LegacyGT.com

What bike do you like?

Montana, you make very good points.

But this is a guy who hasn't been commuting on a bike "since forever", he has barely started riding a bike in traffic, and he is talking about getting a VERY different machine than your R1200C.

The characteristics of an 550+ lb, flat twin torquey cruiser are significantly different than a 400lb near-race-ready supersport. And much more forgiving on the R1200C.

Guru,

Go ask this question on any bike forum with members older than 25 years old. Ones who have been down, and got back on a bike, rather than just selling it, and leaving motorcycles behind.

Count how many of them laugh you off the forum. Multiply that by ten for all the people laughing too hard off-line to actually comment.

You'd get chewed up on the motorcycle forum I used to frequent, but they are quirky, a bit old-school, and very serious about their motorcycling. The antithesis of a "squid."

Most motorcyclists have seen this happen over and over again, and warnings continue to go unheeded, and stupid accidents continue to happen.

Sometimes people sound like fathers because fathers do indeed sometimes know best. Guru IS a father, and should know better than he is showing himself to be. Any father, and most men in general should know that being serious about things is due to legitimate concern for others. Heaven forbid.

Motorcycling IS worth the work to learn how to be a skillful and competent rider. The loss of limb and life are not worth the instant gratification of being a stupid one.

If the risk were small, and if the chances were slight, people like me wouldn't bother warning people like Guru in situations like this.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see real bias in some of the responses in this topic. It is with sincere intent to be helpful that newbies on this forum are given straight answers when posting "247 hp stock? WTF? I need this GT to do better than that! Yeah, it's my daily driver." Ha ha ha! I'm probably one of the few people on this board that live in an area where I can take these cars out and flail them on the open road. I don't warn everyone else, "Oh, you'll never be able to handle the power of a tuned GT in around-town traffic. Just get an old VW, it's got all the power you'll need."

That's not the only bike I've owned or ridden. It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it. You're a better rider if the bike fits you and your use. Maybe he's only got a 26" inseam and only a sport bike fits? I find them a bit small, especially the Hondas; I've got a 32" inseam and a long reach. At least give the guy some useful info.

And, Yeah, the newer fuel-injected light-weight sportbikes will rip off your throttle hand in a heart-beat.

what do you mean bias? Bias against senselessness?

And if you honestly think that 250 horsepower in a 3400lb AWD sedan is the same thing as ~150hp in a 400lb motorcycle, with a single, conical section rear tire... Then I would have to re-evaluate what you seem to claim to know about motorcycles.

Your comment "Its not what you ride, it's how you ride it." is a little technically naive.

It IS what you ride, AND how you ride it. BOTH matter very much.

Cruisers and Supersports are different animals, and 1000cc+ supersports require MORE skill than any other class of motorcycle to ride. Much more than even big cruisers.

But trying to equate comments about Legacys and motorcycles is also naive, at best.

The Legacy is FAR from over powering it's traction, and it has a 5-star best in class safety rating, 6 airbags, and structural steel safety cage, crumple zones, and everything else.

A 1000cc sportbike can over power it's traction with stock horsepower with merely a thought, and a mis-judged action. And that misjudgement has consequences. The safety equipment in car is not there. You get thrown off, and all that there is between you, rocks and hard places is a piece of plastic on your head, and leather on your ass.

People are statistically FAR FAR FAR more likely to die in even a minor motorcycle accident, than in some severe car accidents with modern cars.

IF it is a matter of inseam, there are 400-650cc sport bikes that have low seat heights. There is NO reason for a NOVICE RIDER to ride a 1000cc+ sport bike as their first purchased street bike. NONE WHATSOEVER. That doesn't fit any novice's "use", unless they want to show off, play around, and get themselves hurt or worse.

I am more than a novice rider, but not an expert rider, and I know that and know my comfort zone. I would not ride a 1000cc supersport, unless it were one of the more tame models, like a Triumph Daytona or SV1000-S, which have much less high-strung, lower power, higher torque engines, and NOT instant-on power delivery, and not needle-sharp rake angles.

