LegacyGT.com

Pics of DIYand painted grills

lvethesnow

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ The more of these I see, the less I know what to do. :lol:

I know I want to black-out, but I'm just not sure if I want to do wings only, or the entire thing.

Arrrgh!!!!!!! :D

I think I should start with wings only, but I'd love to get it all done in just one shot!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Ah!!! Good point!!! I had not thought of that!!! :D Thankyee!!! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Is their a way to attach it without using the zip ties? I want the aluminum look and fear they would show too much. Thanks

I don't know of any other way but I'm sure you could figure something out. You could probably find grey or clear zip ties that would blend in better. I can only see the zip ties on mine when I am standing right in front of the grill lookin for them. I can send you a higer resolution photo if you would like to take a closer look.

I don't know of any other way but I'm sure you could figure something out. You could probably find grey or clear zip ties that would blend in better. I can only see the zip ties on mine when I am standing right in front of the grill lookin for them. I can send you a higer resolution photo if you would like to take a closer look.

Yes, please send me one. I am this close to doing it, just deciding which way to go. I don't want the recessed so this is the front runner.

a.lim's is my favorite for a white Legacy. Unfortunately my car is the dark gray, so I'm not sure how this would look on mine.

And SneakyFast's is just amazing. I love the off-center GT emblem and yet it still looks really simple and refined. Great idea.

I'm going to ponder this for awhile before I can decide what to do.

Yes, please send me one. I am this close to doing it, just deciding which way to go. I don't want the recessed so this is the front runner.

PM me your email address and I'll send you the picture. I'm in the middle of moving right now so it might take me a day or two.

gotta get mine on and i'll shoot some pics.

Ok, done. Probably about the easiest thing I've ever done to the car. Took 5-10 minutes to swap out grills. I love the Plasti-kote Metallic Flake. Has the same slight sparkle as the OEM plastic except a true black vs. a dark graphite. (painted entire grill...3 coats clear Plasti-kote plastic primer, 5 coats Plasti-kote black metallic flake)

Take a look....

Before1.JPG.bc85d6690b0654b925fcae7615be3c9a.JPG

Before2.JPG.2c433d5738c8eb0f5182a70ee30b0617.JPG

HoodUp.JPG.95c10f4835c1c35c2f9580172da6fa1e.JPG

After1.JPG.99f89f3b6f0328100cea9f6147630e24.JPG

After2.JPG.5a5fa6f65b5b071786e29e459bdd9dc4.JPG

CloseUp1.JPG.4a203baac7d12ef06b7fec6752cf74b2.JPG

CloseUp2.JPG.a433ea11b577f4ef28a9a3fa6311e9ea.JPG

IMG_8517.JPG.71ee1dd4afa9c367bec6262e47f3eb67.JPG

Ok, done. Probably about the easiest thing I've ever done to the car. Took 5-10 minutes to swap out grills. I love the Plasti-kote Metallic Flake. Has the same slight sparkle as the OEM plastic except a true black vs. a dark graphite. (painted entire grill)

Take a look....

Turned out really nice. I think on the lighter colored cars it looks best when the whole grill is done dark, but on the dark colored cars it needs to keep the chrome surround to provide some definition between the the grill opening and the rest of the front end.

The painted wings retain the styling line across the front of the vehicle but make it more subtle. Keeping the wings bright while only darkening the surround makes it look too much like a Taurus grill to me.

Mesh grills without any type of emblem on them look like too much of a gaping hole to me, especially on the dark cars.

Those are just my personal preferences. Bottom line is whatever look you like then it's right for your car.

^ FWIW, that's about what I think, too.

But as with TRS, that's just my opinions - in the end, it's what *you* like, on *your* car, that counts. :)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/outahere2/R4C2TH5wFFI/AAAAAAAAAFs/7cpwJdLoeq8/s400/DSC00388.JPG

Very nice! I was thinking about trying that on my '99 GT, and wasn't sure how it would look. But DANG! That looks awesome. I'll definitely have to try that. How'd you trim out around the lights? It looks like there's something gray between the light and the mesh...but it's kind of hard to tell...

Looks great!

Thanks for the compliment. I cut out the oval trim from a piece of 1/8" ABS plastic sheet. I also used the same ABS material to mount the emblem, and as a filler for the areas of the "grille surround" that were hacked out.

I attached the ABS ovals to the mesh with Devcon Plastic Welder (epoxy).

If you are asking if those are fogs lamps, the answer is no. They are Hella FF50 driving lamps, to supplement the high beams. Not many street lights around here!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/outahere2/R4C1y35wFDI/AAAAAAAAAFc/AjpHQ5ZNkOY/s800/DSC00398.JPG

you have my vote for coolest most useful grill

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Overkill IMO.

he had a viable reason to do it like that

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Overkill IMO.

:rolleyes:

Trust me, brother outahere is among the most knowledgeable here in terms of lighting technology - if he's done it, it's not because he just thinks it looks cool, it's because he truly *needs* it. :)

Archived