike oh and i didnt even crash it lol, the point is i know how to ride yes the 954 was a big bike, but i have driven quite a few liter bikes. Im goin to look at a GSXr600 tommorow and a 600f4i and another r6, as you can see i am considering 600s not because i feel the liter bikes are too fast but because after driving quite a few i feel like i have more fun when i ride the 600s. In fact the speed of that 954 was a scary and beautiful thing, i could see myself getting used to that with ease but its just not as fun to drive. Its just easier to move around the 600s, the 954 felt a little top heavy and it took alot of lean to get it to corner. I will probably go with a 600 or 750(if i can find one) since they are just more fun to ride IMO. and they rev higher which i like rpms

everything else aside...

I find the above statements hilarious from an avowed pushrod V8 fanatic.

The pendulum swings far to the opposite characteristics when it comes to bikes, evidently.

Time to quit talking and start buying ;)

Lol i am buyign a bike this weekend, i was gonna go today but we are getting severe rain storms all day, im pretty sure im picking up a silver andblack GSXr600 ill post pics if i get it

So i got a 2001 600f4i 13kmiles paid 3800 clean and clear title, it had full exhaust and a powercommander, basically the same mods as my lgt but its a little faster lol. I have pics on the camera for anyone who cares :cool: the guy claimed he had it on a dyno where it made 116 to the rear wheels, about 12-15hp over stock

Archived