I KNOW that am not that good of a rider to trust myself to maintain basic safety on the bikes Guru is listing. Riding one up and down the block once is FAR different than owning and riding it every day. An early false sense of security is almost guaranteed, even after a few days. No one can learn the techniques and experience to handle that sort of bike in that short of time. Some are lucky to learn that skill level in years.

I have heard of far too many people dying on those bikes, who weren't ready to ride them in the first place.

The self awareness of my own skill level helps keep me rubber side down. I have no faith in Guru's self awareness whatsoever, merely based on his comments in this thread. That is his problem, not mine, but I would be remiss without making my points about safety and knowing your own skill level, honestly.

The characteristics of an 550+ lb, flat twin torquey cruiser are significantly different than a 400lb near-race-ready supersport. And much more forgiving on the R1200C.

Not to mention the difference between 61 crank hp and 150+ crank hp. :rolleyes:

Maybe you all mean well - I'll give you the benefit of doubt - but take an objective look at yourselves. You sound like a bunch of dicks. Diss the OP left and right, and then act all surprised when he calls you on your presumptuous / pretentious attitudes. Way to go.

He asked for an opinion and then shuns the results.

My first, and other people's advice were not disrespectful, and he came back and said "thanks for nothing, jerks." My responses have taken a turn from there.

That attitude proves every single one of my points, and will put him at HIGH risk on the machines he is chosing from.

Plus, Guru and I have mixed it up many times before.

I don't give a flying crap if I "look like a dick." If he listens and takes the information seriously, he will stay safer, and enjoy motorcycling more in the long run, than if he goes down the path he seems to prefer, and gets in WAY over his head without admitting it to himself.

I'll gladly play "the dick" if it will turn out better in the end. It isn't about me being right. It is about the right information being put forward, and helping him, or anyone else in a similar choice, make the right one, and preserve themselves from unnecessary harm.

That is the damn problem with so many things. So few people want to risk "appearances" for what really needs to be said or done. So those things aren't said, and don't get done, we all still "look like nice guys", and we're worse off for it.

Politics, religion, safety, cars, motorcycles, or any other topic that you can name. If you sacrifice reality for "appearance", you do yourself a huge disservice.

There is no point in giving advice that isn't wanted, because it won't be heeded. Likewise there is no point in reiterating advice that has been rejected, you're wasting your time and earning nothing but resentment.
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

Thing is, it's sometimes hard to tell when someone is being helpful and and when someone is just being a pretentious a-hole because they enjoy dissing other people for sport. The more you repeat yourself, the more you look like the latter - as per lkjohnson's post. That goes double in an environment like this where you're surrounded by people who clearly are in it for sport (or maybe rao is just a moron who totally failed at reading comprehension - see his first post in this thread).

There's no harm trying, but there's also no point gang-banging. Unless you just like gang-banging online.

your ego can and will kill you if you don't smarten the hell up.

You ego can also make you look like a a-hole. :lol:

Or would that be e-hole?

And for the record, I wasn't talking about you, Iwanna. Your messages were pretty straightforward.

IF it is a matter of inseam, there are 400-650cc sport bikes that have low seat heights. There is NO reason for a NOVICE RIDER to ride a 1000cc+ sport bike as their first purchased street bike. NONE WHATSOEVER. That doesn't fit any novice's "use", unless they want to show off, play around, and get themselves hurt or worse.

I am more than a novice rider, but not an expert rider, and I know that and know my comfort zone. I would not ride a 1000cc supersport, unless it were one of the more tame models, like a Triumph Daytona or SV1000-S, which have much less high-strung, lower power, higher torque engines, and NOT instant-on power delivery, and not needle-sharp rake angles.

I KNOW that am not that good of a rider to trust myself to maintain basic safety on the bikes Guru is listing. Riding one up and down the block once is FAR different than owning and riding it every day. An early false sense of security is almost guaranteed, even after a few days. No one can learn the techniques and experience to handle that sort of bike in that short of time. Some are lucky to learn that skill level in years.

I have heard of far too many people dying on those bikes, who weren't ready to ride them in the first place.

The self awareness of my own skill level helps keep me rubber side down. I have no faith in Guru's self awareness whatsoever, merely based on his comments in this thread. That is his problem, not mine, but I would be remiss without making my points about safety and knowing your own skill level, honestly.

Wow, you finally made some good points and provided some basis for your concerns. Thanks. I hope Guru reads your comments and doesn't avoid this topic after the last go around.

The bias is always towards motorcycles being dangerous with no consideration that they can be great transportation choices. I get a bit tired of the Churchy aspect of the motorcycling clubs, "Join us! Ride a bike and experience the freedom of the road." It's not a sport or a hobby by definition, no more so than buying a GT and insisting it must be modded. Besides, life is risk management. Not everyone who decides to ride a motorcycle is a fool. Just the ones on You Tube.

Has the OP considered a sport touring bike instead of a full on liter class sport bike? For his commute a sport tourer would seem like a much better, much more comfortable choice, that still happens to be retarded fast.

I don't ride (yet) and am not going to go out and buy a really powerful bike when I do start (1-2 years from now). If I were to try that, knowing I want the machine as a way to get to work (24 miles away) I would look at a sport touring machine myself, I have sat on a few owned by friends and they seem way way more comfortable. I can't imagine spending 45 minutes twice a day hunched over the tank of a sport bike five days a week, and being happy about it.

This point has been made before, but its still a good one. Spending 45 minutes twice a day on a bike demands comfort. Everything else is just extra. The R600RR has more performance than the 600F4 but the F4 is way more comfortable, and only slightly slower.
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

if your going to go go fast. Hayabusa, why settle for second? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

While he's at it, to reduce weight and maximize velocity he should shun wearing any heavy clothing like a riding suit, boots, or helmet.

Hayabusa? Please...Try the Suzuki B-King. I mean, if you're gonna dream...

I've got a couple of friends with 11-13 bikes each. It's fun to pick and choose and I so-o-o could justify having more bikes. Except for the cost and the garage space issues, of course. It's tough to pick just one.

I didn't read any of the other posts because it seemed to be getting into an arguement of whether or not you are mature/capable enough to ride one. I want to give my $0.02. I started out on a Suzuki DR250 for about 2 years. Last year I graduated to a SV650S. I like the SV a lot and I feel it is a good compromise on a cruiser v. sport (plus. It is very nimble and has decent power. I will say that I am feeling like I could do with some more power. I plan on keeping the SV through this season and then possibly step up. I like the 650 because it is relatively forgiving and pretty easy to adjust to. Before stepping up to a liter I will be taking a class or two. This is my experience and my feelings.

For a recommendation as to a 1000cc bike I would look at the GSXR. I have had good luck with Suzuki's and I have read good things about the GSXR. A few videos to help you with the decision:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv1dFgAT-jQ]YouTube - Suzuki GSX-R1000 - 2008 Superbike Smackdown[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et12AKd4SNI]YouTube - Onboard the GSX-R1000[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx1CkPcICaY]YouTube - Ghost Rider - Fuck Police[/ame]

For 1 because im a friend, and 2 because it was dropped once, i was there when it happened. It wasnt even a full drop, it was caught but still hit the ground a little, there is 1 scratch and the left blinker broke, so no the blinker is held on with some plexi glass. He coudl still probably get 5500-6500 for a bike that year and those miles with the scratch. I had a daughter 6 months ago, the only time i plan on using the bike is mainly for work, which is a 45minute drive on the freeway so there will be a helmet and kevlar coat used. I will drive it when its nice and i dont have the baby but shes usually with me on weekends whenever we go anywhere

This is going to sound a little odd but you should buy life insurance if you do not have enough already. Given your daughter is a baby you want at least 300k for her and then if you own a home and have debt you want enough to cover that. I bought a $1,000,000 (20 year term, 30 years old, non-smoker, good health) policy on myself last year and it is $444 a year. Stuff is cheap now.

i would actually consider doin that

So, did you hit up any motorcycle forums yet?

If so, how hard did they laugh at you for wanting to start street riding on a liter bike?

Just asking because I have been thinking about getting a bike and I have done some research on bikes good for a beginning street rider. Needless to say, most experienced riders on most forums are horrified at the idea of a newbie starting with a 600cc sport bike, much less a liter bike.

i would actually consider doin that

I work in the financial services field and sell insurance. Of course I would be happy to explain it all. I would suggest filling it an app online (unless you live in NH, MA, or VT then I could help). Even if you don't get a bike you should have it anyway to cover your income if anything should happen.

So, did you hit up any motorcycle forums yet?

If so, how hard did they laugh at you for wanting to start street riding on a liter bike?

Just asking because I have been thinking about getting a bike and I have done some research on bikes good for a beginning street rider. Needless to say, most experienced riders on most forums are horrified at the idea of a newbie starting with a 600cc sport bike, much less a liter bike.

No, i didnt have a chance to go on the internet this weekend, i was too busy riding my friends R6 and my other friends GSXr1000 around. We finally hit 80 yesterday but then at 8pm the cold front moved in and now its 45 lol. I never pegged the gsxr but the r6 i did in 3rd gear. My friend with the gsxr told me he would give me 200bucks if i floored his 1000 all the way through 1st geat, and i told him he would be paying alot more than 200bucks to get his bike fixed.

Also im not a beginning street rider im a beginning sportbike rider, i rode my dads klr650 many times on the street and trail, people on here saay its not comparable to a sportbike which is true but what do you expect me to ride when you say a sportbiek is too much and anything else isnt comparable. You gotta start somewhere, im probably picking up an 02 954RR next weekend, if everything goes to plan.

Also im not a beginning street rider im a beginning sportbike rider, i rode my dads klr650 many times on the street and trail, people on here saay its not comparable to a sportbike which is true but what do you expect me to ride when you say a sportbiek is too much and anything else isnt comparable. You gotta start somewhere, im probably picking up an 02 954RR next weekend, if everything goes to plan.

You do gotta start somewhere... and that should be somewhere far below a liter class bike.

We didn't say that a sport bike is too much. You obviously haven't listened, and you are in your own little world of wanting what you want.

I, and the rest have said that ~1000cc is too much. A smaller sport bike would probably be fine, and a better bike to learn on.

500-650ccs, especially a V-twin, like the SV650 or Ducati Monster is much more tractable, and a much better place to start.

Sport bikes are classified by ergonomics and handling. There are many other sport bikes than 900-1200cc superbike-class, or 1200cc+ ultra-sports. Those machines are expert level, and you aren't, no matter how many miles you've put on a KLR.

Would you let a 16 year old who just got their license last month drive one of your favored 600+hp cars? Even if they had 500 miles under their belt, and had just learned to use a clutch?

This is worse.

/ Sorry, I know said I was done. but I just couldn't let the "You gotta start somewhere.... 954RR next weekend" comment go unchallenged. That is sheer denial or lunacy, or both.

Which is why im practicing on there r6s and gsxr1000. Both bikes are already scratched from previous riders so they dont mind me driving them, i took the r6 for 2 hours on sunday and the gsxr for 1 hour on saturday. Im hoping to pick up this guys 954rr since my friend has decided not to sell his gsxr since im getting a bike lol. Now having driven a 600 i would consider either of those 4 bikes in 600 form. I really like the way the r6 felt, redline was like 15grand which was fun lol. If the deal with the 954 falls through i would probably pick up a 600, but the guy only wants 4grand for an 02 954rr with a new paint job clean title and 9300miles.

Iwannasportssedan- i just dont think we will ever think the same, you think im dumb and ignorant for wanting suck a fast bike, i think your a little bit of a pussy. Sometimes you make me suspect that my mom has made a name on legacygt.com and is just on here to tell me not to do things from a peer position lol.

Archived